Abdominal Fat - Can you really get rid of it?

Elln

Cathlete
I would like to hear from anyone who has had luck in getting rid of abdominal fat! Alot of it!!! I am trying everything from 3x a week on the Elliptical; doing Cathe's weight training videos; fast walking trips and of course, watching my diet. I am beginning to wonder if it is even possible to get rid of abdominal fat. Mine just doesn't want to go away. Yet I watch these info-mercials all the time where they claim to have lost mega inches within days. It's been months for me and my measurements have not changed. Not sure what to do next. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Ellen

Can you give us some more info? What does an average day of eating look like? Perhaps you aren't eating enough. Are you at an age where you could be peri-menopausal? Do you have a lot of stress in your life? Do you drink a lot of caffine? Both stress and caffine raise cortisol levels which has been shown to increase abdominal fat. Have you had your thyroid levels checked? Your levels could be low - this would also cause lethargy but it sounds like you have a good bit of energy. I'm just trying to throw some things out there.

Do you have access to a gym? I'd recommend making an appointment with a personal trainer (check thier certifications first, go with a reputable gym), they will be able to analyze your diet and exercise habits and should be able to pinpoint what needs work. Even if it's just for one visit - it's worth it in my opinion.

Those informercials drugs haven't been approved by the FDA so beware - they aren't the answer.

Are you doing cardio just 3 times a week? To lose weight you should be doing some kind of aerobic/anaerobic exercise 4-5 times a week. That's what I do just to maintain my current weight.

I am 53 years old and my thyroid is normal. I do not drink alot of caffeine nor do I have alot of stress in my life. Since I was just diagnosed with an allergy to "Wheat" - my diet is very carefully watched. I have to read all labels - so I am not a junkie!

I was not referring to infomercial DRUGS rather the exercise equipment and videos promising mega inches lost!

So, now that you know my background - any additional thoughts?

LauraMax:

From March 2005 thru June 2005, I was doing 5x a week on the Elliptical for 45 minutes each time (intense level), and after 3 months, I did NOT lose any inches or any weight. I then read that you shouldn't do the same thing because your body gets use to it, and just doesn't respond. So, I stopped and got into Cathe's weight videos and outdoor walking. Now, I am getting back into the Elliptical but only 2x a week (intense level)and doing my walking 1x or 2x a week as well. I have lost 35 lbs but have another 20 to go - and it just won't budge.

Holy moly, you have made some major progress! Here I thought you'd been working out without progress at all, & you're actually more than halfway to your goal--way to go!

ETA: I'm not sure I agree with that "your body gets used to doing the same thing." I've heard that before too but I just don't know if I believe it. My cardio varies quite a bit but that's b/c of my schedule & when & where I can fit things in. But my weight training routine has varied hardly at all over the last 12 years or so & I have seen pretty good results.

It looks to me like you are making good progress as noted above. My experience has been that abdominal fat is the first to pile on and
the last to leave.

An approacch that has been helpful for me in the past, and one Cathe herself commented on was adding interval workouts and circuit workouts into your schedule. I'll see if I can dig up the thread.

The main idea was that adding in 2-3 interval workouts, and 1-2 circuit WO per week for a month or so and then switching to 1-2 interval workouts and 2-3 circuit style WO for another month. Keep up with regular weight workouts and ab workouts and aim for 5 cardios per week including the circuit days.

Judy "Likes2bfit"

ETA here is the link:
http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=2&topic_id=33585

Elln,

I am 50 and also peri-menopausal. I know there is some correlation between estrogen and fat accumulation in certain areas of the body, lower abs included. I have a small fatty pocket in my lower abdomen that didn't show up until I started peri-menopause. I am not saying that it won't go away...I'm just saying that it's going to be extremely difficult to get rid of (as if you don't know that already).

As far as eating, what has been recommended in Oxygen magazine is to only eat protein and fibrous carbs for your last two or three meals. Starchy carbs and fruit should be eaten only the first half of the day. Somehow this is supposed to help your body lean out.

