2 or 4 lb weighted gloves?

macbeanur

Cathlete
Hey All!

I am trying to decide between the 2 and 4 lb weighted gloves. Do the 2 lb gloves have 2, 1 lb weights and the 4 lb gloves have 2, 2 lb weights?

Also, for those of you who own both gloves, is it easier to get the weights in and out of the gloves for either the 2 or 4 lb gloves? I want it to be as easy as possible to put the weights in and out of the gloves.

Thanks for your help!

Sarah

Last edited:
I have both because I bought the two pound total when they originally came out. I have never removed the weights from either. If you only want to buy one pair, buy the four pound pair, because the weights are in 1/2 pound increments, so you could make them one pound each of you wanted. They also have a palm (full glove), whereas the lighter pair is open in the palm, if that makes a difference to you. The four pound pair is a little hard to get off and on quickly -- the fingers are somewhat tight and if you get sweaty, well, they kind of all bunch up and try to go inside out when you're trying to rip them off in a hurry and keep up with Cathe and not pause. :)

Thank-you so much for your reply! That was so helpful. I, erroneously, thought the 2 lb gloves had palms, and I thought that the 4 lb gloves were in 1 lb increments. I had originally thought oh I'll get the 4 lb gloves because if I only need 1 or 2 lbs it'll be easier to get the weights in and out - but then I read somewhere that the increments were 1 lb and it seemed it was 6 of one 1/2 dozen of another for the 2 vs the 4 for changing weights (I thought both types had 2 weights/glove).

Great, I'll go for the 4 lb gloves.

Next question. Size. I have read that there is an issue with the strength gloves running small - I am 5' 4" and 140 lbs - my hands "fit" me. Not overly big or small. Should I order the small/medium size? The width of my palm is a little more than about 3 inches if that helps. (So hard to measure the back of my hand with a ruler. My tape measure is at home.

Definitely the 4lb gloves...

The 2 lb ones are open palm so I had to wear my regular padded gloves underneath, plus the thumbs are not reinforced very well & mine have now begun to rip.

The newer ones are much more versatile and easier to load & unload weights. I find myself really micro loading by 1/2 lb increments this time around for STS. Plus they hae the padded palm. I leave them on the entire workout so I have no issue w/them being hard to get on/off all the way.

My only issue so far with them is that the zipper pull is pretty flimsy, so when they are fully loaded its hard to close pouch easily. we'll see over time how it holds up. I already had to exchange them cuz the zipper actually bent then broke after one use! This really needs to be addressed (IMO).

I got size sm/med, they are a bit snugger than i'd like in the fingers, but hopefully will stretch out over usage.

When you say the newer ones - do you mean the newer 2 lb gloves? I know that the older version of 2 lb gloves had the open palm, but now they have the closed palm 2 lb gloves.

Or are you talking about the new 4 lb gloves that Cathe just started selling?

Thanks for all of your help!

I think she's referring to the newer four pound pair. I'm about your size and I got the s/m size and then worried when people complained, but they seem to fit fine. They're somewhat snug, and I think that's why they want to turn inside out when I'm taking them off, but I'm not sure you'd want them loose -- the weight would wobble around, I'd think. They're thin neoprene (I think), so there is some stretch factor.

I would recommend the new 4 lb microload gloves. I had both and prefer this one, because so versatile and I love the full glove, the other one was open and not as comfortable.

Mary

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.