Above-ground pool owners...

banslug

Cathlete
First-time pool owner here. I never had one growing up, so I'm totally clueless. Yes, I can call and ask the company from which I bought the pool, but their CS STINKS and I totally refuse to use them any more! I'm kind of learning as I go along! :) I do use a local company for water testing and buying the chemicals when I need and they are full of advice, but they have told me a few things that contradict what the original company told me (item #3 below is specifically what I'm referring to).

I have a DE filter and a 27" foot pool that holds about 18,000 gallons of water; I am wondering a few things:

• how long do you run your filter per day?
  • how often do you find you have to clean your filter?
  • and my BIGGEST question....is BACK WASHING the filter the same as CLEANING the filter grids??? This is the biggest thing I'm confused about. The original company is telling me NO need to back wash this filter, but the local company is telling me I SHOULD. What's the scoop on this???

I've googled a few things and have learned a few things, but again, item #3 above is where I'm just TOTALLY confused and stumped!

TIA for any and all help. Sorry to be so clueless about this!

We have an inground pool that is 15' by 30'. We ran the filter 8-12 hours a day and when it was outside we backwashed about once every other week. If discarded water runs dirty it needed to be done. You clean out the basket that holds clorine tablets once a day. After you vacuum the pool you also need to backwash.

Two years ago we built room around pool and it is now attached to the house. We run filter 8 hours a day but because dirt and leaves don't get into pool we only need to backwash ever few months.

Get a testing kit, you should be able to do that yourself.

Last edited:
Hi, Gayle! I asked my husband for his input. He said running filter depends on how much use the pool gets and how much sun. If it's in direct sun most of the day, figure about 10 hours to run filter.

I can see why you're confused about the backwash/cleaning filter as he described it to me and I'm confused, but bottom line is backwashing is different from cleaning the filter grids.

He said feel free to call and he'll walk you through it. Do you still have my #?

Thanks, ladies! I appreciate your input and help.

Dianna, I do still have your number...THANKS for that offer. I am going to try to figure it out this week, and if I don't I'll absolutely take your DH up on that offer!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.