Advice On Equipment Purchases

petramom

Cathlete
I'm halfway into Meso 2 and finding that certain equipment purchases will have to be made. Please give me your opinions on the following:

1. Chinup Bar. I can't put anything into the door frame, and the one that hooks over the moulding without nails doesn't fit. I'd love something like what Cathe uses in the STS workouts, where you sit on the floor and pull up from that position. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do a "real" chin up anyway.

2. Squat Rack. I have a short barbell - the one sold by The Firm way back in the old days. I vaguely recall a Valor rack mentioned at some point, but don't recall the details.

3. Bench Press Rack. Does this have to be separate from a squat rack? Can I get a squat rack that also works for bench presses? Do I have to use a bench or can I continue using my step as a bench?

I'm guessing the Power Tower that everyone keeps talking about is all 3 of these things in one, which is why everyone keeps talking about it. Last I heard, it was stuck in some Chinese manufacturing plant and wouldn't be available in the near future. And I'm impatient.

One last point: I have almost zero extra space in my workout area (aka my bedroom). I could move my workout area to the basement, but I really really don't want to do that. I'd have to get my husband to help me, which means it would probably never get done.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Hi,

I think the Valor squat racks can help with chin ups, chest press, and of course squats, however, it has been out of stock EVERYWHERE, I had "bought" them from overstock, paid and everything, then received an email that they did not have them any longer and had my money refunded. I saw some sites say they will be available sometime in April. They are called the Valor BD3 squat racks. Here is a link:
http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Valor-Fitness-BD-3-Squat-Stands/3276027/product.html

I really wanted the Valor racks, but ended up getting the safety stands because I really wanted something for chest presses for meso 2. (I'm starting week 3 today)

Cathe's Power Tower, from what I have read, can not be used as a squat rack, but obviously can be used for chest work and pull ups.

I ended up buying these safety stands, but honestly, I'm not loving them, they are too short for squats, they work great for pull ups with a padded body bar, they work fine for regular flat bench chest press, and seem useless for chest presses on an incline bench, although maybe it would work with the step and slanted risers since there would be some distance between you and the bar. Another reason they don't work well for the incline work though, is because I also have a short bar, and my arms are forced too close together.
http://www.amazon.com/TDS-C-93015-W-Safety-Stands/dp/B000TF66NG

HTH

Last edited:
Thanks Dela. I googled the Valor stands and found them at a couple other sites - did you try that? I usually don't order from Internet sites unless I know something about them, but if these stands are that good I may just risk it.

I can't get the stupid link to work -- look at ironcompany.com and let me know if that's what you're talking about. Did someone recommend them to you?

I looked at every site possible, even Valor's site, no one had them when I wanted to buy them. They have them listed, but under availability, it either said sold out, contact us, or coming in April. If they are back in, I would try the Valor ones, I've seen a lot of good reviews on them.

Try this link, these are the stands I bought, but I bought mine from Amazon:
http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/93015.html-7

Oh, of course ... I hadn't thought about the "out of stock" info not coming up until you try to buy it.

I did read that you need to have a bench/step height of at least 18" to use it for bench presses. All I have is a 10" step. Is there anything that you can use for both presses (using a 10" bench) and squats? I'm hoping (perhaps unrealistically) to buy just one piece of equipment. I thought that's what the power tower was - I guess I wasn't paying attention (what is it anyway? is it what they use to do bench presses with?).

Thanks!

Nothing that I know of, the stands I bought would work with a lower step for chest presses because the stands can be adjusted very low. But they don't work for squats, the valor really is the best thing I can find all around, but as we know out of stock :p. However you might need more risers for your step if you need the step to be higher for it.

The power tower is the thing they use for the chest presses and the pull ups in the dvds, but I read it's not meant for squats, something about how the tower is weighted.

I've been using a weighted vest for heavier weights for the legs now in meso2, and I think I'm just going to do the plyo routines in meso 3 so I don't have to buy anything else for the squats. I also have a 40 pound weighted vest, I can use if I choose to do the heavy weight leg routines in meso3.

I have found this particular issue to be quite complicated, and getting very expensive. :confused: And what stinks, is I know me, and I'll probably end up buying the power tower when it comes out in addition to all this other stuff I already have, well, if the price is reasonable.

They are called Iron King. My only concern is that they are about 20 lbs each. I hope that is heavy enough to keep them stable. I will have my husband put them together tomorrow. I will let you know then what I think of them.

I also have the firm barbell, so I can let you know if it works with these.
I ordered them and received them in 3 days. ( they came from NJ and I am on long island).

I keep you posted.
chrissy

That dude looks funny doing a squat, or whatever he's doing! Has his hat, funky drawers, and an odd postion, and looking at the camera! The stands look fine though - wonder if they make them? I don't know how heavy the Valor ones are but I would be afraid of missing and knocking one over or something, although their design looks nice at the bottom...it would take quite a hit to knock them over, now that I looked again. I bet you could place some heavy sand bags or weight plates across the base for extra stability if it is a concern though. And don't do it like he is - face the other way so you can see what you are doing when you are racking the bar.

Chrissy - a lot of people were looking for the Valor stands - you might want to post this link in OD, along with your review of them.

ETA: DUH - this is OD! Well, a separate thread then :)

I have the Valor Squat Stands and use them for bench press and squats. They are heavy and stable with a wide base. For added safety, I place a 45# DB on each base and recently had a 70# BB resting on the safety arms for bench press and they worked perfectly. I did need to buy a weight bench since my step was too low but now I have the option of incline, decline and flat positions with little hassle. I don't use them for pullups as I have a bar but I think you could make it work just using your barbell on the stands.

That dude looks funny doing a squat, or whatever he's doing! Has his hat, funky drawers, and an odd postion, and looking at the camera!
Chrissy - a lot of people were looking for the Valor stands - you might want to post this link in OD, along with your review of them.

ETA: DUH - this is OD! Well, a separate thread then :)

Yes I thought he looked funny too. Very awkward!-LOL

chrissy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.