60 year old exercisers

scline3

I just recently turned 60 years old and I do some of Cathe's workouts such as Low Max and some of her lower intensity DVD's. I notice as I age my endurance level has decreased and it becomes alot harder to lose weight. I was wondering how many other Cathe's fans who are 60 and above are able to do her DVD's and which ones are your preference and how do you handle the losing weight situation?

Sal

Sal,

I'm not 60 yet, but very close to being there. I find that a lot of people my age do not exercise this way at all, if at all. So you may not get a lot of replies. I sure do hope I'm wrong though.

I've lately have been feeling less energetic for some reason. Perhaps age is catching up with me, I don't know. Losing weight is next to impossible, but will never give it up. It is a struggle I will continue to do for the rest of my life. It's something I have to do, so I don't sit around like my sisters, unhealthy and unhappy.

I love all the intermediate to advance workouts. Most of the advanced workout I still can't do all the way through or without modifying. But thats OK, just do the best you can without hurting yourself, and modify, modify, modify. I love Cathe's workouts, any of them.

Exercising makes me stay on top of things. I need that.

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible

www.picturetrail.com/janiejoey

0607_10008295321.gif

I turned 60 back in November and find myself in a similar situation with lower energy and difficulty with weight loss. My problem is that I was on a Cathe high for a couple years, when I was 56-58--doing everything at high intensity with a lot of jumping and really pushing the weights. THEN my left knee just started to give me so much pain that I kept lowering my effort level, I gained about 15 pounds, and finally went to an orthopedic surgeon. I have had luck with cortisone shots about every 2-3 months, and I have been doing all of my Cathes, but with a lot of modifications, a lower step and lower weights on the leg exercises. I finally went back up to 6 inches on my step about a month ago, and I have also lost about 7 pounds on the South Beach Diet, although currently I seem to have plateaued and am feeling very frustrated. I also have been introducing some less intense cardio workouts--Gay Gasper's Step Infusion is really good and I love the music; Kathy Smith's walking workout and her matrix workout, and Petra Kolber's PK Step. I also just bought Squeeze, which looks like I can do, and the Dancing with The Stars DVD. On Cathe's new series, I do a lot of the shorter premixes, and I do Drill Max, but with a lot of modifications (e.g., I substitute the drill with the big ball for the agility drill, which uses way too much room for me anyway, and I squat instead of doing plyometrics).

Hey guys... Come on over to the "50 and Over" check-in.. we are always looking for more participation over there and we discuss anything you want!

Deb;-)

Hi Ladies,

I'm not 60, but my mom is and she works out like a mad woman. Sometimes 2-3 hours a day (strength, yoga, cardio). Although she loves high impact step, she doesn't do a lot of it. She recently discovered spinning and it is her new love. Because there isn't any pounding on the joints, she is able to do a lot of it and she finds that it really helps her keep weight off and stay cardiovascularly fit.

Congrats on being so active! !

Hi Ladies,

I'm not 60, but my mom is and she works out like a mad woman. Sometimes 2-3 hours a day (strength, yoga, cardio). Although she loves high impact step, she doesn't do a lot of it. She recently discovered spinning and it is her new love. Because there isn't any pounding on the joints, she is able to do a lot of it and she finds that it really helps her keep weight off and stay cardiovascularly fit.

Congrats on being so active! !

>Hey guys... Come on over to the "50 and Over" check-in.. we
>are always looking for more participation over there and we
>discuss anything you want!
>
>Deb;-)

I second the motion. Come join the "50 and Over" check-in.

Regards,

Rhonda

Where is the "50 and Over"? I would like to check-in, but don't know where it is?

I'm not quite 50, yet (44)......would like to "prep" myself!

Heather :)

Down at the bottom of the forum us a drop down list and at the bottom of this is the "Check-in and Challenges" forum.. that's where you can find a check in for anything! You need to "check it out"! LOL

Deb:)

Doesn't Cathe teach a seniors class? I am very curious as to what this class is like. Maybe we could convince her to release a seniors DVD. I too am having endurance problems with cardio. I have had to lower both the intensity and the length. Have begun to rely more on long walks and really like circuit workouts.

Does 55 count? I have every Cathe DVD, and do them regularly. Now, sometimes what I'm doing bears very little resemblance to what's going on on my TV screen, mind you. I modify like crazy to accomodate bad knees - no risers under my step, no ricochets (or any extremely high-impact moves), no twirling/pivots (more because I'm a klutz, get dizzy, and work out on carpet than because of age), but I keep moving and get a great workout every time.

61 here. Been doing Cathe since the late eighties with her first video. After years of using 8" for all her tapes, due to knee/back issues I use no risers and modify modify modify and still get my heartrate up. Years ago I just couldn't bring myself to modify, and felt I had to follow exactly, but times have changed, and I am grateful I can do what I do. maryann

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.