A horror story with a happy ending

RE: Fat Calipers

>> P.S. My husband's comment about the body fat percentage is, "If your body is 80% water, how can you be 29% fat?>>>

LOVE that!!

RE: Fat Calipers

Gretchen, it may ease your mind if you,too, got a second opinion. I noticed that the Bally's guy did not take his measurements in the same spots as the gal did on Saturday. She used more professional calipers, too. To me it would be worth it to seek out another opinion at a different place. I'm very glad I did, needless to say.

Honeybunch wrote: "They then tried to sell me a personal training package for an ungodly sum to solve my "problem" with excess weight and high body fat."

THIS ABOUT SAYS IT ALL!

This is exactly why I've never joined a gym and never will.

They are sales people first, fitness trainers second.

SO GLAD it worked out for you honeybunch!

marnie

Hello honeybunch and everybody. Honeybunch I'm glad you shared this experience because now we all can be cautious the next time we have our body fat measured. But it saddens me that you were down a bit because of your experience. Anyways I was reading this today and I thought I should share it with everybody http://thriveonline.oxygen.com/fitness/experts/martica/martica.08-29-01.html The author mentions two unconventional ways to measure body fat (i.e. hydrostatic weighing and the dry test). I've never had any of them done. I wonder if anybody in this forum has had their body fat measured using either one of these methods.

Consumer Fraud

Hi Honeybunch,

The stunt pulled by Bally's is illegal, consumer fraud. They are a nationwide chain (& they just bought the Crunch studios), so a little effort on your part might help a lot of clients. Your state Department of Consumer Affairs should be notified along with the local Better Business Bureau. If any of the local tv stations have a consumer watch/scam reporter, I'm sure they'd like to hear your story. Ditto with a local paper. The media is probably preparing some features for the January fitness wave & a little buyer beware story could pique their interest.

I wonder how Bally's was going to handle you. I'm sure you were going to get a much lower body fat reading after a few months of their supplements. But it seems that it would be tough to sell if your jeans fit the same.

It's too bad most trainers & gyms make their money from products rather than services. But there's always a market for a magic pill or diet.

Thanks for the lesson. And I hope you got get them.
Debra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.