Perfect 30 Flexibility - how often?

workout

Cathlete
I just love the new Perfect 30 Flexibility exercises and exactly what I need. Cathe mentions on the video that to do the program at least 1 time per week but I was just wondering to really get "flexible", how many times per week would be appropriate? Thanks!

Just saw this. I don't have a definitive answer, but I would imagine it depends on how much you need to improve your personal flexibility, and how much the workout is helping you do that. I'm 63 years old and have lost quite a bit of flexibility in the last few years. I was never super flexible to begin with, though. Right now, I'm doing this workout once a week, and I see improvement each time, if that helps.

Just saw this. I don't have a definitive answer, but I would imagine it depends on how much you need to improve your personal flexibility, and how much the workout is helping you do that. I'm 63 years old and have lost quite a bit of flexibility in the last few years. I was never super flexible to begin with, though. Right now, I'm doing this workout once a week, and I see improvement each time, if that helps.

CarolRose, thank you so much. I'm 62 years old, so also lost some flexibility. This will help a lot if you have seen a difference doing it 1 time per week. Thank you again.

With flexibility/mobility I find once a week is enough to maintain my current level of flexibility but I don't see an improvement. Twice a week I will see a bit of improvement after a while. To see real improvement I need at least 3 times and preferably 4 times per week and I will see noticeable improvements within 1-2 weeks. However, if I stop I very quickly lose the gains I've made. What I try to do is put into my workout rotations 2-3 weeks where my main focus is on flexibility/mobility and I will do at least 4 workouts a week of this type, then I will drop it back to once or twice a week to maintain.

With flexibility/mobility I find once a week is enough to maintain my current level of flexibility but I don't see an improvement. Twice a week I will see a bit of improvement after a while. To see real improvement I need at least 3 times and preferably 4 times per week and I will see noticeable improvements within 1-2 weeks. However, if I stop I very quickly lose the gains I've made. What I try to do is put into my workout rotations 2-3 weeks where my main focus is on flexibility/mobility and I will do at least 4 workouts a week of this type, then I will drop it back to once or twice a week to maintain.

Hazlady, thank you so much for the information. I'm going to try 2 times per week and go from there. Again, this helps just to see how it works for others. Thank you again.

Just a thought: to maintain and foster flexibility I would think is a daily thing, right? Kind of like eating and sleeping well and the cliche of "if you don't use it you lose it." If for some weird reason I don't stretch in a day, it just don't feel right and I get stiff. I'm sure you wouldn't do a flexibility focused workout everyday, just like you wouldn't lift weights with the same body part everyday but as suggested already, add it in to your rotation.

I just finished P30 Yoga for the first time and LOVED it! I followed up with the Core routine. I've done the Mobility workout several times and found it very beneficial to finding areas that need extra focus. I'm going to fit both of these into my rotations on a regular basis, aiming for 2X per week for both to start (I think there may be a Mishmosh premix combing them?).

Snowlover, that's what I was thinking. I stretch for at least ten minutes every day after every workout. However, I wonder if I need to dedicate one day per week for flexibility that is longer than 10 minutes. If so, how long should that dedicated workout be?

I had more thoughts on this subject recently because this time of year I stand at a work bench 6 days a week and it is so hard on the body and as much as I try to move (butt kicks, anyone?) as I work it is not enough. I think movement is everything. Your body is kind of like a car engine--it was meant to move and work, not sit idling.
There are times I will do a Cathe step workout because I think it acts like a range of motion/flexibility workout simply because she puts such a variety of movement in it that it make my body feel much better. My rotations that I do are simply based on how I feel and the time I have and if I want to work on a particular aspect of my fitness. Sometimes I'm lifting more, other times more kickboxing, you get the picture. In other words, I would think you could do flexibility training as much as you wish, always listening to your body.
I think the big thing is to keep moving. Rest when needed but as I recently heard "motion is lotion" and I think I'm going to continue to take that to heart.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.