all i want to do is cry

There are surgeries that can help with hip dysplasia, if that is what is wrong. Don't give up hope! I am sending thoughts your way.

((HUGS))

Ask many questions, it may or may not be something that they can do surgery on or even give pain meds to prolong his life painfree.

I've had to put 2 dogs down and it isn't easy. I opted to stay in the room with them, but do what is best for you. It's never easy, any way you do it.

>I've had to have several cats put to sleep over the years, and
>those last moments are so hard. But I want to be there with
>them. To pet them. To tell them that I love them, and to
>talk about all the wonderful times we've had together. Being
>able to say goodbye is so important. Don't even pay attention
>to what the vet is doing, just comfort your puppy when he
>needs you.

Very well said. My brother and I took our aged family Lab when her quality of life had deteriorated so far. My Mom refused to even be in town for it, but I felt I needed to be there to comfort her.

>Is there any chance that whatever is wrong with him could be
>remedied by a 'walker"? I've seen paralysed dogs (who are
>otherwise in good health and happy) with those devices. Just
>a thought.

I was going to suggest that.

If it is hip dysplasia, there are MANY surgical procedures that can help these dogs. In my mind, euthanasia is truly a last resort. Of course I haven't examined the dog and don't know the whole story. Hopefully the x-rays will help. They will certainly be able to tell if he is dysplastic or not.

Please keep us posted on what happens. I will send positive thoughts your way.

I took jack this morning and the vet said he has some hip displasya and arthritis . I just couldnt put him down. he said he would recommend anothr pain medicine to see if it would help. he didnt feel he was bad enough to put to sleep. I started crying, i told myself i wasnt going to, i just couldnt put him down. maybe when he really seems to be in major pain . the vet was moving his hips every which way and he didnt yelp or anthing. it is just sometimes he walks like he can hardly move and other times he does okay. so for me anyway, i am keeping him until i feel he is suffering. i just love hime too much and cant part with him yet. the other dog i had to put to sleep had cancer so that was different,i saved him from p;ain and misery and yes i will do it when that time comes. I hope that doesnt sound selfish()is that sp;elled right) but in my heart if i knew he was really suffering then i would have done it. keep your fingers crossed that these new p;ain meds will work.
thanks laura

I posted earlier up above. I thought i went to the end of the thread but i guess not. the update is up under todays date. laura

I want to offer support as well. I don't have children, but have had (and still have) 4 legged children. I will chime in with the others and say PLEASE get a second opinion if the vet says to put him down. It's worth exploring every avenue for your baby!!

My thoughts are with you. Big {{{Hugs}}}

Rhonda

I had a little dog with hip dysplasia. The doctor operated on her hips, and she was much better. She wasn't "good as new," but the doctor said she wasn't in pain. We had an incredible vet, though, and I suspect he charged us less than most would have. It might be a very expensive operation, for all I know. We paid $150 about ten years ago. Still, it's something to check into.

Shari

Jack has had two doses of this new pain medicine and already he is moving around more and better. even my husband commented this morning. he said he is moving better acting like his old self. I feel so much better today. lastnight though, myhusband said i should have put him down and i told him i just couldnt. he said well hes your dog now. he says this because i didnt want another dog. my husband wanted to get another animal. i didnt because i knew i would be the one to take care of them and get attached to them. i told him it would be just like if he(my husband) would get hurt or something, i said i wouldnt get rid of you. when you get something you have to take care of it, just like jack. so this morning he seen that these pain meds might help; prolong the p;rocess. thanks for all your support and prayer, i greatly appreciate it.your a great group of people and good things will come to all of you for it.
laura

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.