Alternate Pose For Downward Facing Dog

cbillekop

Cathlete
This particular pose is extremely hard on my shoulder(nerve damage) & doing more than 2 Down Dogs triggers the pain!:(
Is there an alternate pose?
Cathy

They always say to go back to child's pose if you need to rest, etc. I know it's not going to stretch/work the leg muscles the same as downward dog does but it's the first position I thought of....

Fit_mommy,
Thank you very much for responding!:)
I had forgotten about child's pose as I was trying to think of a substitute similiar to down dog! Child's pose may be the answer for the shoulder:)
Thanks again!
Cathy

Just to add on...in P90X2, Tony Horton does recommend to go into child's pose if you are feeling too much in the downward dog position.

I had carpal tunnel and downward dog really irritates my wrists. I usually do dolphin in place of downward dog. I know my shoulders don't straighten as much in dolphin because of the angle of the humerus. Not sure if this substitiution would help you too.

I would try a forward bend, focusing on "aiming" you butt to the ceiling. That would stretch the back of your legs and back. Make sure you cold in your core while bendingover. You could then experiment with stetching your arms and shoulders without weight and pressure.

This is a similar pose to what lemoncustard is describing above, but using the wall. I do a lot of down dogs for my stress headaches and sometimes my head hurts so much I can't do a down dog. I then do a modified version of it by standing with the palms on the wall and having my torso parallel to the floor, this provides many of the benefits of down dog without the pain - either of the head or the shoulder..

Good luck..

Elle

Thank you very much to everyone:D

I have written down all your suggestions & will be trying them!
Cathy

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.