50 and over week of Jan 4 check-in

Hi Jann, Bev, Magnolia, Tina and Pauline,

I got my hour in on treadmill early Thursday. Two hours later my knees hurt so much even after ice packs I was ready to give up. Two advil didn't even help. I wouldn't check in then because I was going to be way too negative.
I tried to go a little faster than usual and I mean a little. The fastest I went was 3mph with no incline.

This evening knees are a little better. And I'm a little smarter. Back to alternating weights and cardio. I'll probably use tomorrow as a rest day.
Joan

Jann, I did Burn Circuit 1 and could have gone way heavier too. I wasn't sure because of the leg work how much weight I could use and keep my balance! Next time I'll go heavier. I don't mind the timer, but I don't like it that she doesn't count the reps!

Magnolia, CLX is Beach Body's "Chalean Extreme" (muscle burns fat program). It's a 90 day program in 3 phases: burn, push & lean.

Pauline, CLX Burn Intervals is like a bootcamp cardio and weights workout and Burn It Off is cardio only intervals. Both are more intense than I expected, but you can modify if you want. Christi's choreography is kind of hard to learn, but once you get it, you can do any of her DVD's. I don't do some of the turn's because I really want to avoid injury!

Joan, I will be doing STS after CLX. My DH usually lifts weights with me, and he refuses to even try Chalene, he only wants to do Cathe!!!

Bev

Good morning, everyone!

Jann, I'm sorry I did not answer your question the other day. Last night after we got home was my day's chance to check in, and I guess I was really tired. I love power walking, but it's tough to do that regularly in the wintertime here. I like step, too, though. My favorite cardios are Cathe's and sometimes I do The Firm workouts. What are your favorites?

Pauline, I bought that Zumba thing, too, and I didn't like it, either. I got rid of it pretty fast.

Don't know if I will get to work out today. I have to wait for a delivery and there is so much laundry from the trip! I also really need to clean out the fridge and get some food, so there might not be much time for it. I'm being careful with my eating today, though.

Have a wonderful day, all!

Magnolia

40 minute walk on the treadmill today.

Joan Please, please don’t feel like you can’t post. That’s one of the great purposes of a check in. You can tell us! We understand. You won’t be a downer. :) Knees hurting is really a part of exercise these days for most of us. When my knees are hurting, rotation or not I just do upper body or rest. It’s not like we are going to give up – just take the time to rest or make a change to keep going. I know myself some days I am not going to get that workout. Life happens.

Magnolia Don’t worry about getting back to me. I’ll just re-ask. ;) My favorite cardio is the treadmill. In the summer I have my garden (flower) it keeps me so busy and I love it. I started walking the neighborhood some last year also. I do prefer my treadmill. Cardio videos I would have to say I like step BUT, not complex. I know Cathe says work the brain and the body. I just like working the body! I can put more into it if I don’t have to worry about tripping or falling. AND good job staying focused on your eating out at restaurants that can be tough!

Bev Did you like the length and intensity of BC1. I did. Going slower really made a difference. During the summer my workout time is shorten so I think these weight workouts may just work for me. Not that Cathe’s premixes don’t do the trick… variety, I like variety. :D

Pauline ahhhh, kids!! What a nice thing for your DS to say. :cool: What email notifications are you talking about? My favorite Firms instructor is Allie. I really, really, try to like everything she does… it just does not always work. Her last dance workout well, I tried it once. I think Allison is pretty good in Dance Cardio Fusion. I really like the last segment of that one.

Hey Tina!!

Happy Friday!

Hi everyone!
Didn't do too well the last two days. Came home from work with killer sinus headaches and just vegged in front of the t.v. Today I am feeling much better, it is my day off and I am starting to clean house, will try and get a walk in later. My husband and boys are going to a Laker game tonight so I will have quiet time. Tomorrow I have Little League registration all day, I am the Secretary on the Board, so my day is shot! I just want to start feeling heathly so I can really get into my workouts. Still trying to put away my Christmas Decorations!!!! Have a great weekend! Will check in on Monday!

Tina

Hi Everyone!!!
Did you see this latest update--http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256701 ? I can't wait for the new workout manager.
Jann, I may have to do the STS rotation with Cathe!!! It won't be for a while though, since she will probably wait until everyone has their DVD's!!! I do like the length of CLX workouts, it isn't so hard to fit in. Tomorrow is Burn Circuit 2, right? I am going to try heavier weights than I used in BC1 and see how I do.
Today I did Christi's Step Heaven!!! Yup, it is hard choreography, but I didn't do too bad! I will probably do another workout this evening, haven't decided what yet.
Joan, I didn't see your post last night, so sorry about your knee pain!!! I hope they doing are better today!
Bev

Jann, I may have to do the STS rotation with Cathe!!! It won't be for a while though, since she will probably wait until everyone has their DVD's!!! I do like the length of CLX workouts, it isn't so hard to fit in. Tomorrow is Burn Circuit 2, right? I am going to try heavier weights than I used in BC1 and see how I do.Bev
OH Bev I am so glad you wrote this!! I didn't want to bail on you --- but the idea of doing the rotation with Cathe is very exciting! :D I plan to keep doing CLX until then. Yes, tomorrow is BC2, I am really looking forward to it.

