AM workout/what to eat???

kblvr

Cathlete
My plan had been to workout in the evenings after everything was done. The problem that I have run into is that I never get everything done-esp with two little ones! Lol!

So I am going to start getting up at 4 am to get my workout in. I know some people workout on an empty stomach that early, but I can not-I would never make it through! I've also heard to eat something an hour before working out-that is not going to happen.

What do people eat when when working out so early? A friend of mine suggested using No Xplode for an extra boost since it should be taken on an empty stomach. I would prefer to eat something natural though. I heard on Dr. Oz that a good metabolism booster is to have a 30/30/30 protein smoothie within 30 min of waking up: 1/3 c of almonds (I use 1/4c), 1/2 c of frozen berries, and 1 c of Greek yogurt. I have to add milk or it won't blend. I was thinking of making this before my workout, but then thought this would be a good recovery drink? What are your thoughts?

Thanks so much for your help!

Before I started working out on an empty stomach I would eat a banana before my early morning work outs...

Before morning workouts or races, I have smoothie. Usually 1 frozen banana, water or coconut water, a spoonful of chia seeds. To that, I add Vega preworkout energizer (açaí flavor) and/or a small handful of goji berries or of a berry trail mix (açaí, mulberry, Incan goldenberry).

I have a banana and a bowl of oatmeal (1/2 c dry cooked on the stove the old fashioned way) with 1/8 cup low fat milk.

I find that it gives me enough energy for the workout but doesn't leave me feeling too full to work out. That smoothie, IMHO, sounds great for a post-workout meal, but too much for pre-workout.

But everyone is different....

hi there,

i typically work out early morning on an empty stomach. I have to have coffee which I set up the night before. When I am feeling too hungry to workout, I eat half a banana, take a few spoonfuls of yoghurt (non-dairy) and shove a half-dozen raw almonds in my face. That snack can last me for a couple of hours - at least.

I have a Bio-K+ probiotic mini-drink or a small yogurt - about 50 calories. Then I drink about 12 oz of water and of course make a bathroom trip. I'm working out by 10 minutes after I get up.

Stebby

I eat 1/2 of a banana, drink a glass of water, wait 15 minutes, and get to work! I tried working out on an empty stomach, but it just didn't work for me; I felt sluggish and weak. You may need to play around with you pre-workout eats. When I switched to morning workouts awhile back, it took me a few workouts to find the perfect food/amount to fuel me through my workouts without that full/nauseated feeling. Good luck!

Katie

I used to do a banana and some almonds, but since there are almonds in that smoothie I didn't want to have them twice. I'll try just the banana and see how that goes. I was also thinking of having some toast with peanut butter. Thank you for all the suggestions!

I have a cup of tea and that is it. But if I wake up really hungry I will have tea with a slice of Alvarado bread with nut butter.

I always work out in the morning, about 5:00am, on an empty stomach. Otherwise, I find that I have to make a trip to the bathroom near the end of my workout. The only thing I drink before a work out is a nice tall glass of ice water, and that seems to do the job. I too start my work out within 10 or 15 minutes of waking up.

I second the banana. Its great, doesn't seem to come up on me:eek: Now, I usually do it without anything to eat first. If I'm on a run, I carry a Think Thin bar, but I don't usually eat it.

Alisha

I second the banana. Its great, doesn't seem to come up on me:eek: Now, I usually do it without anything to eat first. If I'm on a run, I carry a Think Thin bar, but I don't usually eat it.

Alisha

Agree, agree.

Yogurt or any dairy would make me sick first thing in the morning as would any large volume of liquid.

I also prefer a little banana or part of a think thin bar.

Lately though I've been doing STS weight workouts on an empty stomach with no problem. I run in the afternoons so that's not an issue. If I ran in the morning, I would eat something.

Either 1/4 cup dry oats or 1/2 an english muffin with enough water to wash it down. I hate being all burpy during morning workouts, so I also cannot do any kind of shake, and I don't like bananas. Those slower digesting carbs help me power through a workout.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.