Aerobics Shoes

lareinaisabel

Just a question. Where do you reccommend that we buy aerobics shoes? Or is there a specific brand or type of shoe that is recommended for aerobics? I'm kind of new, and want to be sure to protect my feet and therefore my spine.

Zappos.com is good because they usually have free shipping and always have free returns if they don't fit.

I just bought some Ryka Rhythm II's after lots of recommendations on here (including from Cathe) and I love them!!! I have a really difficult time finding shoes that work on my feet (I have problems with numbness and cramping when doing a lot of jumping) but there are like a DREAM!!! I love them love them love them!!

And I did buy them on Zappos.com because of the free shipping and return policy.

Denise

i recently bought ryka 'enlight II' and LOVE LOVE LOVE them! i've had the other ryka styles, and liked them allright..but the enlight II IS CUSHION HEAVEN! (i have bad knees, so i'm always looking for alot of cushhhhhh..in my shoes. ;)

btw, i bought mine from sportschalet.com...(they had a free shipping promo) i tried to get them zappos, which seemed to have great customer service..but they were out of stock in my size. :(

good luck! :)
bq

bq,

Thank you so much for the sportschalet website information. I have been trying for weeks to purchase another pair of Ryka Enlight II. I have even called Ryka and their customer service told me that they were discontinuing this shoe?x(

Anyway, I called sports chalet and they had only 9 pair left of my size of the Ryka Enlight II. I just wanted to thank you because this is the best shoe I have ever worn for Plyometric exercises and Cathe's endurance bootcamp drills!;-)

Karen

I just jumped on the Ryka bandwagon. I guess they're discontinuing the Rhythm shoes and replacing them with the N-Gage. (I'm surprised there isn't a trademark issue with Nokia here...but anyway.) I just got a pair of the N-Gage Studios from holabirdsports.com, and I think I might be a new Ryka evangelist. I've always worn New Balance up until now.

i just bought ryka rhythm II. i was going to get ryka enlight but couldn't find my size. do you think i should keep looking for enlight? i'm bying new shoes 'cuz my knees need it. do you know the difference between the 2 ryka shoes? when you said you have bad knees, i started to question which were right for me. Thanks, deanie

Oh Oh! I recently bought Ryka affirm xt crosstrainers because people on this forum were saying how good they are. I really do like them, but is something else better? Lori BC

hi karen :) glad to hear you were able to find your enlights at sportschalet. gee wiz, ryka said they're gonna discontinue them???!! ack! i may have to go and buy a couple extra pair from sportschalet as a backup!

deanie...i have bad knees and require alot of cushion to make any sort of impact at all doable for me. i've had ryka rhythms, but find i like the enlight MUCH better , since for me..imho, it has ALOT more cushion.

the affirm crosstrainers didn't have as much cushion for me, either....who knows..we all have different feet, and different preferences, eh? ;) btw, i "did" try asics top of the line, crosstraining shoe and loved it...BUT..i have narrow heels, (hence the ryka's work so well for me) and my heels kept slipping. bummer! the new balance didn't have as much cush for me, either..and the new n-gage just felt like my old rhythms.

all in all....i'm now a total enlight II fan...welp, i'd better go now and try and find a few more pair in prepration for cathe's new workouts! }(

hth a little!
bq

Okay- I think I will order ryka enlight- but now for the million dollar question- did they fit you true to size? On zappos website its free shipping and free return shipping, so i don't mind the return thing. but they don't have them there so i have to order at ski chalet which charges so i don't want to order two pair and send them back if i don't have to. :0! whew! thanks:) deanie

hi deanie :)

well, i wear an 8 in street shoes, but an 8 1/2 in all my sneakers. i've worn an 8 1/2 in all my rykas (enlight included). (btw, i also put spenco insoles in my workout shoes).

i know some people have said that ryka run small, and that they usually go up half a size in ryka. but as for me, i take a half size larger in ALL my sneakers (ryka or otherwise) ..so for me..all workout/tennis shoes...i'm an 8 1/2. phew! was that confusing? i'm sorry if it was..either way....i wear the same size in ryka tennis shoes, as i do in all other tennis shoes.

hope this helps, and i didn't just babble and confuse you, there! eek!

good luck! :+
bq

Thanks! I'm going to order a 6 and 6.5 because then I get free shipping and I'll just send back the size I don't need. I've never ordered shoes over the internet before.:) thanks again, Deanie

I have the Ryka Affirms but don't like them that much. My foot seems to slide around inside the shoe which is a problem when doing lunges and such. I think I am going to try the N-Gage with my next purchase...

BTW, I think sneakers run smaller than regular shoes in general. I have never bought a pair that was not at least a half size larger than my regular shoe size. Zappos has free return shipping....

Good luck!
Marie

I just purchased Ryka's Enlight II on www.sportschalet.com last night. They were having a Ryka "sale". Not a huge discount and you still pay for shipping. But they had my size! I also have the Affirms and have the same problem with my foot sliding around inside. My feet are always quite sore after a step workout wearing the Affirms.

Angie

Hi Deanie.

I wear a size 7 dress shoe and my Saucony running shoes are a 7 1/2. However, with Ryka EnlightII, I needed the size 8's. When I find shoes that actually fit and are comfortable, I always buy 2 pair. I actually have 3 pair of my running shoes (because I am walking 60miles for the Breast Cancer 3-day)I have 2 pair of Ryka Enlight II and just ordered my 3rd when I found out they were being discontinued. I could go on. The only other things I buy in 2's are my pants. I am only 5'2" and weigh 100lbs. When I find a pair of pants, jeans, shorts that fit...I get them in multiple colors.
Good luck with your purchase. I hope you love the cushioning and fit as much as I do!:)

Karen

Just bought my second pair (same style, same color) of this year's New Balance cross trainers 1007. Bought a pair of Ryka cross trainers about two months ago and just felt they were too cushiony without enough lateral support. So, I just bought the same exact shoe (NB) I bought last spring! It's an individual thing, but I think I'll never stray from NB again.

I just purchased a pair of the Ryka N-Gage from holabirdsports.com. I got them in black. These, as mentioned above, are replacing the Rhythm II's. I give a review when I get them.

I have had a chance to do a few videos in my N-Gages, and I am very happy with them. My old New Balances (http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/607368/c/744.html) never did support me terribly well, and after about 6 months of pounding (I used them for volleyball too) they were pretty smooshed down. My feet and ankles would complain for hours after I worked out. Plus, I have narrow heels, and they don't have much in the way of cushioning/movement control in the heel area. I feel much more well supported in my Rykas, I have to say. I tend to overpronate, but my ankles feel much more stable in the Rykas. I think, at least for aerobics shoes, that I am a Ryka girl from here on out.

Also, you guys are making my feet look huge! (Well, they kind of are, hahaha.) I wear a 10 in pretty much everything, but my Nike softball cleats are 11s. I'm taller, so my feet don't look out of proportion, but still. :)

Just had to let you know that you all are a bunch of enablers. I was minding my own business, not planning to buy anything, then this thread appeared. I don't need new workout shoes; I just bought a new pair of NB 609's a few weeks ago. After reading all the rave reviews, I was set on a mission to find the Ryka Enlight II in a size 10! Trust me, it wasn't easy - I only found one place on the internet that had them! http:\\www.rogansshoes.com I can't wait to get them! I hope I love them as much as everyone else does!:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.