6 Month STS Almni Jan 31-Feb 6

cendrine

Cathlete
Hi Girls,

I'm just starting us up. Nothing much to report, I'm taking it easy today. What are you all up to today?

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to let you know I'm back! I'm really tired and need to get some laundry done, etc. so will catch up later. It was fun; had a great time with family and am happy to be home to sleep in my own bed!

Sorry about the MIA yesterday...I do not know if yall know too much about satellite internet but you have a limit to how much you get basically...and DH exceeded that so yesterday it was super slow and I am not that patient...

I have to leave early this morning so no time for the p90x yoga I had intended but it is a rest week so I think it will be alright. I have been lucky on these days that I have had to go to work early that they just so happened to fall on days I didn't have a real work out scheduled...

We demo'ed our porch yesterday and are starting framing on Wednesday and if all goes smooth...:eek:...we should have the mud room dried in by the weekend. Of course there is wait time on the door and windows but we will be able to do lots of the other stuff until that gets here.

Jo- I am glad you are back and can not wait to hear all about your trip.

Cendrine-How did you end up filling your day?

Kim-How was the weekend? Did the weather ever clear?

Mary-Did you win the soup cook off and are there any recipes we can't or shouldn't live without?

Ok yall
I am off to fuel and get to work...Then hardware store!

Have a great day!

Rachel

Hi Again!

I did Step Moves this morning! It felt so good to workout!

The wedding was great! My new niece is part Cherokee (I think Grandmother is full blooded) so they did a Cherokee blessing at the beginning of the ceremony. It was said in Cherokee and then someone translated it. The food was awesome at the reception. The entree choices were prime rib or lobster macaroni. We had ordered one of each not knowing what the lobster macaroni was. As it turned out it the macaroni was in this wonderful sauce with a full lobster tail sitting on top of it! The prime rib was awesome too! I'm not really a macaroni person anyway so DH ate 90% of that and I had ate prime rib. Oh and the appetizers were decadent! (I sampled everything but didn't eat a lot of anything!) They made these aspargus spears that were two spears wrapped in bacon and cheese and breaded. OH MY GOODNESS! And, first time this has ever happened to me....you know how mom's are always crying? Well, I'm sitting there in the ceremony, minded my own business, waiting for it to get started...I turned around and saw my nephew and just got OVERWHELMED with emotion! It was all I could do not to burst out blubbering! WHERE DID THAT COME FROM? But, my sweet baby nephew is going off to be a man!!! LOL!

Last thing...so my other little nephews who are 8 and 9, we are all staying at mom's house...so we're playing with them and doing acrobatics. They would say Aunt Jo can you do this and I'd do it and they were amazed, etc. Well I said let's see if DH can do this and that...and he could. Then DH decides to wow them with a one-handed pushup and we heard this loud pop! DH tore his shoulder! He just called me as he had to go to Dr. this morning. MRI tomorrow but will require surgery. The shoulder was already a little messed up and he just tore it the rest of the way!

Okay, back to work. Check in with you all later!

Oh man Jo...Isn't that always the way...You think you are just playing around and something majorly bad happens...I hate that for your DH! How long will it take for recovery , I wonder.
When I was pretty young , I was arm wrestling with one of my brothers friends and he told me to go ahead an use two hands ...well I guess I was tougher than I looked because something popped in his elbow! I forget what the outcome was of that but I do not think it was surgery. Man that's weird I forgot that until you said something about your dh.

Well we are about to be off to the hardware store...I am suffering from an allergy attack so right now all I want is a shower and pj's but I need to work through it!

I hope all is well for everyone!

Jo-Those asparagus thingies sound great and the lobster mac...and I don't eat lobster. I know what you mean about getting emotional...I am so not that way but in the years to come when my only niece gets married , I will probably need a box of kleenex just to get to the church!

Better go!

Rachel

Oh no, Jo, that is terrible about dh's shoulder! And surgery too! I am so sorry that happened! What a drag!

I am glad you had a good time at the wedding, though! I have become 'close to the water' as a saying in German goes, meaning, I cry more easily, since having kids. Weddings always do it to me these days, doesn't even have to be anyone I know well...

Rachel, you sound like you are making great progress on the mudroom, how exciting! Sorry about your allergies, sometimes I get hit by them out of the blue too!

