? about barbell and shoulders

Jann

Cathlete
I just started doing PH and MIS for about a month. My problem is after putting the barbell on my shoulders and doing any of the leg exercises my arms/shoulders seem to go stiff to the point I can’t raise the barbell off of my shoulders. It is like the front of my shoulders can not stretch back far enough to lift after holding the barbell in place. I have been trying some shoulder stretches – but at this rate I will never be able to go heavy for fear of having to carry the barbell around until someone comes home to take it off my shoulders. Help?

WOuld it help to use dumbells held at your side or in front of your shoulders?

I have decided that lifting more than 45# over my head is not a good idea for my shoulders, and I bought a weighted vest that goes up to 20#. I combine the barbell with the vest to get up to 65#.

Are you holding your barbell correctly? For a time, I was putting the barbell on my actual shoulders and neck (ouch!) rather than the soft tissue of the back. It gave me neck aches. Maybe recheck how your barbell is positioned, too?

Rose

Thanks for replying to my question.
I am sure to put the bar on the soft tissue part of my neck when I can get it there.
I have been using dumbbells and would like to go heavier.
The problem is I can’t seem to stretch my arms wide enough, even to hold the barbell in place and by the time I need to remove it I just can’t. It is not that I am tired, it is just getting the bar on my shoulders and just trying to hold it immediately my anterior deltoids hurt. My shoulders don’t seem to be able to spread that far apart. My palms are forward and I have tried gripping in different places far apart etc.
I thought maybe there was some kind of stretch I could do or other exercise to make my shoulders open so that I can hold the bar.
Thanks,
Jann

Jann,
If you need to strengthen your upper body to support a barbell heavy enough to work your legs, try clicking on the link in my message above.
-Connie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.