A personal question (maybe)

HipChick

Cathlete
Hi all. I have a tubal scheduled for February 27th & I'm a bit nervous. Of course, I had a long meeting with my doc y-day & I feel like I'm well informed but I guess I'm just looking for some helpful advice & hopefully some positive input. Has anyone here had that type of surgery or know anyone who has? TIA for any information &/or advice anyone can offer.

I had mine done after my Cesarean. My friend just had hers done this past Monday she was sore through yesterday still. Take it easy and relax.

beth6395

"Double Knot your laces and let's move on"
-Cathe Friedrich

I had mine done in 2005 the day after I gave birth to my son. The incision was sore and I felt crampy (but that also could have been due to the delivery). Like the previous posted said, take it easy and relax.

Compared to ben wa balls your question is relatively a snooze Ms. Kel :7
Good luck, don't get yourself too nervous, and look for me in the recovery room. I'll be the one in disco scrubs with your margarita in hand :9

I had one done 20 years ago. All I remember is being groggy and stupid for a day from the anesthsia and some soreness around the incision. Don't wear elastic sweatpants that come to the waist.

<All I remember is being groggy and stupid for a day>
Don't be fooled. It was the margaritas! }(

Thanks ladies... I feel better already!:) Although the promise of margaritas in the recovery room offered by a cool chick wearing disco scrubs sure didn't hurt.:p }( No really... I appreciate the personal accounts more than you know. My doc told me to take it easy for 2 weeks & then I should be able to resume normal activities (if anything I do can be considered normal, that is:+). She said I probably wouldn't feel like doing anything at all during the first several days but that I could get on the treadmill & walk if I felt up to it after about 5 days & I can't lift anything heavier than 25 pounds. But I'm honestly not as concerned about taking time off from exercise as I am about the surgery itself. If I feel the need to take the entire 2 weeks off, I will with no problem & I'm actually planning to take the first full week off completely anyway. Thanks again for the personal accounts & information... oh & the promise of margaritas too!:7

To me, the worst part was the gas. Not like gas that you could just burp or get rid of some other way if-you-know-what-I-mean :p but gas and air that was floating around under your skin, causing cramps and shoulder (!) pain. Otherwise, I was just plain bone-tired. After a week, I was fine. You'll do great!

Kel, I had my tubal just about 8 years ago. Are you having it done laparascopically? That's the easiest way and quickest to recover from.

Although I missed the disco scrubs and margaritas ;( I had the usual post-anesthesia nausea - if you know that anesthesia makes you sick be sure to tell them when you go in. They have great stuff to prevent that nowadays.

I was not particularly sore right after the surgery but I did have pain, as I went through my next few cycles. My doc had warned me that as the tubes are pinched off there is a reaction over time.

All that being said, it was one of the best decisions I ever made and I am so happy I did it.

Good luck and please let us know how you are doing.

I had a tubal with a D&C in 1991. I recall going to the hospital at 11:00 and was home before 3:00 pm.

It was a very easy surgery.....no problems at all.

I had a tubal done three years ago. When I first woke up, I was in a lot of pain - it felt like my tubes were in spasms. I was pretty miserable for about 4-5 hours and then I was absolutely fine after that. I took a walk with a friend the following day. My doctor said I could resume normal activity in three days and I did and was fine. I am thrilled that I had it done and definitely feel that it was one of the best decisions that I ever made.

I also recommend what a previous poster said about telling the anesthesiologist you want something for nausea before you wake up. That stuff knocks me out, but it's better than feeling sick and nauseous.

Good luck!

Erica

I can't help with the tubal question as I decided the best way to avoid any problems was to take my husband to the doctor and get HIS tubes taken care of. I highly recommend this option - I had no pain and no recovery time! :)}(

I am just kidding around - I hope nobody takes offence. I know how scary surgery can be. My mother had her tubes tied and had a very easy recovery and this was 29 years ago. She only had a couple of small incisions - belly button and behind.

Take it easy and make other people do everything for you until you feel like getting back at it. Listen to your body. Hope you feel better fast :)

Hey Kel,

I had my tubal done right after the birth of my son back in 2005. It was an emergency C-Section. I did have trouble healing afterwords. My body kept sending plasma to the incision area therefore making it come out of the incision(kept leaking out) the doctor said that the the incison needed to heal from the inside out! so for about three wks i had home nurses come out to insert saline drenched galls(sp)into the 'hole' once a day...then my husband took over after that! It healed nicely though! It wasn't painful at all,just agravating!

and I hope I explained that right,Im sure the doc said it was plasma(pink liquid).

plus,i didn't exactly 'take it easy' as the doctor ordered! So that may be the reason for all the problems i had!

please,just lay in bed afterwords and let your body heal:)

BTW-It was so worth it!;-) just not having to worry about b-control is great.

Kel-

I had a tubal ligation in 1994 on a Friday. By Monday I was fine.

My biggest fear was that it wouldn't take. My doc' cut out a section of each tube and then tied off each end. I have know of people (in my family) who just had them (their fallopian tubes) clamped off and ended up with a *little* surprise.

[font color=lime green][font size +3]Judy "Likes2bfit"

***Eat Food. Not too Much. Mostly plants. Michael Pollan[/font]

http://img109.mytextgraphics.com/myrainbowtext/2008/01/24/c07d67f3a8d2bfed065f377ce1494b6c.gif

Thanks everyone - Sorry I'm just now replying but I just don't have much time to post during the weekends.

My tubal is scheduled for a Wednesday & I'll need to stay out of work until at least Monday & maybe Wednesday if I don't feel up to going back yet. She doesn't do the surgery where a portion of the tubes are cut out completely. All she does is the kind where the tubes are pulled into a little loop & a ring is placed tightly around them, cutting them off from the ovaries. In time, the end result will be the same & a section of each tube will actually be gone but I asked if they did the other because I know I'd feel a lot more secure but they don't even offer it. So now I'm a bit nervous about the outcome because we really don't want any surprises. Coradora, no offense... in fact, I got a big kick out of your response! Oh & for those who mentioned pain from the gas, my doc did tell me that this would probably be the worst part of the whole procedure.

Thanks again to everyone who responded. I feel a lot better knowing I'm not alone.:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.