I upped my weights a little today in my workout and feel good, so I think the slow approach is working so far. I'm going to stay at the new increase of weights for the next couple of weeks if I can be that patient and then up it again after that. Slow but steady, that's what I hear myself chanting to myself all the time these dasy....LOL!

Hi Kim and Mary!

So sorry to hear about DH's shoulder! Ouch! Was it a ligament tear??

Yesterday we went house hunting. We're just playing with the idea of buying a new house and DH decided to go looking yesterday. I'm really not sure if we'll go ahead with anything but it was fun looking. We might go look at one more tonight.

Hi Again! I'm so glad to be back home and back to my routine!

Cendrine, good girl on slow and steady! I'm so glad to hear how you're progressing. I'm glad I'm not the only one that's weepy! LOL! And my little nephews...I almost choked up when I had to leave them too and I barely know those 2!

Rachel, oh you poor thing on allergies! You're not supposed to be having allergy issues today! Maybe that's an early sign of spring! Oh well, I know you can be allergic to all kinds of things! Hope you're better tonight! Sounds like you're cooking with gas on the mud room!

Kim, well good luck on the house hunt if you end up getting serious about it! Even if you don't, it's always fun to at least see what's out there. If nothing else, you may get some good ideas for your house! I don't know if DH tore ligaments or what...he's not sure either but we'll know after the MRI. He has that tomorrow and then sees the Dr again on Thursday.

Last night DH marinated some meat for jerky. So we just put it in the dehydrator a little while ago. I love trying all these new things in the dehydrator!

I have no idea what I'm going to do for a workout tomorrow. Probably that Shock Circuit workout I missed on Friday. I decided to use this week to do the rest of the workouts I hadn't done yet - that Circuit one, Athletic Step and thought I'd try the Travel workout.

Talk to you all tomorrow!

I just wanted to pop in to get us back on the front page...Are we being solicited??:rolleyes:

We are busy busy today with mud room prep but I will bbl to really talk!

Rachel

Hi Guys,

I did cardio with light weights today. Still doing good, I think!

Kim, I am having a hard time with my eating these past three days!:eek: How are you doing?

Jo, I hope the jerkey turns out great! I am thinking of dehydrating some greek yoghurt mixed with fruit and agave to make sort of like a fruit leather but with yoghurt in it. I think the kids would like that a lot!

Rachel, we have had a couple of odd posts from unfamiliar posters before...Not sure what that is about....

Hi Everyone!

I did Circuit Blast this morning. Interesting workout! Again, I always hate the first time through as I'm not dialed into the moves...but I did get a good workout! Of all the STS Cardio I've done this one was "ok" but not a favorite but with that said, I think Step Moves was a hard act to follow! :D I'll probably get more into it next time.

The jerky was done this morning as DH had already taken it out and put it away before I got up so I didn't get to look at it yet.

Kim, besides TBL, I'm also a LOST fan so I may have to watch TBL on another channel when it replays this weekend. It replays on the Food Network Channel 3 or 4 times over the weekend. Or after tonight I'll find out which one I can watch again online. I can't believe they're on at the same time! LOST has always been on Wednesdays!

Cendrine, I'm so glad to hear how your improving with your weights. Are you using a DVD or doing your own thing?

Rachel, can't wait to hear more about the mud room!

Hello Mary if you're out there!

Yes, solicited...dear poster, I stopped wearing watches years ago so no taker here!

Last edited:
Ok I am back...I have not been feeling too good today. I thought yesterday was an allergy attack but now I am thinking I might have a cold or something. I sneezed so much yesterday that it feels like I burnt the roof of my mouth...It is terrible. I am sore all over from it. I am not sneezing today but I feel foggy, if you know what I mean.

Today I did the p90 yoga and I did the CRANE...I could not hold it for the minute but I did really well. I think I am really building some upper body strength.
Today we also got our vibram five finger shoes in...I am so excited to try them on something but I am not sure what yet. But I will certainly let you know how they turn out for me.

Jo-What did you end up doing today for the work out? and was DH MRI today? If so how did that go? I still can't get over that. It's really stinks!

Kim-I think this is the first we have heard about a possible move. Are yall staying in the same town? Do you have a certain reason that you are thinking about moving or just want to change addresses?:D For me, I am not much fond of moving. I will probably live here for the rest of my life.

