Active Older Adult Workouts

Yes, I agree. I’m in my 60’s and been a Cathlete for nearly 30 years. My foot has developed a neuroma so I can’t jump or lunge like I used to. I need something that gets my heart rate up without jumping or lunging! With so many of us aging gracefully as we have followed Cathe through the years it would be awesome to move into the next phase of our lives being fit and active.

Love the suggestions! I started Cathe in the early 90's and love all the options. Hard for me to jump like I used to - joint friendly - YES! My wrists are a little iffy now too. Just depends on the day!

I think a lot of us aging "boomers" are interested in remaining as fit as possible with joint friendly moves. I've been able to modify many workouts, but it would be nice to not have to figure it out (guess I like being "spoon-fed"). With the caveat that the workout is NOT a beginner-type workout - so many workouts geared toward the senior population are very low level.

Hee, hee, hee, Cathe see how greedy we are? We don't even have STS 2.0 yet, and we're already asking for more. lol I'm sure I speak for everybody when I say that we appreciate all that you do. I'm not sure that I'm ready to admit that I'm aging... but I will say that my body talks to me more than it used to, and because I've become wiser... I've learned to listen. :cool: My neck has been messed up for years, so it bothers me when I do most ab workouts, even though I'm not putting any pressure on it. I don't have this issue when I'm holding a weight or with some of the moves that start with the arms stretched above the head. My wrists scream at me when I so much as carry a pan from my kitchen to the dining room, so you can imagine what they're saying when I'm doing planks, push-ups, etc. They are also the reason I don't try to lift heavier. Whenever possible, I grip dumbbells for hands on the mat exercises, but it only helps a bit. I can handle a bit of impact here and there (jumping jacks). I actually feel it strengthens my ankles, but if I do an entire workout with a lot of that or even attempt one of your tuck jumps, I pay for it later. I've learned a lot from you over the years regarding modifications, so I'm pretty good at keeping my heartrate in the zone while modifying parts of a cardio workout that's going to be too much for my body. The wrists and neck thing, though, I have a difficult time working around without getting a lesser workout. So, I'm on board with the others. I'm ready for a workout or series that is geared toward catering to a cranky body while still being a Cathe challenge. Not sure if it can be done, but if it can, your the only one I can think of that would be able to pull it off and still keep it fun. I've checked into workouts that are supposed to be gentler, but quite frankly, they are either boring or they're more suitable for my active recovery day. So, if you happen to be looking for ideas for your next workout... I'd be all for a low/moderate impact cardio (with or without the step), a neck-friendly ab workout (or 2, maybe with a way to mix them for variety), and wrist-friendly strength training (not sure if this one is possible), and another one of your extended stretches and another mobility workout. I also wouldn't mind a portion of the cardio or other workouts having a few of those moves you kind of have to think about ("brain training"- kind of doing movements in a way that forces your brain to focus, because the movements don't come naturally - not sure how to explain it, but I've run into a few of them in a couple of your older workouts). Anyways, you're probably still recovering from all the work (physical and mental) that you put into the new STS, but when you're ready... (crossing my fingers hopefully). :)

Such a great post & ideas Braille! Not sure you subscribe to CatheLive, but she has 3 "Senior" workouts in that library that are great lower impact, gentler, and by no means strictly for Seniors. I love all
3 of them and they are alot of fun. They are what I would consider, at least for me, active recovery workouts.
If you don't use CatheLive, she has one that she did on YouTube a couple years go. It's titled as Cathe's
Lighter Intensity Workout. That's a fun little workout too=about 35 min. Matter of fact, I did that one this
AM. Cathe would be great doing a small series of this nature.

Hee, hee, hee, Cathe see how greedy we are? We don't even have STS 2.0 yet, and we're already asking for more. lol I'm sure I speak for everybody when I say that we appreciate all that you do. I'm not sure that I'm ready to admit that I'm aging... but I will say that my body talks to me more than it used to, and because I've become wiser... I've learned to listen. :cool: My neck has been messed up for years, so it bothers me when I do most ab workouts, even though I'm not putting any pressure on it. I don't have this issue when I'm holding a weight or with some of the moves that start with the arms stretched above the head. My wrists scream at me when I so much as carry a pan from my kitchen to the dining room, so you can imagine what they're saying when I'm doing planks, push-ups, etc. They are also the reason I don't try to lift heavier. Whenever possible, I grip dumbbells for hands on the mat exercises, but it only helps a bit. I can handle a bit of impact here and there (jumping jacks). I actually feel it strengthens my ankles, but if I do an entire workout with a lot of that or even attempt one of your tuck jumps, I pay for it later. I've learned a lot from you over the years regarding modifications, so I'm pretty good at keeping my heartrate in the zone while modifying parts of a cardio workout that's going to be too much for my body. The wrists and neck thing, though, I have a difficult time working around without getting a lesser workout. So, I'm on board with the others. I'm ready for a workout or series that is geared toward catering to a cranky body while still being a Cathe challenge. Not sure if it can be done, but if it can, your the only one I can think of that would be able to pull it off and still keep it fun. I've checked into workouts that are supposed to be gentler, but quite frankly, they are either boring or they're more suitable for my active recovery day. So, if you happen to be looking for ideas for your next workout... I'd be all for a low/moderate impact cardio (with or without the step), a neck-friendly ab workout (or 2, maybe with a way to mix them for variety), and wrist-friendly strength training (not sure if this one is possible), and another one of your extended stretches and another mobility workout. I also wouldn't mind a portion of the cardio or other workouts having a few of those moves you kind of have to think about ("brain training"- kind of doing movements in a way that forces your brain to focus, because the movements don't come naturally - not sure how to explain it, but I've run into a few of them in a couple of your older workouts). Anyways, you're probably still recovering from all the work (physical and mental) that you put into the new STS, but when you're ready... (crossing my fingers hopefully). :)
Ditto to what Braille said!

If you don't use CatheLive, she has one that she did on YouTube a couple years go. It's titled as Cathe's
Lighter Intensity Workout. That's a fun little workout too=about 35 min. Matter of fact, I did that one this
AM. Cathe would be great doing a small series of this nature.
I'm pretty old school (love my DVDs), so I don't have CatheLive. I'm going to check out the one you mentioned on YouTube. Thanks! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.