A question about fetal movement

shopaholic

Cathlete
I am almost 34 weeks along due 9/21/03. Throughout pregnancy, I have not felt a ton of movement but have periods of a couple of minutes of movement. Recently
I am feeling even less, hours of no movement and then maybe two movements. I am feeling some so I am not rushing to the doctor. I see the doctor on Thurs. Have others experienced this? Also, I read near the end, you feel less movement since the baby has less room, when does this happen?

Hi there,

Just to be on the safe side, I would call your caregiver and voice your concerns. Then let he or she decide if you should be seen earlier than Thursday. Each baby has its own characteristic pattern of movement and if that characteristic pattern changes in any way, it warrants a "check" just to be sure that the baby is okay. It is true that you will experience less movement in the latter stages of pregnancy, but I would call just to make sure.

Keep us posted!

Sheila

Sheila S. Watkins, MLSci.
Founder and National Program Director
Healthy Moms(R) Fitness
www.healthymomsfitness.com

I am not a medical care provider but I am a Doula and Childbirth Educator. Babies are most active between 24 and 28 weeks. If your baby has been deep and anterior (which is a good thing) or if you have a long pelvis that would be a reason not to feel as much movement as someone that had a not so deep baby or a shorter pelvis or even just a more active baby. Even in utero each baby has there own personality traits and states of active/alertness and rest times. What we recommend to woman is 10 movements per day. Those ten movements can be even the slightest of moves, a roll, a tumble, a kick, a nudge. Any signs of movement. I would still check with your care provider, but if having at least 10 movements per day I wouldn't worry to much about it. Babies tend to slow way down with their movements about 32 weeks as they don't have as much room to move around. :) Sonya Mom to 4 and Due 10/03

Thanks Sonya. That really helps. Today and yesterday I actually felt quite a bit of monement. I was thinking that I was supposed to feel 10 movements an hour, which I never felt. 10 movements a day, much more realistic.

Shopaholic,
Every one of my babies has had a different pattern of movement from moving extremely little to moving like popcorn. I tend to be a bit of a worrier, so I would check with my doctor just to be on the safe side. But probably everything is fine. Just a side note, the less active the baby (in my case), the more sleepy and mellow after birth.
The active ones have been my intense and wakeful and more demanding ones.

Keep us posted.

Maggie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.