Almond Milk

bostonwendy

Cathlete
A friend just gave a carton of unsweetened almond milk. (Someone in her family seems to have a sensitivity to it.)

What do you like to do with almond milk? I love to cook and bake. I am very open to different kinds of recipes. Really, I am just looking for some interesting ways to use this product that is new to me and I much prefer a "tried and true" idea from y'all over a web search on my own.

Thanks in advance!!

I use it for protein shakes. I've never cooked with it, though. I like the taste much better than the taste of rice milk... ugh.

I LOVE almond milk and use it everywhere I would normally use cow's milk....baking, smoothies, milkshakes for the kiddos, cereal, hot cocoa, etc. YUMMY!

Great ideas -- thanks for the replies!

As a substitute for cows milk would the measurement be exactly the same?

Right now I just make oatmeal with water so I will definitely try the almond milk in that!

I would love some recipe ideas for protein smoothies with it. The shakes I have made never used cows milk, just yogurt (I think because I don't tend to use protein powders?) but I would love to try some new ones using this.

Also, have any of you made a roux with almond milk?

This is really the only "milk" I ever use and it can be used in place of cow's milk in all recipes as far as I know. I've used it for creamy sauces and such with success. It doesn't work terribly well in coffee or tea, but since I drink them both plain anyway, it doesn't matter (to me).

We're vegan and I use Almond milk a lot. I buy Almond Breeze, and I buy the sweetened as the guys drink it and use if for cereal. When I bake, I use it in place of milk, in the amount the recipe calls for, and I've had no problems. We use rice milk, too, but it's thinner and I prefer almond milk for cooking/baking.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.