adjustable weights to use for STS

rgs424

Cathlete
OK, I am going to post this in 2 sections of the forum. I am about to start STS strength for first time. I did my 1-rep max for meso 1 week 1. I looked at my 'workout sheet' and it is calling for weights I don't have, like I need to use a 17 pound weight for a couple of exercises.

I wanted to buy one of those adjustable barbells. Does anyone have any recommendations on a brand and where to buy?

THANK YOU !!!

Last edited:
Don't know about adjustable weights, bu...

I used plate mates. They are magnetic small weights that you attached to your hex dumbells. Works well. You can find them at Amazon, fwonline.com. I also used them on my barbell.

Another solution is to buy adjustable weight gloves. Cathe sells them or get them from amazon.

I was looking for adjustable dumbells at one time and fell in love with Titan Adjustable Dumbells

http://www.fitnessfactoryoutlet.com/catalog/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1404

They are pricey, but comparing them with PowerBlock and Bowflex, I think they are more secure. Not to mention they are made here in Minneapolis...no bias....:D. I ended up buying an entire set and also use the Platemates when I want to micro-load by 2.5 pounds. I would do a search, like Best Adjustable Dumbells and you will get a lot to read. Amazon has great reviews also. Good luck.

Last edited:
I bought my son Bowflex 552 for his college apartment (Christmas present).The new 2010 model is getting better reviews this year. It seems as though they improved on some of the original design flaws making them sturdier.
They are running a special free shipping and a free stand.

Hi,

I invested in Powerblock adjustable dumbbells before I started Chalean Extreme - they market the Bowflex SelecTech dumbbells but there were mixed reviews on those and I knew I would also use the set for STS, so I wanted something really durable.

I am very happy with the Powerblocks - link to the line I ordered is below, though they do also sell them on Amazon. They are less expensive than the Titans but still an investment. I especially like having them on a stand (which PB threw in for free) so I don't strain my back loading or picking them up. The end plates are metal so I can use my 1.5 lb PlateMates when a jump of 2.5 lbs is too much (e.g. shoulder and triceps work). I never use a barbell (I have a bad neck which complains when I load a barbell on my shoulders), just these dumbbells, and have adapted all STS moves for them with great results.

The only con I experience are that they are bulky and it can be a challenge to maintain form on certain exercises, like supine triceps extensions, where the dumbbell shaves pretty close to your head.

Hope this info is helpful - good luck!

Kristina

http://www.powerblock.com/Sportseries.html

I have used a smaller set of powerblocks (going up to 20lbs I think) and now have the selecttech set on a stand that goes up to 50 pounds.

With any adjustable set, you have pros and cons. I like the selecttech better than powerblock because the crossbars made some moves uncomfortable or undoable. (titan has a similar block design). I also didn't like the pin mechanism on the powerblock - felt like it was a little fiddly to get in (titan looks to have fixed that problem.)

The selecttech though are long no matter what weight they are set too so for smaller people, they can be too big and some moves are awkward. They are also not magnetic so you can't add the platemates to them. But what IS nice is that you can get to those in between weights by setting each end of the dumbbell differently. So the settings are 7.5, 10, 12.5, 15, 17.5, 20, 22.5, 25, 30... but you could make a 21.25 db by setting one end to 20 and one to 22.5. Yes the dumbbell is a little off balance but it didn't bother me.

Honestly if I had room and a dedicated workout space, I would still have a rack with just regular dumbbells of all sizes.

Oh - the other thing about adjustable weights is that you can't easily do moves where you are putting your body weight on the dumbbell. So for the select tech - I can't do a push up on the weight like some workouts have you. Well I think technically you can, but it makes me nervous. With the powerblock you might have an issue with your wrist/arm needing more range of motion for this type of move.

Hope this helps.

Hi RGS424! We have adjustable weighted gloves in either 4 pounds or two pounds. What's nice about these is that they also can be used as your lifting glove since the weights are built into the glove. Empty the weight from the glove to use as a lifting glove only and then add desired weight as needed (can increase your weight up to four pounds). If you want to read more about them, click here:

http://shop.cathe.com/2_lb_s_per_glove_Fully_Covered_Palm_p/1216404.htm

OK, I am going to post this in 2 sections of the forum. I am about to start STS strength for first time. I did my 1-rep max for meso 1 week 1. I looked at my 'workout sheet' and it is calling for weights I don't have, like I need to use a 17 pound weight for a couple of exercises.

I wanted to buy one of those adjustable barbells. Does anyone have any recommendations on a brand and where to buy?

THANK YOU !!!

Another vote for Power Blocks. DH and I both use them (and we really beat them up), and they are still in great shape after 4 years of hard use.

I also rely a lot on Cathe's weighted gloves (the 4lb total / 2lb per glove version that she talked about above). These are particularly helpful for me when I want to use odd weight increments for the barbell. I also wear them to add extra oomph to kickboxing workouts.

But what IS nice is that you can get to those in between weights by setting each end of the dumbbell differently. So the settings are 7.5, 10, 12.5, 15, 17.5, 20, 22.5, 25, 30... but you could make a 21.25 db by setting one end to 20 and one to 22.5. Yes the dumbbell is a little off balance but it didn't bother me.

This is a great tip!! I have the SelectTech 552 and have always used my 1# weighted Cathe gloves when I can't make the 2.5# leap. I will have to try this sometime!

I will also agree with you that for smaller people (I am just shy of 5 feet tall :eek:) the SelectTechs are a little long and can be bulky. With that being said though, I don't have the space for a full set of dumbbells so these are perfect for my small area!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.