Advise need for caring my Lab puppy

WantFit

Cathlete
All, we just adopted a black lab mixed two weeks ago. She is so sweet and such a cutie. But the problem is her poop. My daughter (she is 15, so she might not be right) said buying Blue Bufflo dry puppy food for her. However, her poop is still loose and she seems hungry all the time. I only fed her 1/4 cup 4 times a day. This week, I fed her 1/3 cup 3 times a day. I took her to see vet for immunization shot. Vet said as long as poop is not changing color or watery, it should be OK. But I feel uneasy every time she has loose poop. I am ordering Innova, hope it will help loose poop problem. Any advise for this? She is 10 weeks now.

Also, the foster mom told me they gave her 1/2 cup dry food in the AM and PM. I read some article online saying break the meal down into more times, it would help to solve loose poop problem. But I did not see this method improve much of her problem. She is always so hungry and could eat anything when we take her out for walk. Should I increase food volumn?

Thank you in advance

Labs are notorious piggies! Only feed what the vet says, no more. Constant changing of food will result in more loose stools, as their tummies are very sensitive at this stage. It is common for lab puppies to have a lot of bowel movements, we were dealing with that issue for several months before it slowed down.
Labs will eat until they are sick, so don't let your puppy dictate its diet. It is a very common breed for weight issues, so don't let it happen.
Go with what your vet says, they are the experts.

Our "pup" is almost 5 years old, and we get compliments all the time as to how fit he is. He is a lovable guy and is the best part of our family, I think.
Good luck to you.

Thank you, Conni. So it is normal that they are hungry. I was afraid I am going to let her hungry to die. Now your words made me feel not that guilty.

What kind of dog food did you give your lab? Which one is good?

My puppy loves to play with us. But one problem is she did not like to leave our house. We would love to take her out for a walk. But she did not want to go. She would either pull the leash or without leash, she would run towards our front door. Is it normal?

You said you adopted the dog, is it a puppy? If so, he/she may not know how to walk on the leash. I remember the first time I took my bison for a walk and she did the same thing. They eventually learn, you could bring some training treats with you and prod her along.
My portuguese would eat all the time if I had allowed him, he would eat his food and then try to steal the bison's food, so don't worry if your dog acts hungry. The loose stools probably are nothing to worry about, you may have switched food to rapidly. Did you mix the new food with the old food for a few days? My bison also eats the blue buffalo and we rarely have the issue with loose stools. Make sure your children don't feed the dog table food as that can cause loose stools as well.
Enjoy your dog, they are a wonderful addition to the family.
KAtie

First, Katie is right, you have to gradually change the puppy ( or dog) food. This usually takes a week or so. That will help the tummy.

To be honest, my vet does not believe in any out of the ordinary food for dogs. Our dog gets Purina One and has from the beginning. He is very healthy, energetic, and does not get gassy. The key is no people food!

Your dog will respond to your emotions as well as your actions. If you act nervous about taking him out ( just as an example, I am not assuming you are), then the dog will be nervous too. Dogs even pick up on acceleration of your heartrate, believe it or not.
Just be calm and consistent about your leash training. You and your pup will enjoy some great walks, I am sure. There is no "unnatural" behavior. Every dog is different, just like people. Training is key. You must show your dog that you are the Alpha in the family or he will take charge.
The bottom line is that you will enjoy so many years of unconditional love, it makes any frustration well worth the effort.
Take care of that pooch!

I had my dog on blue buffalo because that is what her breeder fed her...but I was not happy with it...she was gassy with it...I have both my dogs on Science Diet and am very happy with the results.

First, Katie is right, you have to gradually change the puppy ( or dog) food. This usually takes a week or so. That will help the tummy.

To be honest, my vet does not believe in any out of the ordinary food for dogs. Our dog gets Purina One and has from the beginning. He is very healthy, energetic, and does not get gassy. The key is no people food!

Your dog will respond to your emotions as well as your actions. If you act nervous about taking him out ( just as an example, I am not assuming you are), then the dog will be nervous too. Dogs even pick up on acceleration of your heartrate, believe it or not.
Just be calm and consistent about your leash training. You and your pup will enjoy some great walks, I am sure. There is no "unnatural" behavior. Every dog is different, just like people. Training is key. You must show your dog that you are the Alpha in the family or he will take charge.
The bottom line is that you will enjoy so many years of unconditional love, it makes any frustration well worth the effort.
Take care of that pooch!

What the heck is out of ordinary food? So if the kibble is not highly commercialized, it's out of the ordinary?
Many of those heavy commercialized pet foods contain ingredients from a rendering plant. Science diet and Purina use rendered parts.
Freshly Roasted Ass: What A Rendering Plant Smells Like - Poisoned Pets | A Consumer Guide to Pet Food Safety

Very few vets have a degree in canine nutrition. Most of them take only one mandatory class in nutrition, and the focus on medicine. Just like human MD's. There are very few medical doctors I would take nutritional advice from. Many vets get perks from selling a particular brand, similar to doctors who write prescriptions and receive perks for writing that prescription.