HTH:)

Hi Ellen,
I believe abdominal fat is mostly hereditary, although there are things you can do do minimize it by making good food choices. I too am peri-menopausal, but for myself, don't subscribe to the theory of any set time of eating certain foods. I eat all day and I snack right before I go to bed (otherwise, I wake up in the middle of the night hungry). I've never gained an extra ounce of abdominal fat eating this way. I also do ab work twice a week and this has worked out really well for me.

I agree with the others who suggested working on your diet then the exercise. Combined I'm sure you can minimize whatever abdominal fat you have.

Robin;-)

Your body absolutely gets used to a certain exercise. This leads, among other things, to overuse injuries. I've seen this in myself so dramatically and I was so surprised. It's more than cardio!

The following is from a book called "The Diabetic Athlete" by Sheri Colberg, PhD and it explains precisely what goes on. I'm posting because the effect doesn't have to do with being diabetic, but the diabetes makes it more evident as a way to explain. I was on a marathon "track" 2 years ago, to the point where running 18 miles required no change in my insulin levels- where 1.5 years before that, my blood sugar would drop after a 100 yard jog! I got injured, started to bike instead (I had only been running/the firm for cardio). My first time on the bike I went low (hypoglycemia) within 10 minutes. I should also point out that my blood sugar is affected whenever I increase all my weights, but in general weight lifting isn't an activity that by itself lowers blood sugar.

Training improves your body's capacity to metabolize fat, which results in a greater use of fat, a slower depletion of muscle glycogen, and a reduced use of blood glucose during an activity once your muscles have adapted to it by doing your training regimen. The training effect on fuel utilization is very evident in people with diabetes. It manifests as an eventual reduced need for additional carbohydrate during an activity after doing the same activity for several weeks. Chronic exercise training has been shown to decrease the hormonal response to submaxial exercise. When a diabetic athlete follows a training regimen, less of the glucose-raising hormones are released in response to exercise of the same intensity (i.e., less glucagon, epinephrine, norepinephrine, growth hormone, and cortisol are released). In a nondiabetic person, a smaller reduction in insulin in response to exercise also occurs. The result of all these differences is a reduced use of blood glucose and muscle glycogen and a greater use of fat for the same intensity of exercise after training- all of which result in more normal (higher) blood sugar levels (less risk of hypoglycemia) during the activity. This change in fuel use explains why diabetic people need to eat more carbohydrates to maintain blood sugar levels when initially participating in an activity; but they need to eat less for the same activity after doing it for several weeks.

Hi Robin!

Thanks for your response! I would like to ask you exactly what does your "Ab Work" consist of? Do you follow a particular video or just do exercises on your own? And how long is your ab session?

I don't think there is anything I hate to do more than "ABS". I lost my 35 lbs by just doing WW and walking. I was kind of surprised to see that adding exercise to my program didn't speed up my progress. However, the weight training is more for medical reasons - to increase spinal bone density - but my elliptical training really surprised me - I thought I would really have lost - but someone also told me that since I only had the resistance on "1" - it wouldn't have any weight loss effect - just better heart health. So, now I have the resistance up to "3" with the hopes of increasing it every 2 weeks - and I will see if this does anything. But, it is very discouraging - to work so hard and NOT see any results. Look forward to hearing more about your ABS WORKOUT. And by the way, your photos are great!!!!!

Elln,

Please remember that when you add weight training and begin to add muscle mass, you may find that your weight may be a little higher due to muscle gain. Many of us on the forum have experienced this. So, you should not let the scale be your only guide. You should also go by the feel of your clothes and your image in the mirror.