The new workout manager looks very good! Sounds like a lot of fun things to keep us busy.

Tina I hope you are feeling better! Enjoy your quiet time before the storm. :D

Wow, it stinks getting old huh, Joan? I know I could do so much more than I do but then stuff starts to hurt everywhere.:rolleyes:

So, Cathe is going to do the STS rotation when everybody get theirs? That's awesome. I'll have to check that out.

I used to enjoy the treadmill too, Jann but now my hips hurt after walking long distances, my hips or something else. I just got an elliptical for Christmas. There's no impact so that's good but my hips do seem to ache after I do that for a long time too. Can't win!

My email notifications when someone posts in this thread I would get one. Now I haven't been getting them so I forget to check in.

I didn't exercise today, I had an early Dr. appt for a physical. Then I went food shopping and I had to work this evening.:D

Hello ladies,
Today was rest day. If you can call it a rest day when babysitting a 2 year old. Still working but wanted to check in. I'm trying to get 400 tax questionaires in the mail by noon on Saturday. The way it looks I'll still be up then. If I have any time I need to do an upper body wo.
Joan

Happy Saturday!

Pauline I tried the elliptical a couple of times when staying at hotels. Every time my hips hurt. I am short 5’1” (and shrinking ;)) with short legs. I talked to a sales guy at a fitness store and asked him why, he said my stride was not long enough and that it was too much for my hips. So I stayed with the treadmill. So far the treadmill is working for me. Does your elliptical have a stride adjustment on it?

Joan [hug] tax season! I don’t think babysitting is restful at all no matter if its 2 legs or 4! :) My oldest DS got himself 2 yes 2 puppies and guess who has to go tend to them for their afternoon bathroom break while he is as work? :rolleyes: They are such a handful. I don’t know old they have to be before they can be left go all day. I hope it’s not much longer. Taking them for a walk is a job.

I did Burn Circuit 2. It’s a lot like Burn Circuit 1 – I wish it was a bit more unique. But, at least I knew the moves. :) I did heavy up a bit and that feels really good. I used 12’s and 15’s today.

Help Jann

Not my real check in. Jann I need help in putting picture in thread. I think picture in avatar will be easy but haven't taken it yet. If you can explain for a computer idiot that would help.
Thanks Joan

I'm not yet fifty and over, but have a quick question: Please, I'm beggin' ya, please tell me that I'll have everything all figured out by then! I'm 38 now, so I only have twelve years to make it work!

arwenlong,
Yes you will have it figured out by then. But if you get in shape now it really will be easier. If you need to lose weight your skin will also react better.

Start writing- here are the secrets.
Stop trying to be perfect when you diet or exercise.
Plan what you are going to eat and what you are going to do for wo so you don't have to think about it.

I would always try to eat perfectly clean with lowest calories each Monday. It may last a few weeks but not forever. Now I am eating the most I can per Cathe's nutrition calculator and still lose. I only lose 1/2 pound per week but I didn't gain it fast either. If you plan in advance you can eat out almost everywhere. I didn't say you could eat anything you wanted but in moderation you can eat most things. I try to get mostly A's for vit and min. but if I don't I take a vitamin but make sure calories are ok.

Plan your Cathe's wo. Unless you are fitness freak, it doesn't matter which ones you use as long as you hit all body parts in a week. If you miss a wo, do something the next day. If you are on vacation be active and walk more.
DON'T GIVE UP.

Of course I only got it all together November 18, 2008. Since then I have lost 6 pounds. No that is not much until you realize I had Thanksgiving, two Christmas parties, a week of family staying and eating at my house and a week vacation in Las Vegas over New Years eve. Yes I am amazed at myself but I think I have decided this time I really will succeed.

If you read the thread you also realize that I was ready to give up Thursday.
The third and last secret is to have a group that will encourage you, and keep you accountable.

You are welcome to join us, just lie about your age.

Actually the real reason you can succeed is because your kids are grown and you don't have to cook for them and you finally have time for an hour a day for yourself.
Joan

Arwenlong – YUP just what Joan said. Start now and keep at it. :)

Sure Joan!! :D

See the little pull downs across the top here? Go to the right and click on “quick links” select “edit your details”
On the left side of the screen select "Edit Avatar"

Select "Use custom Avator"

If you have a picture on your computer use Option 2
If you have a picture uploaded to say – Flickr or some photo website copy and paste the URL into option 1

Let me know if you any other questions ---- or I’ll be “seeing” you soon! :cool:

Hi everyone!!!

