Alternatives to lunges?

rozy

Cathlete
Hi Cathe! I was doing another workout program for about a month and my lower back issues I had a year ago came back with it. This program did a lot of lunges and squats. So I decided to come back to your workouts to slow things down and get my form down better because I had a 3 year exercise hiatus until this past June. I have been enjoying your Leaner Legs workout and cut out the 1 legged squats on the step top due to balance issues. Today I did Gym Styles and LOVED it but noticed during the lunges my knees were hurting. And now my back hurts again. I think I figured out my problem - lunges and me don't mix well (for now anyway).

Do you have any advice on something I could due instead of lunges? It could be floorwork or standing.

BTW - you are a fantastic instructor and I forgot how much I love your workouts! Thanks for doing what you do :)

Hi Rozy! I'm sorry to hear of your knee and back pain that keeps resurfacing. Yes, you can do intensive standing or seated floorwork. Try the leg conditioning drills at the end of the Kick Max workout. Try the stability ball leg segment in Pyramid lower Body. Good Luck!

Hi Cathe! I was doing another workout program for about a month and my lower back issues I had a year ago came back with it. This program did a lot of lunges and squats. So I decided to come back to your workouts to slow things down and get my form down better because I had a 3 year exercise hiatus until this past June. I have been enjoying your Leaner Legs workout and cut out the 1 legged squats on the step top due to balance issues. Today I did Gym Styles and LOVED it but noticed during the lunges my knees were hurting. And now my back hurts again. I think I figured out my problem - lunges and me don't mix well (for now anyway).

Do you have any advice on something I could due instead of lunges? It could be floorwork or standing.

BTW - you are a fantastic instructor and I forgot how much I love your workouts! Thanks for doing what you do :)

Thanks Cathe! I think I figured it out. I am using BowFlex Select Tech weights and they screwed up my form since they are so big. I went back to my smaller dumbells and didn't have any pain after that YAY!

I am going to buy a weighted vest since my husband doesn't want me buying a barbell set due to space in our living room :)

Also, I bought a foam roller to stretch my back on and IT band.

Can't wait for your new workouts!!! It will be like an early Christmas!

Great to hear Rozy! I think the weighted vest and a foam roller are two of the best pieces of equipment you can own. Good Luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.