Adult Acne question--former Proactiv users

kellymom

Cathlete
Two months ago I stopped using Proactiv because it seemed to lose it's effectiveness and I educated myself on the safety of chemicals in personal care products. The last two to three weeks I have had breakouts like never before in my life and after searching around have discovered that this is a common result of not weaning off the Proactiv. Has anyone else had this happen? Did it stop? How did you fix it? Help! :(

Kelly

I've used proactive for like ten years. And i've realized that when I stopped using it, because i was sick of always having to order it and i could get somthing elsejust as good, i broke out big time! So i went back to it and it seems to always work for me. I still break out somtimes but just usually around my period.
HTH:)
randi

Hi Kelly, :)

I've never heard of a breakout as the result of not weaning off topical meds. I suppose it's possible, but the more likely explanation is that your acne is getting more aggressive, and now without any benzoyl peroxide, it is running totally unchecked. I know if I stopped my topical regimen, things would get ugly fast.

Here's a recent thread where I shared what I use:

http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255752&highlight=acne

The products that clear my skin are Benzoyl Peroxide and Glycolic Acid. The 2 places I get my stuff are Serious Skin Care and Clear Complexions.

For makeup, I'm now recommending Everyday Minerals. The store bought, pressed makeup used to be fine for me, but for whatever reason, my skin isn't having it anymore.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Have you tried the Acne.org routine? Lots of former Proactiv users have had success with it. The routine is simple: a gentle cleanser, 2.5% benzoyl peroxide and moisturizer. You can use their branded products, which are cheap, or buy recommended products at the store. http://www.acne.org/findingsupplies.php They recommend products like Olay and Neutrogena, which are easy to find and cheap. The Acne.org site is full of information.

Have you tried the Acne.org routine? Lots of former Proactiv users have had success with it. The routine is simple: a gentle cleanser, 2.5% benzoyl peroxide and moisturizer. You can use their branded products, which are cheap, or buy recommended products at the store. http://www.acne.org/findingsupplies.php They recommend products like Olay and Neutrogena, which are easy to find and cheap. The Acne.org site is full of information.

I found that site today and that's where I read dozens of people reporting the same situation I have--going cold turkey off of benzoyl peroxide causing major breakouts. I currently use a completely toxin free, green chemistry skin care line that has majorly improved everything but the breakouts. I think I'm going to add back in the Proactiv repairing lotion since it's 2.5% benzoyl peroxide to clear up the breakout and then try weaning off. I've got three bottles sitting around anyway!

Kelly

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.