A RT Without Step Is Just Not A Road Trip!

NancyAZ

Cathlete
SNM, Cathe posted on the forum a tentative list of workouts for the Chicago RT. Step is glaringly absent from the list. As I'm sure you have seen from some of the responses, having a step class is extremely important to many of us attending the trip.

Please reconsider the lineup and put a step class back into the mix. We are already losing out on the usual meals, and we're okay with that -- otherwise we would not have signed up. Transportation has also been challenging, to say the least. We're okay with that and have dealt with it. But losing out on what is a fan favorite would leave us most unhappy:(.

Again, please reconsider and put step back on the schedule. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I concur. Step is a favorite for many of us (myself included), and it just won't be the same without it (the step workouts were a highlight to me at Disney).

Thank you.

I also agree. To be honest, if I had known before signing up, I would have given serious thought to attending the Glassboro trip rather than the Chicago trip. It would have been nice to get this information BEFORE we had committed.

Chicago Classes

Unfortunately, It would cost about $20,000 to purchase and ship enough steps for the Chicago event and that is just not practical to do for only two classes. Not to mention all of the problems and time it takes to unpack and then repack the steps with our limited event staff on site so they could be shipped back. Cathe teaches a wide variety of classes so I don't think anyone will be disappointed. We will bring our other pieces of equipment like our Slide N Glide discs and bands, but steps are just too bulky of item for an event like this.

Let's get creative

Can we brainstorm how we can have steps? Do you have to buy new ones? If it's a packing up problem I'm sure everyone would be willing to help with that. Maybe if we get creative we can come up with a way to make this work.

-- Mindy

Wow. I know we all love step, but I think one weekend without it will be OK. It's about getting to spend time with Cathe. We all know everything she teaches is beyond amazing and just being there in that environment is so exciting. I totally understand the inability to get that many steps to Chicago. You will all be amazed at her technique regardless if she's using a step or not, because after all, she is Cathe! Saying how disappointed you will be if there is no step and you might have even reconsidered going is quite an insult to Cathe and her staff and all that they do.

I may be a slow learner - I can't find the tentative schedule. Could you please post a link or point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Not a big deal!

Cathe NEVER disappoints!! The lack of a step class (although sad for many) won't have a negative impact on the roadtrip. The real heart of these roadtrips is Cathe ,herself, and the energy and excitement that the Cathletes bring when they get together to ROCK it out with her live! Kickbox, slide glide, lower body, upperbody, core work, yoga... who knows where this will go! No matter the twists and turns it's sure to be a FULL ON BLAST!

I agree with Jenn that Cathe, as always, will provide us with a wonderful, fun filled road trip. Although personally, I'm not going to lie, I am another one who will miss not having step there. Since it has been a part of all the other road trips, it would have been nice to know that it was not going to be included before we signed up, so that decisions as to which road trip to try for could have been based using that information.

Even though I will miss step, I know that we will all have a blast. I can't wait to reconnect with my Cathe friends and make some new ones. The next 2 months are going to go by fast.

Someone asked about a tentative schedule. Here's the one from the sign up page.(scroll toward the bottom) I'm not sure if another has been posted.
Cathe Roadtrip Chicago 2012

I am a little bummed too because step is my absolute favorite activity. Not a week goes by that doesn't contain a step routine, and most weeks contain 2-3 days with step.

Just curious, were steps at other destination road trips? If so how did that work without being cost prohibitive?

I would be willing to bring my own step but I am sure that is not an option for everyone so probably not a viable solution. I would also be willing to come early and leave later for unpacking and packing but that doesn't defer the cost so again probably not a viable option.

Oh bummer:-(

I am not going to the Chicago RT, but I have been to a destination RT, and Cathe and her crew have a lot of work on their hands for trips outside of Glassboro. They have to try their hardest to create a gymlike atmosphere for 130+ attendees (that's a lot of work). And I know the "live" Cathe workouts are a big part of the trip, but so is the social aspect, meeting Cathe and getting a chance to chat with her, making new friends, etc. She will still deliver kick butt workouts...trust me, boot camp is always a burner, CCC - can't get any harder than that, and if she does something like Afterburn too....you won't even be able to lift your legs high enough to step onto the platform of the step.

I love love love step, so I understand why there is disappointment, but you will have fun no matter what!

You have about 2 months until your trip, so lucky....have fun!!! I wish I was going!!

Hi Everybody! I sooooo hear you on your dissappointment of not having steps. I LOVE step too....totally love it :D But unfortunately at all of our destination roadtrips the steps have been our biggest economic sore spot in many ways. Please let me explain.....

1) We have to order steps (since those at our gym are needed for here) and ship them to Chicago. That right there is a huge cost.

2) Once the steps arrive (always a few days ahead of us to avoid mishaps), the hotel charges us to unload them onto their site plus charges a daily fee to store them.

3) Once we arrive onsight, our limited staff is up a good portion of the night wheeling in all the steps from storage and unpacking and setting up 100 plus steps from their orginal packaging.

4) I usually only do 1 full class of step and then another class that only uses steps for the first 30 minutes. So its a total of 1.5 classes with step.

5) Once the event is over, our staff has to repackage all of the steps into all of their individual boxes (takes hours) and then we have to pay to have them taken off the hotel site and then pay to have them shipped back to New Jersey. Again, a huge cost.

So when we look at it logically, the expense and labor involved for having step classes at the destination roadtrips is completely not feasible.

While we loved every moment of our past destination roadtrips with you, we learned over the past couple of years that it is impossible to offer these events at $299 (other than Disney) and include all the things that we did. I was actually ready to stop having destination roadtrips as a result (but will always have the Glassboro RT :)). I even started mentioning it the forums and FB when people asked me. Then to my surprise the resort outside of Chicago called and said they had a cancellation that we could take if we were still interested. Well of course I was always interested but since the trips just weren't affordable to do anymore I decided to put out a direct note to all of you asking you to only let us know if you were truly interested in attending and that if enough interest was there the trip could only be done with certain meal cutbacks.

In order to keep the price for attending the destination road trip down to what it is, we have to make wise decisions on what makes sense to do and what doesn't. So, just as promised, you are getting 6 hard core authentic workouts with me. Please trust me when I tell you that even though I won't have the 1.5 step classes that I had in the past, these 6 jam packed workouts will make you work hard, sweat hard and earn your next meal :eek:

Thank you so much for listening to my point of view. I hope it brings some clarity to the situation.

See you in Chicago...ready to rock, jump, punch, slide, etc...

Wow. I didn't know you had to buy new steps! That's crazy. Thank you for clearing things up, Cathe. I'm still a little bummed, because I adore step, but I know you won't disappoint us!

When I told my DH, he immediately suggested BYOS, but with many people flying, it probably wouldn't work :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.