$8,365!! Need help justifying the the RT?

TexasLaura

Cathlete
ENABLER ALERT!!!!

$8,365; Anyone still debating a Road Trip?

This ought to help you "off the fence". (I'm actually bringing this up again--I posted it twice over the past year but thought it might help someone convince a significant other, or herself, that the expense is worth it)

For those of us who stress about all the Cathe (and other) workouts and equipment that we purchase, keep this in mind; according to a recent study released by George Washington University, the ANNUAL cost of obesity is $8,365! That's PER YEAR!

$8,365 dollars per year!!

That can get you to the Chicago RT, the new series, AND have plenty left over!! (and next year you can start over!)

(I'm talking to YOU-Tequila and Jenn D.!!)

Stay healthy, my friends!

Aww...ok, let's see what I can do. I want to go so bad, but this one might be hard to swing!!!

You are too funny, Laura...

Lol. Ok Laura, I'm showing that to DH, lol (my hints obviously aren't working :confused: ).

Jenn, it would be great to see you, too! Let's see what we can do!

kikster (tequila), hey girl, I would love to go to Chicago. I got the OK for Glassboro, but am afraid to push for Chicago. Hard to leave 4 children for a whole weekend with my husband (some guilt). But I will check flight prices, just in case.

Sounds like some of the Disney crew are going to Chicago...would love to see everyone and workout together again. Fingers crossed...but not sure I can swing it! Good luck to you....

jdimascio said:
kikster (tequila), hey girl, I would love to go to Chicago. I got the OK for Glassboro, but am afraid to push for Chicago. Hard to leave 4 children for a whole weekend with my husband (some guilt). But I will check flight prices, just in case.

Sounds like some of the Disney crew are going to Chicago...would love to see everyone and workout together again. Fingers crossed...but not sure I can swing it! Good luck to you....

Hope you can make it, Jenn!

ENABLER ALERT!!!!

$8,365; Anyone still debating a Road Trip?

This ought to help you "off the fence". (I'm actually bringing this up again--I posted it twice over the past year but thought it might help someone convince a significant other, or herself, that the expense is worth it)

For those of us who stress about all the Cathe (and other) workouts and equipment that we purchase, keep this in mind; according to a recent study released by George Washington University, the ANNUAL cost of obesity is $8,365! That's PER YEAR!

$8,365 dollars per year!!

That can get you to the Chicago RT, the new series, AND have plenty left over!! (and next year you can start over!)

(I'm talking to YOU-Tequila and Jenn D.!!)

Stay healthy, my friends!

What does this price tag mean, exactly? How was this figure reached?

But really, in this economy, people need to think hard and long about their own personal finances, upcoming family expenses, to see whether they can justify the cost of this for just one weekend.

It might be a fun trip, but enabling someone with financial hardship is not a helpful thing to do. If you can afford it, I am happy for you. Personally, I find this kind of post somewhat reckless.

I can't afford that much for a single weekend. I am unemployed again, with two kids to put through college soon. I will continue to enjoy my DVDs and stay clear of obesity without the unnecessary expense of this road trip.

Clare

jdimascio said:
Thanks, Sherry! I know 2 trips is pushing it for me...but it would be AWESOME!! Otherwise, I should be happy that I can make it to Glassboro (hopefully, I get in).

I am hoping I can make it to Glassboro, too: will be my first trip there and I'd love to see where the workouts are filmed and to meet the cast. I will be ready at 10:00 am next Wednesday: thank goodness for auto-fill! :)

But really, in this economy, people need to think hard and long about their own personal finances, upcoming family expenses, to see whether they can justify the cost of this for just one weekend.

It might be a fun trip, but enabling someone with financial hardship is not a helpful thing to do. If you can afford it, I am happy for you. Personally, I find this kind of post somewhat reckless.

I can't afford that much for a single weekend. I am unemployed again, with two kids to put through college soon. I will continue to enjoy my DVDs and stay clear of obesity without the unnecessary expense of this road trip.

Clare

Very true, but I don't think Laura was trying to say forget about all of this. We met at an RT and had a wonderful time, and have stayed in touch ever since. I have met plenty of woman on these trips that will forever be my friends. But I live about an hour from Glassboro, so that just makes more sense for me (financially, yes, but also leaving 4 children with my husband is not the easiest thing to do). I know a lot of people going to Chicago, and I will miss them all. So, Laura, who already knows that I may still consider Chicago posted this. I find no harm in this post, I think it's sweet...I would love to spend a weekend with these wonderful woman, and especially Laura...she is an absolute hoot!!! So if I can't do this one...I will find a future one where both of us can attend!!

jdimascio said:

Jenn, I'm in the same boat. He's all for NJ (we're on the east coast, so it not a far drive)..but CHI on such short notice might be a stretch, LOL. Plus, he just announced that he was considering going to TX to visit some family around the same time, (but was trying checking w/ family to see when was best for them) a couple days before the RT date was announced. With everything up in the air, I don't know if the days will overlap, or just be too close together to even be cause for me to persist on it.

