Am I too strict of a parent?

I have a two 13 year old boy and girl. I am having the most trouble with my daughter. She thinks she should be dropped off at the movies with her friends without any adult supervision. I told her that would never happen. She makes the comment that all of her friends have something to do on saturday nights. My god, these are 13 year old children.

I talk to her and let her know that there will be no dating until she is sixteen. I have explained this to her without being so harsh. I just don't know if they will rebel. that is something I'm afrail of.

I did some of your opinions on this and how can I keep this from turning into rebellion.

Parenting I the Hardest job in this lifetime.

kim

I have a 16 year old daughter and a 14 year old son so I know what you are talking about. In my opinion, I think you just need to stick with your guns and they will come around. You know what is best for them. You don't have to smother them as you can allow them to have their "space" when it is appropriate so they don't feel the need to "rebel". Just keep things in a good balance for them and let them know you are the one in charge. When you say something, stick with it. Don't ever change your mind or they will know they can manipulate you to get their way. JMHO

Charlotte~~

I have no advice for you, I can offer you many e-hugs and thoughts, though, as I know that this is challenging and I am not looking forward to my turn. All I can say is encourage your daughter, let her know that you love her very much and the reason that you have these rules is to protect and to help her down the right path in life. It will probably be a decade, or even not until she has kids, when she will realize how good of a mother you really are for enforcing rules and appreciate you, so don't feel discouraged. I didn't appreciate my mother, I mean really appreciate her, until my daughter got into school.

I would let her make SOME decisions on her own, though, so that she doesn't feel like you are trying to dictate her life. It is good for kids to have some freedom and responsibility or they won't know how to make the right choices when they are faced with something. Just always follow your gut, it is usually right. If something doesn't feel right, don't let her do it or go along with it. It is so important that we protect our kids, it is one of our most important roles as parents because they aren't mature enough yet and are way too hormonal and emotional. (To my DH, there is no such thing as being to strict on rules of dating especially since there is no such thing as a nice teenage boy.)

So much for not having any advice!
Missy

That is really good advice you are giving me. They just make you feel like you are the only parent in the world acting like this. But I guess you are right I need to stick to my word, but also give them some space. Its not that I don't trust them It's others I don't.

kim

Been there, done this a long time ago. The best advice I can give you is stick to your guns. You will not regret it :)

I think it depends on the child. My son is 14 and is a really good kid - very responsible and dependable. I know all of his friends and their families and I trust them. If they were in a group, I wouldn't have a problem with them going to the movies without adult supervision.

Erica

My brother and Sis-in-law are going through the same thing with their 13 y.o. daughter. My SIL, refuses to let her go to the movies with her friends. She drives them and sits elsewhere in the theatre. She is amazed at what parents let their kids do without supervision in this day and age. So, no, you are doing what I will do and most parents who are aware of the dangers out there, are doing.

I am just thinking about when I was 13 - I wasn't allowed to go on dates, but I was certainly allowed to the movies or to the mall with a group of friends. It's not the same as going on a date. My parents would drop all of us off as a group and pick up all of us at a predetermined time, which was usually no more than a couple of hours. My parents were pretty strict with me (at least compared to my friends' parents), but I was still allowed to hang out with a group of friends at 13. Just no dates until I was 16.

Kim, my son is only 4 and my set of challenges are different. However, your parenting style is the same as that of my parents, EXCEPT for the dating part. They didn't want me to date AT ALL. EVER.

I'm not going to go into detail about the many ways I rebelled. I can only say I did it not just to be able to do what I wanted, but to get back at them -- and hard -- and now that I'm a parent myself, I don't want this to happen between my son and me when the time comes, because as wonderful as my parents' intentions were, the wounds ran deep and the scars are shallow.