Here are some great tips from a holistic vet how to choose a pet food-
The Quality of Pet Food Ingredients (Part 1 of 2) - YouTube

The Quality of Pet Food Ingredients (Part 2 of 2) - YouTube

One thing you need to know when raising a large breed pup is to grow them slow. Don't overfeed a large breed pup. You want to keep him lean and a little hungry so he doesn't develop joint problems. I would join a lab forum and talk to breeders who have years of experience raising a large breed.

Hi,

Do you have her on the Puppy version of the food? Usually ( there are some nay sayers and I am on the fence with this) puppies need the Puppy food version for the calories and supplements....we usually keep our on puppy food until about 5 months old..then slowly switch to the adult version. She may be hungry because she isn't getting the nutrients she needs at this young age.

Agree with poster above....you need to change foods slowly...a little at a time or you will get loose poop and maybe worse...

Be careful of the calcium content in puppy formulas. Large breed pups should have no more than 1.5%, probably under 1.3%. Too much food and calcium can lead to skeletal disorders.

I've had all 3 of my dogs on science diet since they were puppies. My dogs are now 13yrs, 8yrs, and 6yrs old and have had no problems with science diet and no recalls either. I do agree that no human food policy except with white rice. My vet told me once when one of my puppies got loose stool that it is okay to give plain white rice. It helps. My dog when she was a puppy got loose stool because I found out that my old neighbor was feeding her hotdogs through the fence. I wanted to kill him. But I have never had a problem with science diet. NO matter what you feed your dog, just make sure that it's age appropriate and size appropriate. Good luck with the pup!!!!!

In my experience (raised five goldens from puppyhood), loose stools are not uncommon for younger puppies. If it's runny, then the puppy could have worms (also common in puppies and easily treated by the vet). Blue Buffalo is a high quality pet food and I agree w/the other poster who said that switching foods might complicate the problem.

Listen to your vet.

Some dogs take to the leash right away, and some have to be taught. I highly recommend using a harness for walkies, instead of attaching the leash to her/his neck collar. I agree w/PSU's tip on using treats when leash training.

For general training, check out Tamar Gellar's "The Loved Dog." You can get it on DVD (Netflix has it) and/or buy her book. She advocates positive reinforcement that worked well w/all of my pooches, even the stubborn Diva. :)

Congrats on your new baby! Labs are wonderful, loyal, smart, easygoing souls.

I've had all 3 of my dogs on science diet since they were puppies. My dogs are now 13yrs, 8yrs, and 6yrs old and have had no problems with science diet and no recalls either. I do agree that no human food policy except with white rice. My vet told me once when one of my puppies got loose stool that it is okay to give plain white rice. It helps. My dog when she was a puppy got loose stool because I found out that my old neighbor was feeding her hotdogs through the fence. I wanted to kill him. But I have never had a problem with science diet. NO matter what you feed your dog, just make sure that it's age appropriate and size appropriate. Good luck with the pup!!!!!

I'm not trying to debate with you, but all my dogs are fed human food (not hot dogs). :) I can see why hot dogs would cause loose stools. IT's not the meat, it's the additives that cause problems. Unprocessed food is good for all living beings. It's not bad for dogs.
Some people can't feed all fresh food, and will feed one kibble meal, one cooked or raw meal and their dogs are fine. Some people feed kibble and scraps from the table without measuring calories.
If the human food is healthy, it's healthy for the dog(with a few exceptions).
Unlike kibble, there is no transition period with fresh food. My dogs eat goat, lamb, turkey, beef, salmon, chicken, llama, venison, eggs and have no problems when I switch proteins. Dogs tolerate fresh food better than kibble.

Have to agree, my dogs have had no ill effects from some occasional human food. As a treat, I've cooked them up some chicken, and once in a blue moon, they get Five Guys cheeseburgers (patty/cheese, no buns or condiments). Mostly, they eat kibble & Wellness stew, and they are content & healthy.

We were able to get Margot to lose a good chunk of weight by cutting her kibble/wet food w/frozen green beans. :)

There are some human foods that can be deadly to dogs --- onions, raisins, grapes, chocolate, etc.

You will obviously need to find the best diet for your dog. As you have read, there are so many opinions and options, just like when you raise your children. No two dog owners are alike either.

The best thing you could possible do for your dog is give him a good, happy home and just love him. You have been given an incredible responsibility, but it is also a wonderful gift.

Best to you.

Good luck with your puppy. Hopefully her stools will improve as she settles in. Stress can also cause loose stools. As for the walks, continue to work with her. She needs to be socialized and exposed to new situations. I would enroll her in a puppy obedience class. They are good for both the owner and the dog.

Here is a great website for different types of dog food and their ratings. Foods with too many additives that are not normally ingested by animals can be harmful. Some dogs will do fine on them, while others will have issues. Just like some humans have issues with certain foods.

Dry Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Advisor

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.