Achilles Tendonosis?

Hi Cathe - I'm writing in response to a previous thread you had responded to regarding you having chronic Achilles Tendonitis. I have been having the same pain as you mention for at least 2 months. I do your step tapes at least 6 days/wk. alternating once in a while with the stairmaster and lifecycle. I just went to a sports medicine doctor who diagnosed me with Achilles Tendonosis. :-( Are you familiar with the differences between the two? Here's a brief synopsis: It is a breakdown in the tendon, with small focal lesions w/in the tendon w/o an inflammatory response. The degeneration means that the tendon does not possess its normal tensile strength and may be liable to rupture w/continued sporting activities. There is great information on these topics at PhysioRoom.com, in case you or anyone else is interested in checking it out.

In any case, he advised me to do pain free activities, such as the stairmaster and/or bike and continue weight training but to avoid doing what creates any pain (for me - doing the step, and even walking at times). I have to also attend physical therapy for a while, of which they will have me do 'eccentric exercises' for the problem. I know you have mentioned that you had rehabilitated your problem for about 6 months. During that time what did you do to keep in shape? Did you do any cardio, or just weight training? I am very upset that I cannot continue to do the step but I know that I am going to have to for a while b/c if I do not I run a great risk of tearing my Achilles tendon, which would set me back even longer. :-( I would greatly appreciate any feedback you can provide in regards to this problem. Thank you for your continued support.

-Deirdre-

Hi Deirdre....I am very interested in Cathe's response also. I currently have Achilles tendonitis although not as bad as your Tendonosis. Doing step does not bother me. I use a Nordic track also. I can run about 4 miles at a time walking 30 seconds at every half mile. The pain for me is about a 2 on a 1-10 scale. I have not tried Physical Therapy yet. My therapist is brutal! I stretch it alot and ice the area a few times daily when I can. I have quit doing calf raises with weight because I am not sure if that hurts or helps. I have gained 5 lbs since I stopped doing distance ( I was up to 40 miles a week). I know extra weight does not help either. I have finally cleaned up my diet and am feeling better since I can't run alot. I'll be waiting patiently for Cathe's reply. Thanks for starting this thread....:)...Carole

Hi! I know I'm not Cathe but I have a background in sports medicine and thought maybe I could give you some ideas. If you're concerned about cardio and are a member of a gym, see if they have an upper body erg or a hand bike. They can give you a good cardio workout while also challenging your upper bodies endurance and toning your arms and back. Also many of the machines or exercises, such as biking, you do may be fine if you cut down the resistance but up the duration. As for weights, start each exercise no weight and gradually work back up, and pay attention to how it feels. If its painful stop. Also make sure to avoid any plyometric jumping or other calf power moves until your doctor tells you, you can since these are the types of activities that will put your achilles at the most risk. Make sure to follow your doctor's/therapist's orders though and and don't try to do too much too soon. I know injuries are tough to deal with, but stay motivated and good luck with your recovery! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.