Cendrine-I was going to ask what you were using as workouts these days?
I have not been doing well on my eating at all. This always happens when I am at home even if I am busy , I find time to snack!:eek: I know this is weird but I also eat a lot during these allergy attacks. It seems like when you are eating everything stops so it is the only time that I am not miserable.

Well I better see if I can be any help to dh. With the chill I have I just am not too thrilled about being outside but I am bundled up. Hope all is well!

Rachel

I still have to vacuum and mop, and then it's nothing until dinner. I love those days when everything is easy!

LOL, Jo, I haven't worn a watch in ages either!:D

Jo and Rachel, I'm doing workouts I did when I first got serious about home workouts. The dvds are fairly easy, Firm if you ever have done any of those. It's funny, because I keep doing the reps and think oh boy, this is going to be tough, and then the reps are over....LOL I used to think 12 reps was high rep count, but with Cathes 16 reps, then pulses and half ones and then some more, I realize I had gotten used to quite some high rep counts without realizing it! LOL! But I am sticking with these because they keep me from over doing it which is my main concern right now. This way I can up the weights without getting surprised by cathe extras...LOL But it will be fun to get back to her workouts! Just today several of the segments were completed with the instructor saying ' that was tough' and I'm thinking ' actually , it wasn't'. That is encouraging me because it means I am still in better shape than I thought after my break. Anyway, just rambling now. Rachel, take care of yourself! I hope you get better soon!

I have to admit I haven't worked out on my week off yet:eek: But I think I'll get going on Meso 2 tomorrow or Thursday. I feel ready after have 4 days completely off and I want to make sure I'm done the rotation by the kid's spring break.

Rachael Hope you're feeling better! What are you allergic to? Let us know how you like the shoes, they look interesting. It's still very cold here, but nothing unusual for January on the Canadian prairies.

Jo Sounds like it was beautiful wedding! I cry all the time constantly now since I've had kids. I love Cendrine's saying "close to the water". Is DH in much pain? So much good tv tonight, I won't give any TBL secrets away.

Cendrine I admit it I'm been not so good with the eating. Thanks for checking with me, it does help me stay with it. Isn't it neat to see how far you've come with your workouts?? Are you getting any back pain anymore?

About the house hunting. We got married 19 years ago, lived in an apartment for 2 years and then bought this house. We were only 23 years old when we bought this home. It's on the smaller size 1050 sq feet with no garage but the basement is finished. We had always attended to move to a bigger house but never did. This is a nice area, the house is good just on the small size, schools are good. We are just finished our mortgage:D:D and DH is thinking that property is such a good investment right now that maybe we should go ahead and move to a larger home. I would love a garage and larger kitchen. The kids aren't sure if they want to change schools though. We live in a good size city (650,000) but most of the new development is on the other end and we don't want a long commute to work. Not a lot of new homes being built in our end of town so lots to think about. We looked at lots of show homes again last night. Now I think we need to think things though for a few days. Well DH, will think things though, he is quite the businessman and does things slowly and methodical, I would just jump into a new home. Seems like fun to me.;)

Rachel and Kim, it helps so much to be transparent with you guys and know that you are having to work on it too! I'll be thinking of you two all day tomorrow and hopefully it will help me do better.

House hunting is quite an adventure! We've played with the idea ourselves a couple of times, but it always seemed like too much trouble and not necessary, so we've stayed put, and it is nice, like you Kim, our payments are almost all finished which is really nice! Dh's parents want us to move to Seattle to take care of them (they are in their mid 80s) and they have property they want dh to start managing so they don't have to anymore. I have a really hard time getting used to that thought for many reasons. (the only highlight would be that I could get together with you, Jo, for some likeminded girl time....:D) The weather would take getting used to, the traffic to me is very different from down here, I would have to depend on my navigator all the time, we would have to start from scratch with friends and all that, so it seems a lot more logical to me for them to come down here, but of course they are about as thrilled about that idea as I am about theirs....:confused: So I guess nothing is going to happen in the near future here....
If you do move, I hope you get a great kitchen! It is so fun to have a big kitchen! I had to deal with small kitchens a lot and love and appreciate my current one that much more, I also love my kitchen island, never had one of those before. A garage would be a nice plus for you guys, especially where you are where the place gets so cold! Maybe if you guys are lucky you'll find something in the area, so you can keep the kids at the same school. That would be nice.

