Best Cathe Workout for eccentric (negative) lifting.

Osutxgirl

Cathlete
I've developed tendon pain in my biceps/shoulders and read that working on the negative can help this condition. I'm taking some time to heal, but am hoping someone would suggest which Cathe DVDS/Live workouts concentrate on the negative movements. Thanks for any suggestions.

CTX weight segment of course and High reps --- High reps is great, what makes it even more challenging is the combination
of band and weight, it is a bliss for us who love isolation playing with longer tensions;):p
High reps is unique:)

For legs --- I would also recommend L --- M;);)eaner Legs from CTX series

Last edited:
LOVE Slow & Heavy!!
My physical therapist awhile back suggested more eccentric resistance for me especially for the rear delts and rhomboids. 3 seconds concentric and at least 5 eccentric. Keep in mind that DOMS will last longer so you'll need longer recoveries & she advised me to keep it to 2 sets or less ideally. Just an FYI. Not rules set in stone obviously. I found using a band in conjuction with the weight (I kept it low to moderate weight as I was overcoming chronic injury) help to discipline me in controlling/slowing down the negative/eccentric resistance. I've noticed Cathe does this for back work in a couple of her DVDs, for example High Reps as Nathalie has pointed out.

CTX weight segment of course and High reps --- High reps is great, what makes it even more challenging is the combination
of band and weight, it is a bliss for us who love isolation playing with longer tensions;):p

Is CTX cross train?

LOVE Slow & Heavy!!
My physical therapist awhile back suggested more eccentric resistance for me especially for the rear delts and rhomboids. 3 seconds concentric and at least 5 eccentric. Keep in mind that DOMS will last longer so you'll need longer recoveries & she advised me to keep it to 2 sets or less ideally. Just an FYI. Not rules set in stone obviously. I found using a band in conjuction with the weight (I kept it low to moderate weight as I was overcoming chronic injury) help to discipline me in controlling/slowing down the negative/eccentric resistance. I've noticed Cathe does this for back work in a couple of her DVDs, for example High Reps as Nathalie has pointed out.
Thank you for your input. This is helping and I love the work outs. I can lift now and I have much less pain.

Hi Everyone,

Would like to add Pedal power to the list! I think Hovering up and down on the bike is another
eccentric move. Song#6 of clip below;):p
Ride from X-train also contain some eccentric drill sneaked in;)

Oh, while we are on this topic --- eccentric training, here is an article.
We shall all not over do it:eek:;)

http://cathe.com/how-negative-reps-work
I did read that article too. I have am doing her CTX, Slow and Heavy, and I added the High Reps workouts too. With all I have slowed down the negative portion of the lifting even more than Cathe. I have pretty bad shoulder tendonosis/tendonitis I guess. I pulled something during STS on incline bench press. I've avoided incline since. I'm actually afraid to even try it again. I had gotten in to great shape, but until I started the eccentric training I was unable to do much lifting at all and I was starting to loose my muscle. This has been hard for me. Without the help of these forums I would have not known what to do. Icing has helped, but I'm not having too much pain using this lifting technique.

I haven't tried the biking work outs because I only have an elliptical. What type of bike do you use? I am considering getting one.

[QUOTE="Osutxgirl, post: 2347363, member: 156175]

I haven't tried the biking work outs because I only have an elliptical. What type of bike do you use? I am considering getting one.[/QUOTE]

@Osutxgirl

I am using a bike with following specifications. It's a basic spinning bike for home use.
Not a heavy-duty commercial for public gyms.

Many cathletes own a Sunny bike. You will find more details and recommendation reading through the link I previously
posted. I live in Europe so you probably won't found mine in US, this one below. After 2 years of use, it is still fine!:)

• 18kg flywheel
  • adjustable micro-tension
  • pad braking
  • adjustable saddle
  • adjustable handlebars
  • non-slip pedals
bc4612_main.jpg

I found I have a shoulder impingement. My trap on that side is really small compared to my left side. I'm trying physical therapy at home, but I'm still lifting and gaining strength. The trap difference looks goofy to me.

I found I have a shoulder impingement. My trap on that side is really small compared to my left side. I'm trying physical therapy at home, but I'm still lifting and gaining strength. The trap difference looks goofy to me.

Sorry to hear your traps look asymetrical. Have you asked a good friend aware of body misalignment to get a second opinion.
A competent physical therapist or personal trainer could help!

It is probably not a serious misalignment or curvature issue. It could be an imbalance issue in which case strength training could help balance
out all muscles. A strategy would be to re-focus on core/abs, working unilaterally. Core exercises working upper body could help.
I would book consultation as it has been more than a year. I am on the mend for shoulder impingement. lifting has helped but I needed to take
baby step. Frustrating...Grr

Take care:):)

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your traps look asymetrical. Have you asked a good friend aware of body misalignment to get a second opinion.
A competent physical therapist or personal trainer could help!

It is probably not a serious misalignment or curvature issue. It could be an imbalance issue in which case strength training could help balance
out all muscles. A strategy would be to re-focus on core/abs, working unilaterally. Core exercises working upper body could help.
I would book consultation as it has been more than a year. I am on the mend for shoulder impingement. lifting has helped but I needed to take
baby step. Frustrating...Grr

Take care:):)
Band pulls make my shoulder feel better. I just have to force myself to do it. I hope yours gets better too.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.