Advice on Running Nutritional needs

karenvictoria

Cathlete
I figured that I would ask over here instead of the checkin. My question is that I would like some advice on a sample running menu. With running 17 miles per week I didn't need to change things up. Now with doing a long run on Sundays I'm thinking I need to get to the experts. As my cheetahs know I am doing a 10 Miler. I want to know if I need to change my eating plan for this longer race. Can all of you give me a sample day when you run for 8 to 11 miles? Also what are your thoughts on sports drinks? Are they necessary for 10 miles? Remember I use to get headaches when I ran over 9 miles so I know my nutrition was off. When I drank a sports drink after a 10 mile run before I didn't get them as often. Thanks for the help.
karen

www.picturetrail.com/karenvictoria

Hi:

What works best for me on the long run days is to eat a moderate amount of carbs about 1 to 1-1/2 hours before the run.

Everybody will be different on what works best for them but for me it was about a 400 calorie meal that was high in carbs..

Sample meals that I liked were:

Malt O Meal or oatmeal with bananas and peanuts
Peanut butter on a bagel
Peanut Butter and Jelly on some substantial pieces of bread
Peanut Butter and Banana
Peanut Butter and Apple

As you can probably tell, I have a love affair w/ peanut butter!

In re to sports drinks, I never use those, but after about 50-60 minutes into a run I will do a Goo Gel. I drink water continuously throughout the run.

I have problems w/ headaches too on long runs. I've pinpointed mine to dehydration and also going at too fast of a pace for too long. Once I started ingesting more water and slowing down a bit they went away.

Take care, Lynn M.

KarenVictoria

I'm sorry to barge in,but I just checked out your pics,and WOW!How much weight in total have you lost?You look AMAZING! GOOD FOR YOU:D!
What kind of diet/workout plan did you do?

Amy:)

Thanks so much Amy. In total I lost 110lbs and it took almost 2 years. I began working out with Denise Austin, then transitioned to the Firm and then to Cathe. It was a progression that had it's up and downs with trail and error in food. I started with WW and then stopped that. Then moved onto The nutrition of Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle. Right now I am trying to figue out my new food plan with running. It's all a game of trail and error with your own body. Some stuff works some doesn't. I try to eat as clean as possible without being so hard on myself. Thanks for the compliments. It was a long hard haul.
karen

www.picturetrail.com/karenvictoria

Hi Karen

I don't know about you,but I am STARVING after those long runs, so it takes some discipline for me not to put the feedbag on and eat whatever is in sight.

However, if I am "staying in control" I like to eat some protein, carbs and a bit of fat... A turkey cheese sandwich w/ an apple, or a smoothie made w/ fruit, protein powder is ideal. I also will do a salad w/ some protein, and additional carbs on it like croutons or fruit (if appropriate.)

Sometimes my stomach gets a little "touchy" after a long run, so I try to stay a bit more bland if it looks like it might be going that way as well.

One more thing about your headaches... do you drink more caffeine than usual on the day of your long run? I have found that aggravates my headache factor more. Usually I have one big cup in the morning and am fine. But if I have more than that and run I'll get a headache.

PS.. I just looked at your Picture Trail!! You look amazing! Your hard work and discipline REALLY shows!! :)

Lynn M.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.