If not, I hope we both make it to NJ :)

To MadnNatsmom: This was a real study that came out last year and it averaged the cost of medications and hospitalizations associated with obesity-related illnessed such as Type 2 Diabetes, hypertension and coronary artery disease over the years. Therefore, in the early years of a person's obesity the cost would be minimal, and as the years go on the cost would increase significantly each year. Of course the data is somewhat "soft", as there is no way to precisely determine exactly what is directly related to obesity alone and not to other poor health habits, heredity and environmental factors but it is a solid, reliable, reproducible study that gives a good general idea of what obesity is costing us financially. I found it interesting and thought others might, as well.

WOW! Maddiesmum. A lot of "hating" there.

Jenn is exactly right; I mean no harm and I certainly am not trying to coerce people who can't afford it or who don't find it worth the money. I should hope that everyone knows what they can and cannot do at any point in time and would not feel coerced by a stranger on the internet.

If you read my post in the "right" frame of mind; it was written (I thought) a bit "tongue-in-cheek". I meant it in good fun. Jenn and I (and several others) became friends on the forums last year and were lucky enough to meet at Disney. They are wonderful women and I was merely hoping to see them again.

I know that, although I can afford to purchase Cathe's workouts and attend the occasional road trip, I still feel guilty spending money on myself. I used to feel that I was being selfish by spending that money on me (and not on something for the whole family). Recently a couple of things happened that changed my mind.

1st: my mother had a stroke (related to her obesity, diabetes, sedentary lifestyle and post-op complications) and, as a result, was unable to do things with her grandchildren anymore. She was miserable in this state until she died.

2nd: My husband and I made a promise to each other that we will stay as healthy and fit as we possibly can so that we can be around for our children and our grandchildren and so that we can be active participants in their lives.

3rd: At Disney-Cathe was meeting my family and she thanked my boys for allowing me to work out with her instead of spending time in the parks with them (something I was feeling terribly guilty about). My 12 year old replied to Cathe, "It's OK. We will let my Mom work out with you anytime. Even though we miss her for a little while, we like it because it makes her so happy."
(I am a more pleasant, less stressed, healthier and therefore better mother and wife when I am working out....and road trips make me happy and give me re-newed vigor to work-out for months!)

4th: the study. It is just a fun little factoid to remind myself that I can pay a little now to stay healthy, or I can pay A LOT in the future to try to fix what will be too late to undo.

Jenn gets it. I love her and I want to see her again, and if this number helps her or other Cathletes to feel less guilty about spending money on themselves (which, really, is an investment in your family's future as much as your own), then that was my sole intention. I apologize to you and anyone else who feels I am being "reckless".

Last edited:
TexasLaura said:
WOW! Maddiesmum. A lot of "hating" there.

Jenn is exactly right; I mean no harm and I certainly am not trying to coerce people who can't afford it or who don't find it worth the money. I should hope that everyone knows what they can and cannot do at any point in time and would not feel coerced by a stranger on the internet.

If you read my post in the "right" frame of mind; it was written (I thought) a bit "tongue-in-cheek". I meant it in good fun. Jenn and I (and several others) became friends on the forums last year and were lucky enough to meet at Disney. They are wonderful women and I was merely hoping to see them again.

I know that, although I can afford to purchase Cathe's workouts and attend the occasional road trip, I still feel guilty spending money on myself. I used to feel that I was being selfish by spending that money on me (and not on something for the whole family). Recently a couple of things happened that changed my mind.

1st: my mother had a stroke (related to her obesity, diabetes, sedentary lifestyle and post-op complications) and, as a result, was unable to do things with her grandchildren anymore. She was miserable in this state until she died.

2nd: My husband and I made a promise to each other that we will stay as healthy and fit as we possibly can so that we can be around for our children and our grandchildren and so that we can be active participants in their lives.

3rd: At Disney-Cathe was meeting my family and she thanked my boys for allowing me to work out with her instead of spending time in the parks with them (something I was feeling terribly guilty about). My 12 year old replied to Cathe, "It's OK. We will let my Mom work out with you anytime. Even though we miss her for a little while, we like it because it makes her so happy."
(I am a more pleasant, less stressed, healthier and therefore better mother and wife when I am working out....and road trips make me happy and give me re-newed vigor to work-out for months!)

4th: the study. It is just a fun little factoid to remind myself that I can pay a little now to stay healthy, or I can pay A LOT in the future to try to fix what will be too late to undo.

Jenn gets it. I love her and I want to see her again, and if this number helps her or other Cathletes to feel less guilty about spending money on themselves (which, really, is an investment in your family's future as much as your own), then that was my sole intention. I apologize to you and anyone else who feels I am being "reckless".

Well said, Laura. Very powerful message. I'm so sorry to hear about your mother's stroke and passing: that could not have been easy to see her unhappy in that state.

I also felt guilty about wanting to go on two road trips this year, but I figure that since Disney made me so happy last year and renewed my enthusiasm for fitness, I look at it as an investment as much as a vacation.

Plus, I met great people like you and Jenn as well, and if I make some hopefully lifelong friends from these road trips, they are more than worth the expense.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.