5oth anniversay ideas

wendygurl

Cathlete
My parents are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary soon. I wanted to do something special for them, but my budget isn't too huge:confused:
My brother has decent money, but he is of no help in planning.
Anyhoo, we were thinking cruise, but then you have to worry about the airfare etc..
Any ideas on something not horribly expensive but nice? They are in their early 70's. Please any help! thanks!

My folks celebrated their 50th a couple of years ago. My siblings & I arranged for a family photo session with a professional photographer as a gift. Easier said than done: there are five of us, all married, most with kids. It was chaotic, but fun, and my parents really appreciated the effort.

When we did my parents 50th money was tight for all. So what we did was have a reception for them at their church and they renewed their vows (we planned this all in secret). I ended up telling my mom shortly before because I knew she would want to have a new outfit for the occasion. As my parents were very family oriented, it meant more to them to have all family and friends there to share their day then to have gone off on a vacation. (At least that's what they said!)

My parents celebrated their 50th in January '08 and are also in their early 70's. My brother, sister and I all live out of town, away from each other and our parents and none of us could fly in to visit them (due to kids, jobs, etc.) and celebrate in person. But we set them up with dinner at their all-time favorite restaurant, with a limo ride, nice flowers at the table which they could take home, and I published a 12x12 photo book of the grandkids which we wrapped and then sent to the restaurant to be on the table when they arrived. We also spent extra to have the restaurant's best champagne ready and waiting, too. The restaurant staff was great; they know my parents as regulars and treated them quite well! My parents had never been in a limo before and absolutely loved it (we asked for a Lincoln Town Car, like an airport limo comfy for about 3 people, but all they had available that night was a Lincoln L stretch, room for about 10, which they gave to us for the price of the other!). I also sent a disposable camera so the limo driver and the restaurant staff could take pictures for us. All we told them to do that night was get dressed up for a really nice dinner and be ready by 6, which was when the limo showed up. We did spend a little more than we planned initially, but it was so much fun for them and they were all smiles in the pictures.

My parents celebrated their 35th (not as huge as 50!) last year, and we got them tickets to this cool dinner theater near us. My mom loved it, and my dad thought it was pretty fun too.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.