A big Hug and and Thanks to Cathe and her Team.

cocob1

Cathlete
I tore my supraspunatus tendon last spring and had surgery last May to repair the tendon, remove a bone spur and debraid (sp?) my labrum. I sat in a mechanical chair for 6 weeks and had to wear a sling for 6 weeks. I couldn't start hands on PT until July 1st. I was given the ok to do any exercise by my PT August 1st and that's when I restarted STS but with 1#,2#,3# & 5# DB's and only a 10# barbell. I used to do 60# BB and up to 22# DB. I was starting all over. I finished a STS 3 1/2 month rotation in mid October with up to 12# DB and 30# BB. I now run 3 miles 3x a week. Today my PT asked if I could do some push ups leaning on a wall. I said I can do more than that! I did 20 reps of on my toes full push ups. He was astounded. Oh yea. I'm 56 years old. Thanks Cathe for helping me stay healthy and strong and for teaching me how to work and stay focused even after the disappointment of rehab and starting all over.:D
Love,
Colleen

Not Cathe, but I find your story very inspirational! Congratulations on getting right back on the wagon after what sounds like a very grueling surgery and recovery! I'm impressed by your motivation to get back to where you were before your injury.

I'm with you in giving credit to Cathe and her knowledge and what she shares with us through her workouts and website! Without her, I, too, wouldn't be in the shape I'm in! You're way ahead of me still! I can't do pushups on my toes yet!

I wish I could have seen your physical therapists face when you knocked out that 20!

Good for you! Congratulations again!

Awesome Colleen!!

I had the same surgery in 2006 after tearing my supraspinatus tendon off the bone. Had the chair, sling and long rehab so I can completely relate to what you've been through.

Congrats!:D

Real strength is being able to do what Sheri says at the bottom of her post! Break a chocolate bar into pieces and eat just one! LOL. That's hilarious.

Hey Ninja Mom. Hugs to you too. Wasn't the chair torture? How are you doing now?

I'd say I'm back to 85% of where I was strength wise after 4 months. I have trouble with any fast arm movements above shoulder level so I have to modify my step/kick box workouts which I know will heal over time. I ended up with a bit of frozen shoulder after the chair so I'm still working rehab on that but the tear is healed. Yea.
STS was amazing even using tiny amounts of weight. I logged everything and only raised weight by 5% when told to. Love those weighted gloves. They really helped. . I did my PT exercises on top of STS and I used Cardio Coach for inspiration on my walks, adding in running gradually over time.
I finished Cathe's October rotation with running subbing for her cardio and I started doing her December rotation. I'm doing her circuits with arm modifications because it's really cold here in Minnesota. When the wind is 20 miles per hour and it's 4 degrees without wind chill I wimp out ;) and go indoors.

But STS rocks. I did the push up modifications starting with the ones that look like you're kneeling over to kiss the carpet, then a few on my knees ... then on my toes.
I guess what I'm trying to say is STS works even without super heavy weights. It worked with little or no weight and I got stronger.
Colleen

Hi, Colleen.
You are inspirational!

A suggestion: since Cathe rarely visits the Open Forum, you might think about reposting this in the "Ask Cathe" forum. I'm sure she'd love to read your post!

Thanks Kathyrn. I cut and pasted my post and put it on the Ask Cathe thread.
I had to let her know how grateful I am for her workouts. I know I wouldn't be where I am today without them.
Colleen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.