Good Morning Yall!

Well it was another morning of no real work out to speak of. I tried the p90 stretch...I gues it was alright but I like Cathe's flowing stretching better but I do not have those...That might be what I am going to invest in in the future. That is after we get done with all our projects. I will not be spending anything extra for a while. I know this is silly because we saved up to do this addition...but when money starts flying out the window , I start getting nervous and pinching pennies any where I can. I guess it is because I grew up in a family that lived week to week and I never want to be that way.

Today is the frame up day. My brother will be here at eight. Dh is at the hardware store getting some last minute things that he forgot. It should be an interesting day. I am keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes smooth for them.

Kim-1050 is a small space for a family of 4. But at least it keeps the family close together...I think you have said this before but is your work out space in your basement?
The idea of a more modern kitchen is the only thing that would make me want to move. I can not go in the hardware store and pass the books with kitchen design without looking at them and dreaming of an update.:D It is nice though that your house is paid for. But you dh is right about the market being a good time to buy. Boy so much to consider.

Cendrine-I am glad too that I am not the only one that is struggling. I am really having a hard time with it this week especially. I am telling you that not a day has gone by this week that I did not say out loud..."If there were cookies in this house, I would pig out on them!" I have almost made some but I am refraining...It is just not safe:D
I am glad your workouts are coming along and you are happy with your progress. I actually read a very positive post the other day on the shock cardio forum about exercise not being all about the intensity but it being about the fun and the movement. I think this was in response to some of the negative feedback that had been posted. But it made me think about my work outs a little differently.

Jo- How is DH? I never did think to ask if he was really upset about the injury. You know if that happened to me I probably would go into a funk like you wouldn't believe.
I am a total LOST fan too. We dvr ours and watch it on another day so we can skip the commercials...so don't tell me anything because I have yet to see it. :eek: But I am very excited. My bf here is a big fan too but they watch it the night it comes on and it really urks her that she has to wait to talk to me about it!

OK I am off to disinfect the house. I am feeling better but still not 100%. I am so glad this came on the recovery week although I had every intention of doing cardio this week.:eek:
Oh maybe tomorrow I can try out the shoes with a little kick max!

TTYL
Rachel

Hey yall

Just checkin in again...I made hamburgers and home made double fried french fries for the guys for lunch and a really spicy refried bean soup for me...It was really warming...Of course I snuck a couple of those fries too...Couldn't help myself.

They have all the walls framed and now they are starting to build. Rain is coming tonight so I am hoping they can get the roof back together:eek:

Cendrine-I really popped in cause I was looking at recipes on line and got to wondering what if anything you would use as a sub for condensed soups in recipes. I am not a big fan of those but sometimes come across an interesting soup recipe that calls for them. Do you have a remedy for that or do you just skip those recipes too?

Well I better make myself available...:D

Hope everyone is still havin' a great day!

Rachel

Hi girls,

not much to report, workout is done, I haven't pigged out on anything today so far....LOL! Although Rachel, if I made fries, you bet I would have some too!

I'm glad everything is coming along nicely for the project, Rachel, I bet your are all eager to start making it yours!
The condensed soup thing... I haven't used condensed soup in a long while. I'm not sure what I would use instead. I guess it depends on what the recipe is for. If it was for flavor, I might just add my own seasonings. For texture I would probably either just use soup as is, preferrably a healthy version, or possibly thicken whatever it is with some flour or ground flax seed or something... I'm not sure that that is too helpful... what recipe were you looking at?

Hi Everyone,
Lots going on today so haven't had much time to get online. I had to be at work early so didn't work out yet (may not get it done today!)

Anyway, DH had follow-up with Dr today and he's having surgery on Monday. Rotator cuff is in bad shape. Dr said it will have to be repaired in about 4 places. I only talked to DH for a few minutes so don't have all the details. But, his shoulder was already messed up (for about 10 years) and when he saw a different Dr before he had said there wasn't anything wrong. This Dr said clearly his cuff was already torn and he just mangled it the other night!!!

I'll be back later. Can you believe it!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.