? about modification for lunges and squats

likes2bfit

Cathlete
Cathe, Can you advise me on a modification, actually a substitute for squats and lunges?
For Squats in ME,I have been doing glute raises on the ball (like in PLB), adding #15 pound dumb bell. The count is following what you and the crew are doing in ME. Is this adivsable?

During the lunge segment, I 've been doing the outer and inner leg work on stability ball from PLB.When doing this I try to match the count you use for the lunges.

My goal is to get a good leg workout without stressing my patella, which has the cartilage worn down.

Would you comment on these substitutes?
Thank you for taking time to address this issue. :)

Judy

May God always grant you a sunbeam to warm you... a moonbeam to charm you...& a sheltering angel, so nothing can harm you :)

Cathe, Can you advise me on a modification, actually a substitute for squats and lunges?
For Squats in ME,I have been doing glute raises on the ball (like in PLB), adding #15 pound dumb bell. The count is following what you and the crew are doing in ME. Is this adivsable?

During the lunge segment, I 've been doing the outer and inner leg work on stability ball from PLB.When doing this I try to match the count you use for the lunges.

My goal is to get a good leg workout without stressing my patella, which has the cartilage worn down.

Would you comment on these substitutes?
Thank you for taking time to address this issue. :)

Judy

May God always grant you a sunbeam to warm you... a moonbeam to charm you...& a sheltering angel, so nothing can harm you :)

I use the exercise from PLB work out. put your head and shoulders on the ball. Have your body out almost horizontal heels on floor & toes elevated. Put the dumb bell on your lower abdomen and do lifts with your middle squeezing your glutes as you raise up.
Judy

Hi,

Since the primary joint actions of a squat and lunge are hip extension and knee extension, exercises that target these actions will suffice as substitutes.

The hamstrings and glutes are the hip extensors (The hamstrings also flex the knee.) Quarter deadlifts will target the hams and glutes, as the joint action of the exercise is hip extension. Floor work involving hip extension (ala early Firm videos - "shoot outs" and long and short lever leg lifts on your hands and knees) with ankle weights will also target these muscles, as will the "bridge work" with weights. I just did Firm Volume 1 the other day and yowza! The floorwork was quite tough!

The quadricep muscles extend the knee (one of the four also flexes the hip). How about seated leg extensions with ankle weights for the quads, and leg curls to target the hamstrings at the knee joint?

Step ups (leg presses) in Cathe's tapes also work all of these muscles. It's up to you whether or not you feel a shorter step and less weight would be okay for your knee.

-Roe

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.