Abdominal Split

JennineA

Hi, I lurk here all the time since the beginning of this pregancy and lots during my last pregnancy also (DS was born 11/2001). I'm 4 & 1/2 mos pregnant (2nd time) and my Dr. told me I could do sit ups (Yay!). So yesterday I did Firm Sculpted Buns Hips and Thights, which contrary to its name is mostly sit ups.

Last night I was reading a magazine article that tells how to test for an abdominal split, and sure enough, I've got one! Its big enough to fit in 3 or 4 fingers! The article said this means I shouldn't do sit-ups, or I will strain my back (which hurts plenty anyway - I thought ab strengthening would help that).

The article did not explain what is an abdominal split? What does it mean? Will it heal? What kind of ab exercises can I do? (and why or why not?)

I sure wish I hadn't given away my copy of "Expecting Fitness" from my last pregnancy. Can Sheila help me? Or some other wise person?

Thanks!

-Jennine

Hi Sandra,

Thanks very much for the link. That was very informative. However, I still hope to find out more about what this means for me as a pregnant person. Most of that discussion was about what it means after pregnancy.

It is remarkably easy to check for the separation. You do part of a crunch, that is lift your abs part way up off the floor, and then feel with your fingers several inches above your belly button up to your breast bone. If you have one, you will feel a gap. You should not do traditional crunches if you have one, because that will overwork your back muscles.

My magazine article indicates that two thirds of women "approaching delivery" can develop this weakness.

Hope this helps!

-Jennine

Hi Jennine,

Below you will find an excerpt from my "Healthy Moms(R) Perinatal Fitness Instructor Training Manual" regarding Diastasis recti and its exercise implications.

Diastasis Recti

As a quick review, the rectus abdominis is the outermost abdominal muscle, which attaches from the top of the ribs to the pubic bone. It is composed of two halves called recti that are normally about a half an inch apart. The two recti are joined by a fibrous band of connective tissue or central seam known as the linea alba. The hormones of pregnancy cause the linea alba to soften. This is why women notice a “thicker” waistline early in their pregnancies. This softening coupled with the increased pressure from the growing baby may actually cause the two recti to separate around the area of the navel, somewhat like a zipper separating under stress. The onset of diastasis recti may be gradual or sudden (Ex. During a bout of coughing or during labor). During pregnancy, a gap or bulge is often noticed in the seam when the head and shoulders are raised. This is the “telltale” sign of a diastasis. Women sometimes find their diastases when they are rising out of bed and notice the bulge.

Implications
Pregnant women should be checked for separation after the 20th week of pregnancy or when they begin to “show.” They should be checked every few weeks after their initial assessment. Clients should also be checked after they return to class postpartum, as they may have separated during labor and delivery.

The oblique muscles, which are involved with trunk rotation, insert into the linea alba. If a mom has a separated rectus muscle, she should not be doing rotational oblique work as this could encourage further separation. It is necessary to “splint” the seam (i.e. the “corrective” exercise) by crossing the hands over the lower abdomen when doing abdominal work.

Separation Check
POSITION: Supine, knees bent. Press fingers of one hand (horizontally) firmly into area around navel (perpendicular to the linea alba)

ACTION: Client slowly raises head and shoulders about 8 inches off the floor while reaching for her knees.

CHECK: How many fingers remain in gap?
• A slight gap (~ ½ - 1 finger) is normal.
• ~ 2 or more finger separation: Client should do the “Corrective Exercise” below.

Corrective Exercise
POSITION: Supine with knees bent. Cross hands over the abdominal area and guide the recti muscles toward the midline to stabilize them.

ACTION: Inhale deeply. Slowly exhale and pull in abdominal muscles (“pull navel to spine”) while simultaneously pulling the underlying muscles together with your hands. Do not raise shoulders as they engage the obliques, which insert on the seam. Return to starting position.

This exercise should be done a few times in the morning and evening while lying in bed to keep the recti muscles in maximum tone and to discourage further separation.

Hope this helps!!

Sheila

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.