a question on estrogen

Ranae

I was reading our local newspaper this morning and in the lifestyles section was information on heart disease. The section talked about the American diet & sedentary lifestyle and how artery clogging fat builds up long before there are symptoms ( they do autopsies on young people and find the fat in their arteries). I've also heard that estrogen is protective in women but that at menopause if estrogen therapy is not started women catch right up there with men in death from heart disease. I'm wondering if anyone knows what it is that estrogen does to be protective? Or maybe someone knows a good website where I can find this information?

estrogen

You might check out Andrew Weil's web site (cgi.pathfinger.com). I've heard that also. I've also heard that losing iron through menstruation may be protective for heart attacks, which is another reason women's chances of having a heart attack increase after menopause. Estrogen can increase the risk of breast cancer, though phytoestrogens (plant-based estrogens found in soy , wild yams, and some other plants) don't seem to carry this same risk.

Estrogens

In those with a family history of Breast CA or Endometrial CA, it is a no no. In those with fibrocystic disease, you need to check with the doc. Also those with a history of familial stroke should be cautious and speak to a health professional about the risk and benefits
For those with a history of heart disease, ert ( estrogen replacement therapy) will help decrease the risk of heart disease and attacks.
It also prevents osteoporosis in conjunction with a balanced diet and a moderate weight bearing exercise program.

You can take a combination ERT approach that mimics the natural chemistry of the body by combining progesterone into the regimen. It does eliminate the risk of cervical/endometrial ca and also decrease the risk to some degree of breast ca. HOWEVER note that after 50, regardless of family history, the risk of having breast ca goes up.
Reg mammograms and breast checkups are essential.

If you are on ERT and get Breast CA there will be substitutes to prevent the osteoporosis and the phytoestrogens will help decrease the post menopausal symptoms.

Progesterone vs. Estrogen

Before you believe what the media has to say about estrogens, you should read Dr. Lee's books on Menopause and Perimenopause.

Many doctors prescribe estrogen for almost any female problem, when it is usually a lack of progesterone. Our body are bombarded by estrogens in milk, aluminums and even in ground water.

I have always had problems with heavy periods, PMS, weight gain and undiagnosed second time infertility problems. I finally was able to find a doctor who did 4 weeks of blood tests to find out where my levels of hormones were in my cycle.

What we found out is that my body had 2 times normal estrogen levels and nonexistant progesterone levels. With natural sublingual progesterone tablets, my hormone levels have started to stabilize. It doesn't take overnight however, you must be dedicated to figure out your own dosages and how the hormones are working that month.

Perimenopause symptoms are alieviated by progesterone treatments. (Sore breasts, heavy bleeding, emotional issues)

1/26/00 news report on study on ERT with Prog

shows in a singular study that breast CA is increased 8fold compared to ERT alone.
this study has some flaws as indicated by one researcher and it has yet to be duplicated.
but it does give you pause to think and reflect what to do and what to take
Stevie

What type of progesterone was studied?

I saw mention of this study. ERT is normally done with synthetic estrogens and synthetic progesterones. From what I understand, synthetic progesterone can mimic estrogens so one gets a double whammy of estrogen.

Also, the study shows slim women who took ERT had a higher incidence of cancer than overweight women. I would like to see the validity numbers for the study as well as the blood hormone levels or saliva levels of the women before and after taking hormones. My guess is that no baseline was established in the women.

Health websites

Hi Ranae,
As a 50 yr. old woman in the midst of menopause who had a sister die of breast cancer at age 26, I read every thing I can about hormone replacement therapy (HRT). My favorite website is John Hopkins' at www.intelihealth.com. I subscribe to their newsletter with all the current medical news. There are so many studies & the findings change so often its hard to know what to do. Currently I'm taking calcium supplements, trying to eat a healthy balanced diet, doing aerobic exercise & weight training three times a week. The hot flashes only bother me at night & contribute to insomnia, the exercise really helps the mood swings & my husband is still alive, so I'm going to continue to refrain from HRT.
Good luck!
Kay

ert combo study

the story did not indicate the kind of progesterone or the type of ert they used . Nor did it truly have a baseline. There were flaws indicated in the study a well known OBGYN/oncologist said in print in the news.
So.. it is a single study, not replicated, not found to be totally accurate or precise. It is still left to the woman and her MD to decide what to do.

Thanks Kay and everyone!

I appreciate all the knowledgable responses-- I will check out the web sites mentioned. My curiosity is mainly preventative at this time since I'm not yet forty--but I was reading how peri-menopause can start at 35 and last for 15 years before true cessation occurs. I was also reading this book that presented theories on menopause and its purpose in evolution. This doctor believes that it is an anomaly in women produced by the improvement in health care and increasing longevity and since womens bodies never evolved to be without estrogen it is best to take it. Interesting and compelling --I'm glad I have time to educate myself before I have to make a choice. Thanks again Ranae

Herbal estrogen helpers

Having been absolutely tortured by PMS for the past few years, I've been trying every natural remedy ever written about (virtually). The biggies are Evening Primrose Oil and Black Cohash--oh, and there's a lot of recent publicity about Chaste Berry. After taking 1300 mg of EPO and 240 mg of Black Cohash daily for a few months, I can honestly say that my PMS symptoms vanished. It was amazing. However, be warned---women have very different needs in this regard. What works for one woman might prove to be quite ineffective for another. For example, my girlfriend, suffering the same symptoms, tried my herbal regimen and found that, since EPO and Black Cohash are "estrogen binders", they react much like actual estrogen in the body--- hence, she suffered estrogen-like side effects (sluggishness, bloating). From what I've read, they may work better for perimenopausal symptoms rather than PMS, per se. Has anyone tried any of these herbs? What were your experiences?

Chiming in a little late...

....on this intriguing subject. You can't pick up a paper these days without seeing yet another article about HRT studies, complete with warnings about the heart dangers, the breast cancer dangers, etc.

Having made it through perimenopause without HRT and without too much difficulty, I was truly reluctant to start introducing "artificial" substances into my otherwise healthy body. However, earnest discussions with a doctor I trust, and information gathering elsewhere, finally convinced me that for protecting my bones and my heart, a combination estrogen/progestin pill is in my best interest. Because I don't "feel" anything different, it's hard to accept that I'm actually receiving a benefit. Maybe when I'm 110 years old, some study will say, "You did the right thing!" I'm counting on it!

Made the same decision.

I also read extensively and discussed situation at length with my thoroughly feminist gyn. Couldn't take anymore of the lost sleep (to name just one symptom) -- a yr. of insomnia is quite enough. And the heart/bone benefits are convincing. I'm worried about the latest progestin studies however, but see my Dr. often and we continually re-evaluate.

Everyone is different in how they respond to the big "M". If you're thin like I am, you lose estrogen even more quickly. For that and who knows what other reasons I was having a very bad time. The natural route was not working either -- and I tried it all. Want to emphasize though that vitamin/herb path should be tried and given a chance before considering the other option. On the other hand, you're not a failure if you do HRT.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.