Advice on cold weather running gear needed

fitfa

Can anyone tell me if they can tell the difference in cold weather outdoor clothing for running. I only have C9 from Target. I do usually wear an Under Armour shirt under the C9 jacket. I feel like I start sweating so early in my run and my skin can't breathe. I do know I am not wearing anything too heavy. Just wonder if spending more for LL Bean or other brand name is really worth the money. I live in Atlanta where it can get into the 30's. Also travel with my job so I am in many different climates.

Christie

The Runners World site used to have a really helpful "what to wear" guide - you could enter running conditions and it would give you suggestions. It's down right now though. For weather 40is or below I have a pair of thermal running tights by Brooks I love. I also have a thermal running top and just a vest over the top of that. It's been perfect for winter running in Michigan. Also wear a pair of gloves and ear warming headband. If it weren't for that guide in the past I think I would have over-dressed.

Jen

I live in Michigan and all my runs take place between 5 & 6 am. I hated being overally hot when I run, so if it's 30 to 45 degrees, I will wear a double layer of running shirts. Usually one is an underarmor shirt and the other is just a shirt that I got for free from entering a race (not the cotton shirts but the one's specificaaly designed for running). I wear a pair of insulated running pants and that's it. If it's colder than 30 degrees I will wear a single running shirt with a jacket. I don't know the brand but I picked it up at Marshall's for $20. It has a thin fuzzy lining on the inside and the outside is a typical poly fabric. Sometimes, if it's really cold or windy I'll wear one of those fleece "turtle collars" to protect my neck and I can tuck my chin and nose into it if needed. Again, $10 for Marshalls. Sometimes I add a pair of Nike gloves and always a hat. I don't spend a lot of money on running gear. I've found that many of the things you can pick up at Marshall's are the same things you can get at the higher priced sporting goods stores. I do think that it's important to find items that "breath" and to avoid cotton pieces. Just my opinion though.

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to try the double up on the shirts. Also going to hit the discount stores.

Christie

my best piece of cold weather running gear: MY TREADMILL! :p

Sorry if that is no help...but I am a sissy and just won't if it is too cold....

Hats off to you tough girls!

Um, I'm heading out into 17 degrees this morning. C9 yoga pants (I always run in yoga pants), a sports bra, a long sleeve tech shirt from a race, a long sleeve light weight running jacket C9 from Target(keeps the wind out), socks, sneakers, a knit hat or earmuffs, and knit fingerless gloves with the mitten thing that flaps over them. By mile 2 I'll be losing the gloves, by 3 or 4, the hat will have to go. By the end, I'll be unzipped. As long as I can keep the wind out, I'm good.

When it gets to the 5-10 degree range, I'll toss on a sweatshirt over that. Below 5, it's in the car to work to use the treadmill.

Yes, that's Fahrenheit, yes I'm naturally pretty warm. We keep the heat in the house set a 64, and that's comfortable and sometimes warm if I'm moving around.

Nan

my best piece of cold weather running gear: MY TREADMILL! :p

Sorry if that is no help...but I am a sissy and just won't if it is too cold....

Hats off to you tough girls!

Me too Tracy! :D Thank goodness for my trusty treadmill!

When it's cold here, it's a wet, windy, nasty cold. There just isn't anything I can wear that keeps my ears from aching and my throat from hurting when inhaling that cold air. I admire those tough enough to get out in it, but have absolutely NO desire to do so!

I do run when it's cold out, but nothing compared to the freezing temps mentioned here. My rule of thumb is to always add about 20 degrees to the actual temp to figure out what it's going to feel like to your body when you're running. I don't even run in long pants (even in the cold), so I'm no help with cold weather running gear. ;)

Always dress for the second mile. When you leave yor house, you might think it is freezing out so you should bundle up, but in reality, by the time you are into your second mile, you are pretty warm!

This. If you are hot when you are running, you are wearing too much! You should be downright cold when you start. By the time you get warmed up, you'll be fine. If you aren't cold to start, you'll be too hot very quickly. I've read (and follow this myself) to dress as if it's about 20 degrees warmer out than it actually is. If you are running in the 30's, dress for the 50's, which isn't all that cold! In temps in the 30's I certainly wouldn't be doubling up on top yet, unless my inner layer was pretty thin.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.