As early as now I keep the communication lines open. When my son is upset with me, he tells me he hates me. Normally, any parent would want to nip that in the bud. I only tell him I understand how he can feel so, and that I'd feel the same way in his situation, but it's not okay to hit me, kick me, or throw things at me, and for that he needs to have a time out or a priviledge taken away. When it all blows over, my son, young as he is, understands. He tells me he only felt that way because he was angry. My mother is somewhat horrified by this. She doesn't like the idea of a child talking back to his parent. But I told my mom that I'd rather that my son get those feelings out of his system than have such feelings brew inside of him until he feels nothing else for me but resentment. I just don't add that she could've done the same thing for me when I was growing up. Our relationship is great now, and I don't want to do or say anything that will change it. But if there is one important thing I've learned, it's this: keep talking.

Since you have a teen, chances are she won't talk to you at first, if not, at all. But if my parents had tried to talk to me instead of acting like the last and only point of authority, it would've been different. If they had taken an interest in the books I read, or the pictures I drew, or why the stupid reproduction of Mona Lisa on my bedroom wall gave me the creeps, especially on a moonlit night, it would've been different. If they had considered how I felt and why I acted in such a way, instead of imposing a list of unbreakable rules and unbearable humiliation if such rules were broken, it would've been different. It took me many, many years to get past this, and I had to do this far away from home. I got out the first chance I got. And I never told my parents whom I was dating. I only called them a few weeks before I got married in court. By that time I was 28, and they could only feel relief I wasn't going to end up an "old maid".

I am very apprehensive about the teen years, with all these issues that teens have to tackle -- drugs, teen pregnancy, gun violence, peer pressure, etc... That's why I want my son to know as early as now that he can always talk to me without me overreacting or getting angry. If I have to clip the sharp edges of my authority as a parent, so be it. I don't think I'm going to have another child, and I don't want my kid growing up feeling and believing he's all alone. I grew up with three siblings, and I still felt that way.

Gotta stop blabbing now before this gets too long. Hugs and good luck.:)

Pinky

No, I don't think you're too strict. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that a 13 year old be supervised at a theater, although I might allow my daughter to go with her friends - depending on how trustworthy she and they are. She's only 5, so I can't think that far ahead.

As far as the dating goes...I wasn't allowed to date until I was 16 either. I never minded. Of course, I was quite an ugly duckling up until around then anyway.

I would trust NO teen in a group without a parent, at that age.... kids tend to get into more trouble sometimes in a group when there is more peer pressure.... I took my son and his friend to another friends house when they were about 13 or 14 yrs old, there were 3 brothers in that house and my son and his friend, it was christmas time and their dad was shopping, I wasn't about to leave until an adult showed up....... and one did..... Rhonda

Some rebellion is to be expected as children mature. Rebellion is a natural part of the growth process and reflects healthy individuation into an adult.

I agree with Erica, it depends on the child. My two girls were very responsible and I had no problem dropping them off at the movies with a friend/friends at 13. Also, at that age, I stopped telling them what to do but guided them on what to do. I wanted them to start making their own choices and also then they were responsible for their actions. They are now 22 and 20 and they are hardworking, responsible young adults and very independent.

Joanne

Edited to say that we did have strict rules for instance, they could not rent R movies. If they would put up a fuss, I would say-those are for 17 and over and I don't make the laws. Same with smoking and drinking (I'm so glad my girls don't smoke).

I feel your pain Pinky! I think I had your parents, and I had a very rebellious teenhood. Teens are going to be hard years for anyone, but the one best meter on how well we get through these years is how good and open the teen/parent relationship is.

Kim: Is the issue the dating (potential dating) or her going to the movies with her friends without an adult?

My son just turned 12 and he is still in the anti-girl stage. I expect that to change any minute! I frequently drop him off/pick him up at the theater to meet his friends, but I live in a very small town (2000 people small) and life in general is very different here than the life I grew up in. I feel different about bigger places, but my problem there is weird people stealing my kids and I don't think that's your issue. So I'm just wondering if it's just the dating issue with your daughter? or general potential for misbehavior in public?

I don't think you are too strict at all. I let my kids go to the movies on their own but my situation is different. I do inforce some very unpopular rules with my kids though. And like I said above, the key is open and frequent discussion. Also, like Pinky mentioned... interest in their lives, their friends etc. Do you know which friends she would be better off with than others? I say stick with your decision, but be sure and listen to her concerns too.

