Alternative for Lunges

djwexler

About 6 weeks ago I fell while running on a rocky trail and hurt my foot (no fracture according to xrays). Since then I am unable to do lunges when my right foot is in back position because of the pain I experience on the bottom of my foot. Is there an alternative to lunges that work the muscles in the same way. I continue to do squats, deadlifts etc with no problem. It's the toe position that I can't do. Thanks for any help.

About 6 weeks ago I fell while running on a rocky trail and hurt my foot (no fracture according to xrays). Since then I am unable to do lunges when my right foot is in back position because of the pain I experience on the bottom of my foot. Is there an alternative to lunges that work the muscles in the same way. I continue to do squats, deadlifts etc with no problem. It's the toe position that I can't do. Thanks for any help.

How about slow weighted "leg presses" (also known as step-ups) on a high step? And use some sort of long stick (a broom or the unloaded bar of a barbell set) for balance for the lowering phase?

A-Jock

toe assist

I have arthritis in my big toe and sometimes just can't bend it well enough to do lunges very well ... so I place a riser against a wall and support my back foot against that when doing lunges. That way more weight is on the heel and not just on the toes. Depending on where your injury is, it might help. Deb

Thank you. I am able to do leg presses so I will incorporate them. Also that's a good idea about the riser I'll have to give that a try.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.