50 and over October check in

JoanC

Cathlete
I wish someone would tell me what day it is.:D Or at least what month it is.

I didn't babysit Friday because I had such a cold. I think I'm getting over it. I actually started with it last Tuesday so it's been at least a week.

I had more trouble lifting today. I can't believe that made me weaker but I think it did.

Hope everyone is doing great.

Joan

Hi all!

My granddaughter got her 1yo shots which included the German measles. Well, guess who got German measles???? :confused: Yup me! Apparently they give a "live" culture or something. I watched her the day after her shots. Last Wed/Thur I wasn't feeling well, then I break out in this rash!! I am fine no harm and I am still a bit itchy here and there. Very mild case! She also had a rash for 3 days. good grief.

Much better today. I am going to give horizontal conditioning a try today. :D

I did the basic horizontal conditioning today. Holy Cow! I think this is going to be very good for my mid section! :D

Joan- I know what you mean. I thought we were supposed to slow down at this point in our lives. My family and my job are wearing me out!

Jann- that is terrible! I didnt know that you could get the measles like that! Didn't you have your own immunization?

I feel like I have the measles! I had a laser procedure done on my arms and chest to attack all of the precancers that lead to skin cancer. they look like I have the measles!

Is he horizontal training good? Is it hard? I am terrible at that plank work!

I was very surprised when the doctor asked if I had been around any small children. I didn't have a full blown case, it was just like Raelynn had after she had the shot. A had a low fever for 2 days followed by a 3 day rash. It didn't itch badly or anything, just felt bad. :confused:

horizontal conditioning -- OMgosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am loving it! I can't possibly do it 100% -- just doing the modifications hurts. :rolleyes::p I ended up getting the "beginner" one also -- The bootcamp and vol 1 were WAY to hard for me. :eek::eek: You start out with 10 minutes... that's doable. AND you will feel it. My lower abs are so sore. Even now when I go to suck in my stomach... they are talking to me. :p I need to get back into some type of cardio. Maybe soon. :) I am hoping reading about the new workouts I get the bug again.

Last edited:
Jann- Cardio solution= Crossfire. I pulled that one out yesterday because I was nt into jumping-- Im still feeling it! It is such a nice combination of cardio and toning and to me seems doable because it is in segments.:)

Which Horizontal would you reccommend?

I did Pure Barre at their studio today. I love that workout. I wish I had been a ballerina!

Beth Thanks, I will pull that one.
I would suggest Vol1 or bootcamp for you. From a number of others on this forum that's the two everyone likes. I am not in shape enough to get through them... taking the summer off has set me back a bit :eek: .

My cold has been lingering and I just haven't gotten much done but the bare minimum.

In the 6 weeks of training I have only lost 4lb but 2 inches off the waist. I think I have slowly increased my calories over the 1600 a day and I need to go back to that number.

Hope everyone is feeling better.

Joan, it has been so damp and cold here I am not surprised everyone isn't getting sick. :( Losing is losing and 2 Inches is major! Congrats!

I am only working out 2-3 days a week - :eek: This agility training, babysitting, and volunteering has really cut into "me" time. :confused: I need to get more organized with my time. I seem to just be keeping up. The yard fall clean up is right around the corner, must make time for that. :)
Need a plan. :D

Jann when you get a plan let me know where you find the extra time.:D

I can't remember is xtrain another 90 day program. I guess I will go look it up.

Jann I was wondering the same thing! I know I am!!!

My DH had knee surgery last week- then I got a whopper of cold/flu while with him at therapy. So I have been out for at least a week with no desire to jump back in yet. I have been taking nyquel to sleep and I an not believe how hard it is to motivate the next day. Maybe I willl force myself into a walk today.

What is everyone elses excuse?

Well, I have zero energy, I am babysitting, taking my dog to agility classes, attending master gardener seminars, volunteering at MG and my gardening club, yard work, etc. etc. etc. No real excuse but, you asked. :D:p;)

Hi, Y'All!

I am sorry to have been absent again, but we left on vacation October 2 and only got back Tuesday of this week. DS is stationed in Stuttgart, and we went to see him. Had a wonderful time, but dh and I are having major jet lag this time, plus nasty sinus trouble. Working out would probably help a great deal, but just have been so tired and feeling yucky as well, it's hard to get motivated. But I will try to do better.

Jann, what is horizontal conditioning? It sounds intriguing. When we were coming through immigration the other day, there was a poster warning of a German measles epidemic here. Mil said she had them twice, and I didn't even know that was possible. I hope you are all better by now.

Joan and Beth, I hope you are recovering from your colds. This sinus mess is pretty bad, just don't feel like doing much of anything.

I would have liked to pre-order X-Train, but the trip was pretty expensive, plus there were other expenses related my medical checkups, so I am pretty strapped. I still plan to order, it will just not be right away.

Please get well everyone!

Magnolia

Welcome home Magnolia. HC is a series of DVD's that work your core. I'll try to fine the threads on them. A lot of gals have been enjoying them.
I am fine now, thanks. I only had a Very Mild case. Pretty much the same as Raelynn(who got the shot) had.

Here is some information from a fellow cathelete.

HC is a series of workouts created by Sandra Koulourides. Here are the links:
Horizontal Conditioning : Purchase DVD's
http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Sear...l+conditioning

Here is a link to an older thread on VF that discussed the workouts when we all first sort of discovered Sandra: http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...ght=horizontal

I totally think any Cathlete would be fine bypassing the "Getting" workouts and going straight to the volumes. Just a wee warning though...Bootcamp is super tough! Whatever you do, don't make that your first workout with HC! It'll scare you off! LOL I find Volume 4 very challenging balance wise with the stability ball work. I'm still working up to conquering that one, but I seem to have conquered Volumes 1, 2, and 3. I can do all of those now without pausing the dvd or making modifications. Depending on your starting core strength, that may take awhile or you may get it fairly quickly. You also have to build up the endurance in your wrists, shoulders and lower back with all the plank work. You hold plank much longer than in other dvds and she does really creative variations on it (stuff I've never seen)... so the brief plank work in Cathe's workouts won't totally prepare you. She does give breaks for the wrists by doing many moves in elbow plank and also going vertical throughout the workouts to work legs/glutes.

One thing to keep in mind, you really have to be okay with the fact that Sandra's production values aren't nearly as good as Cathe. She's just starting out...so the filming, sound, lighting, etc. is sort of amateurish. The club dvds (the Hardcore's and 101's) are even more so since they are really just dvd-r's of her filming her classes...she originally made these to sell the ideas to other fitness instructors througout the country. She didn't originally intend to sell them to the public.

Hi, Y'All!

Jann, the dvds look interesting. Maybe when I have a chance, I'll try the very first ones. I do find that I have to give myself a little more recovery time between workouts, it's age-related, I guess! But I am trying to build up my strength and stamina. Not too much luck this week because of the jet lag, which seems worse this time. I am not snapping back as I used to! Anyway, I am trying not to go to bed before 10, but it's tough. Did a stretching workout today, hoping that would help.

Hi, Joan & Beth. Hope you are feeling better.

Have a great evening, everyone!

Magnolia

Magnolia I know what you mean. I used to travel for work all the time jumping time zones, planes, 8 hour car rides. NO more!! It is much harder to bounce back now! :confused:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.