I want to ask about one of my unpopular rules but I don't want to hijack your thread so I'll start a new thread on that.

Good luck, I know I'm only one year away from official teenhood and I can't say I'm looking forward to that.

Pam

Joanne - that's the kind of parenting I really want to do. I want my kids to have more independence as they get older and more mature and have them make their own decisions - with my guidance. At least that's what I'm doing with my oldest right now and another son. One of my other boys may be parented differently - he's very impulsive, irresponsible and I think he'll be influenced by peer pressure more. That's why I think the rules have to depend on the child - some are more mature than others.

I did have a friend in high school with an extremely strict father - no dating, no overnight field trips, no make-up, etc. She got pregnant right after high school and then married and divorced right away. I think that this wouldn't have happened if her father wasn't so controlling when she was growing up.

Erica

Both my girls were allowed to go to movies without me or another adult at 13. They travelled in packs, usually three or fours girls. We have always had a wonderful network of parents who do "drop off/pick up" so that could take place. It gave them a sense of independance while knowing they had to be at the pick up place at the appropriate time. They never once abused the priviledge. It allowed us to establish trust and as they have gotten older, they have been given more freedom. So far I have been very blessed with my teenagers and I have had no worries regarding the girls. My 7 year old son, I can only wonder about that guy but his teenage years are a way off, thank goodness. ;) That said you must chose the parameters that work for you. This worked well for us. We have lived in the same school district all their lives and I know their friends really well.
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what it is you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver

My problem is not only my daughter dating, it is the movie thing. Even if she is with a group of girls, the problem is that are cruel people in this world and no matter how many kids are with them things happen. Also with the mall, now here all you see on friday and saturday nights are teenagers standing around in corners and walking around looking for girls and boys. Half the girls are exposing their bellies and guys want to see this. I know what people are saying about independence, but I've told them there is plenty of time in life to experience that stuff. I trust my kids because we always been open about when they get older and if they happen to drink at a party to feel as they can call us. Although we did say that drinking is something that is wrong and forebidden.

My daughter had just ask me last week could she go home with one of her friends. Well I knew this girl from her cheerleading squad and knew her parents. Her dad is just as strict on his daugther than I am. She was surprised that I let her go. I have to know these parents. I used to want to spend the night with some friends and if my parents didn't know them, I didn't go. I could not understand this at the time.

Yes I rebelled as a teenager, but the difference is that I have sit down and talked about why I feel this way. My mother just said it and that was final. I will let my daughter do things, but I have to take each situation at a time.

Well one more thing before I go. I let may daughter and son go to a girls birthday with adults. they had a dj and cook out. I also let them spend the night,with the understanding they could go to the movies the next day with the kids as long as the parent would be somewhere in the theatre. Well when I picked them up I asked the parent what move she saw and she told me. Well I found out later that the mother left them there and lied to me. Well the kids will never visit there again.

Well this is way too long, but the hard thing is knowing if you are doing the right thing as a parent.

kim

You contradicted yourself. You said that you have told them that when they're older, and if they drink at a party, they should feel free to call you to pick them up. Then you said that you've told them drinking is wrong and forbidden. That's not going to make them very comfortable calling you if they happen to drink too much.

Ack! My son is only 1 so now I'm scared ;) Actually, I second the ideas about balancing space w/ letting them know that at this point in time you know what is best for them. I totally agree that a 13 cannot have that kind of privacy yet. Tell her it will come in time!

"you miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Debbie

I know it sounds that way. We are telling them that is wrong and forbidden but if a mistake happens I don't want them to be scared of calling and try to drive. I know it sounds that way. It's like I don't want them to have sex before marriage, but if it happens they should use a condom. I'm saying this is wrong but if it happens I want them to protect themselves. It's like people teaching their kids abstinence. Some say no way and don't educate them at all.

I'm sorry if I'm not explaining this good.

kim

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.