About article: How much cardio do you need?

LadyLep

Cathlete
So, I didn't read the whole article thoroughly, I will later (need to get in RWH CUB before dinner!) but it says that HiiT is really only needed for 15 min a day a few times a week. Then why are most of the rotations filled with workouts that are long? Ok wondering if 15 min of HiiT either before or after abs or resistance training 4-5 days a week would cut it? Or HiiT and abs 3 times a week (30 min) and resistance training 3 times a week (30-45 min) should be sufficient for fat loss? Just wondering if I'm pushing myself too hard or feeling guilty unnecessarily if I don't get 5-6 days of 30-60 min workout mix of cardio HiiT and weight training in a week?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great question. :)

I am not trying to lose weight (nor do I gain weight or muscle all that easily). But I always keep the tabatas under 11 minutes & Hiits under 21.
(I make a point of not doing Xtrain Tabatacise in it's entirety. I have always felt "what's the point?" lol) More than that just feels unnecessary & does not replenish me.
I do mild-moderate steady state for approx 40 mins sometimes longer at least twice week however. It is mainly to clear my head, but I like the benefits of it keeping weight retention from my lower back. For some reason if I do not walk, I tend to get this. I know this is not consistently a recommendation though when on a weights regimen.

Ok wondering if 15 min of HiiT either before or after abs or resistance training 4-5 days a week would cut it? Or HiiT and abs 3 times a week (30 min) and resistance training 3 times a week (30-45 min) should be sufficient for fat loss?

Should fat loss be the only goal, yes it should be enough. Nutrition 70-80% coming into play, it is very important:)

As to your first question, It is impossible to make a rotation pleasing everyone IMO.
We should bare in mind we all have different goals. Some do not have any and just follow the motion!

Some still strongly believe moderate long steady pace is what has always worked since their
twinties;);):oops: They cling onto the old way. That was the trend from the past and we have all been there!

On the other hand some prefer Hiit and it has proven to be beneficial should the goal be aesthetic and/or
health.Rotations have IMO followed the trend supported by researches. ICE and RwH are not as long as rotations dated
five, ten years ago:)

There is no harm mixing long steady and Hiit as part of cross training.

With all premixes, one would customize the rotation to match the training protocol mentioned in the article. All the best.

http://cathe.com/much-cardio-need

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.