Abs during push-ups

S

Steph

Hi Cathe!

I read your forum a lot and learn a ton from you!!I have been reading about push-ups on the toes and I seem to have a different problem than some of the other ladies. I think I have finally built up the upper body strength to push myself up, but what happens to me is that in the second set of push-ups on my toes my abs "pop out", my back sways and I have to drop to my knees. I work my abs about 4 times a week, but they sure don't seem to be very strong when I do push-ups.
Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you so much! Your tapes make my early morning workouts one of my favorite parts of the day.

Steph

Core Body Stabilization Exercise

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Dec-04-99 AT 05:58PM (EST)</font></center>

Hi Steph! Yes, I have the perfect exercise to help you strengthen your core body stabilizers(low back, abs, muscles surrounding lower spine).

The easiest way for me to describe this exercise is to have you imagine the position that you are in for your "on toes" push up position. Now what you are going to do is get into this same position EXCEPT instead of having your arms in the straight position(as when you prepare to lower your body down from the push up)you will have your arms bent so that your forearms are flat on the floor and your hands are in sort of a praying position. In other words, your arms are bent creating 90 degree angles. Now hold this position for as long as you can. To give yourself a goal, start by trying to hold this position for 10 seconds and work your way up to eventually holding it for about a minute(obviously over time and not all in one workout session).

FORM POINTERS: You should be on your toes, with your legs straight and your buttocks in a neutral position. Your buttocks should not drop down into a sway back position and it should also not be extended in the air(causing your body to look like an upside down letter v). Your abdominals, lower back, and spinal erector muscles should all be contracted. You should NOT be holding your breath at any time.

MODIFICATION: If you cannot do the exercise in a straight leg position, drop down to your knees and continue. You would be on your knees in the same way that you would do knee pushups(not the butt in the air version)but the only difference is now your weight is supported on your forearms. Please write back if I am not being clear enough for you. Good Luck!

I'll give it a try!

Hi Cathe!

I can picture what you are saying. I will give it a try!!!

Thank you so much for your time!!!

Steph

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.