Hi Ellen,
Thanks for the nice compliment.:) I love Cathe's Coremax (18-20min), Ab Ripper X (16 min), Turbo Jam Abs (20 min) or bits and pieces of Ab Hits to equal about 15 minutes (I only do DVDs). I usually only do specific ab work twice a week, but I alternate them and mix them up. (I've never really gained weight in that area anyway even after I had a baby.) I also do Pilates Reformer work or Matwork once or twice during the week so I'm sure I get plenty of additional corework. I think most people should do specific ab work three times a week if they are looking for results. Kickboxing is also great "sneaky" fatburning ab work (try KPC or Kickmax!) that you can do during the week in addition to your regular ab routines. You can definitely get more defined watching your diet and exercising.....whatever what age you are;-) .

Robin:9

>Hi Ellen,
>Thanks for the nice compliment.:) I love Cathe's Coremax
>(18-20min), Ab Ripper X (16 min), Turbo Jam Abs (20 min) or
>bits and pieces of Ab Hits to equal about 15 minutes (I only
>do DVDs). I usually only do specific ab work twice a week, but
>I alternate them and mix them up. (I've never really gained
>weight in that area anyway even after I had a baby.) I also do
>Pilates Reformer work or Matwork once or twice during the week
>so I'm sure I get plenty of additional corework. I think most
>people should do specific ab work three times a week if they
>are looking for results. Kickboxing is also great "sneaky"
>fatburning ab work (try KPC or Kickmax!) that you can do
>during the week in addition to your regular ab routines. You
>can definitely get more defined watching your diet and
>exercising.....whatever what age you are;-) .
>
>Robin:9

Hi Robin,
I love your pics. Who took them? I'm sure my hobby would like picture of me like yours. That could be a Xmas gift. You are lucky to be so fit and that you kept your breasts. My problem is when I loose weight, I loose lot's of weight in my breasts.

What is your weekly routine to stay in shape like that? And also do you eat clean all the time? You are an inspiration for me.

I am perimenopause as well and since I had my 3rd child (11 yrs ago), I have a small pouch on my abdomen that is not going away, even after WW and exercises. I guess this could be heredity. Also, in my case, I have a cellulite problem. This is probably from my mom. Even with exercises it won't go away. I guess I learned to accept myself like I am.

Helene:

Unfortunately, mine is more than a "little pouch" - i have been blessed with "love handles" as well. LUCKY ME!!!! I decided that I will be doing exercises until I am 80!

I guess I have to realize that if I can increase my spinal bone density and exercise my heart - I should be more than satisfied!

Hi Hélène,

You should get your pictures taken for a X-mas gift! I'm sure your DH would love it. A good photograher whether it be a hubby or a friend will shoot you in the right light and find the best angle to shoot you from. Don't feel you have to be perfect to do a photo shoot...none of us are!! Bring lots of sexy outfits and have lots of fun!!

As for workout routines, right now I'm doing a P90X classic rotation mixed in with Cathe DVDs. Previous to that, I loved doing Debbie's rotations... the "One body part a week" rotation and "Strength 4 Week Rotation." I had wonderful results with both of them (don't forget to add the ab work in the One body part a week rotation ). Cathe's August rotation was also awesome, but a killer (I wasn't used to that much circuit training).

I don't eat clean all the time....I like pretzel nuggets now and then, but my overall diet is pretty good (I follow the BFFM plan). I eat primarily eggwhites or eggbeaters, oatmeal, greenbeans, salmon, chicken, salad, apples, bananas, pineapple, brown rice and almonds (slivers in my green beans) and broccoli. (I also use protein powder when I need a little protein boast in my oatmeal in the morning.)

I am not a fanatic about anything except maybe my DH and DD. If I miss a workout there is always tomorrow. If I eat too much or too little...oh well...such is life. After I turned 40...I too became much more accepting of myself which ironically made me a much healthier and happier person then I ever was at 20 or 30 (go figure!).

Robin:9

Thanks Robin,

Never heard of BFFM plan or P90X. Sounds interesting.

I guess you are right, exercise and sensible eating will do the trick.

Life is too short.:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.