Hope you are all having a great weekend!!!

It took me about an hour to figure out how to put my avator up!!! I thought it wasn't working, but it was. I couldn't find a very good picture (I had to crop one from a group pic), but this will do until I get a better one!

Today I did BC2 and lifted heavier! It was much harder than BC1!!! Then later I did Low Impact Step, which I haven't done for a long, long time! I added some impact and got an extra good workout! Jann, tomorrow is Burn Intervals (& Ab Burner for me).

I do not have a problem with my knees on my elliptical (I'm a little over 5'2"), but my feet 'fall asleep' and it is painful, so I kind of avoid doing it! Anyone have suggestions for this problem??

Bev

Hi everyone,
I won't type much. I just finished PUB and can barely move my arms. I shouldn't have waited so long between weight wo.

I took my before pictures. Boy are they bad. Unfortunately looks just like me. I've been this weight before but never this flabby. I wasn't going to post my before picture until I had a good after picture. But after thinking about it I've changed my mind. If I don't believe I will succeed no one else should. Once I figure out how to get pictures from folder of 64 pictures, I will post. It might take a while but I plan to eventually have after pictures.

Jann - Boy are you nice. I refuse to babysit son's dog.

Pauline and Bev - I have used ellipticals at some places with no problems but at my gym they killed my knees. The trainer said it was because I was short.
He said it was the distance between the feet placement but stride length makes more sense.
Joan

I like your advice to Arwenlong, Joan. Good solid advice.

I have to get my motivation back. I just can't believe I keep giving in. I didn't go over my calorie allowance today but I gave in to eating a couple of things after dinner. I don't like to do that. I don't loose when I do that. I would've been 300 cals below my top amount. I did buy some of the things that I eat when I'm doing well and eating good. So hopefully I won't touch the other stuff. It's almost gone anyway.

I did some 1rm's the other day and I had done some a few months ago and my weight had gone up so I felt good about that. I did not exercise today. I usually take Saturday's off. Tomorrow I will do legs and shoulders. But I don't think I'll do a dvd, I'll just do more 1rms.

I cannot change the stride on my elliptical. I am tall 5'7" but I find that I feel best with my feet all the way forward and as far as I can to the center. I'll bet my particular elliptical wouldn't be good for someone shorter. I'll just keep it under 45 min and I should do fine.

Everyone seems to have the exercise part down, like me but not the food. It's definitely the harder part. I count calories at Sparkpeople.com. Is anyone familiar with it?

Ha, ha, on the avatar, it took me three days to figure it out. I cropped pics and were still too big but then I found a website that makes it into an avatar for you. Then it still took some time to get that uploaded, it took some time to find it. LOL!

Congratulations on deciding to post your before pics, Joan. It's a hard decision, I'm there myself. I took one before pic and have to take some more but I never would post them before but this time I want to cause I really want to make it.

Pauline

Pauline

Good Evening Joan, Tina, Mangolia, Jann, Pauline & arwenlong!

Wow, we are getting to be a big group! I hope I didn't miss anyone, and hope all of you are having a wonderful Sunday!

Is everyone doing STS when we get it? We should hear something this week and the new workout manager should be up....I'm getting so excited--it's a good thing I have CLX to keep me busy!

Today was CLX Burn Intervals & Ab Burner--tough, but different tough than Cathe. Together it was 57 min. These workouts really work the legs, I love the thigh toner band! I will use it for fire walkers (my favorite!) in Butts & Guts. I like Chalene, but I love Cathe. I also like more cardio than CLX has in the program, but maybe I would get better results concentrating on lifting heavier and less cardio??? I just really, really love cardio, weights are so hard for me! The Ab Burner was not as tough as any Cathe ab workout.

Jann, did you do BI today? I'm thinking about just doing a week of every phase of CLX--then STS should be here! What do you think?

Pauline, I agree on the food part being the hard part. I just get so tired of watching what I eat, or eating what I want and gaining weight. It isn't as easy to be committed to my diet as when I was younger.

Is there anything that gets rid of the 'middle-age spread'? (That area 2 inches above and 2 inches below the belly button that goes all they way around.)

Have a great evening everyone!

Bev

I did more 1rms this morning, shoulders and legs. I wonder if it's accurate when you're still doing it 1 hour later. I'm sure you'd do more if you were just starting. Oh well, each time I exercise I'll rerecord my 1 rm. I'm doing STS but I am going on vacation in Feb for 10 days. I'll have to work around that.

Pauline

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.