Looking for Dairy & Gluten Free homemade ice cream

Gobias

Cathlete
Hi All,

Does anyone have a homemade recipe for ice cream that is dairy & gluten free? I am also hoping for it to be the "cleanest" recipe possible with no white sugar.

I do have an ice cream maker, but don't have to make it with that machine. It can just be prepared and frozen in a bowl or popsicle pops.

I do not mind what flavor it is and, if necessary, can use sweeteners like coconut sugar, honey, maple syrup, very ripe bananas, dates, etc...just not white sugar. Even "fudge pops" are fine.

I can use coconut milk or nut milks if possible. The use of eggs are fine.

I currently make "ice creams" with frozen acai or bananas, etc and not use much liquid to make it resemble ice cream more than a smoothie, but am looking for it to be a bit more ice cream-like.

I have found a lot of dairy & gluten free ice cream recipes, but they all have loads of white sugar in the ingredient list.

Thank You!

Thanks, Justine for the link - I will scroll through as many items look yummy!

Sadly, I made some ice cream last week (not from that site) and it did not turn out. I am upset because it was a lot of expensive ingredients! It was made with coconut cream, honey and concentrated coconut cream. The taste was really good, but once it froze, it froze hard and would not thaw! I tried thawing it in the fridge overnight and it was still hard as concrete. I then thawed it on the counter and it took all day and immediately became soupy, rather than soft-serve ice cream-like. I tried eating it like a soup and the taste was good, but it was just a soupy unattractive mess.

I did some research and ice cream made with coconut milk/cream freezes very hard unless you put vodka in it. I am still on the lookout, as I always LOVED ice cream here in the hot desert.

I found this recipe just a few days ago, but have not tried it yet. It also uses coconut cream.

Coconut Milk Ice Cream

1. 2 (330 ml) Tetra Pak® packages of Coconut Cream
  2. 3 Tablespoons Natural Sugar (or 2 teaspoons natural sugar and a dash or two of stevia or Coco Monkey)
  3. Dash of Salt
  4. 1 Egg
  5. 1 Tablespoon Vanilla
Combine the coconut cream, sweetener, and salt in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the mixture almost boils. Reduce heat to low. In a bowl beat egg. Gradually stir about 1/2 cup of the warm coconut cream mixture into the beaten egg. Slowly stir this mixture into the remaining hot coconut mixture. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until slightly thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Remove from heat and let cool. Use an ice cream maker to cool and create a nice creamy ice cream.

If you do not own an ice cream maker, then pour this into a container to freeze. Ice cube trays work very nicely. When the mixture is almost totally solid (but not too hard) place it in a blender and blend on high. If the cubes are too hard, it will not blend. If this happens, just let it sit out for a few minutes until it begins to melt. Once you have blended the almost frozen coconut mixture you may return it to the freezer and freeze. This blending helps to create fine ice crystals so you will have the texture of commercial ice cream.

Variations:
  1. Coconut Pineapple Ice Cream: Add 1 1/4 C Pineapple Juice and 1/3 cup Toasted Coconut
  2. Orange Cream Delight: Add 1 1/4 C Orange Juice.
  3. Strawberry Ice Cream: Add 1 1/2 to 2 cups of Strawberries

I do ripe bananas that are frozen solid, no-sugar almond milk 30 calorie, cocoa powder and peanut butter powder. buy the ripe "baking bananas" that most stores sell for less than half price. a bit of salt and vanilla extract. I make a big amount. DH uses it for dessert. so maybe 6-7 bananas about 1/3 cup of cocoa powder for baking, PB powder, and enough almond milk to blend into a thick milk shake consistency. you need a decent blender. I add milk a little at a time until it blends all the banana. freeze in individual containers. makes about 8 .... generous 1/2 cup each. it freezes hard so needs to sit out a while or micro it for 20 seconds. you can do similar with other frozen fruit. we like this chocolate version best. I do not want fat or sugar calories so I would not use coconut.

Trail doggie

Thanks for the popsicle recipe..sounds great! Plan on trying this summer for after yard work treat.

Gobias

Any chance you tried one of the varieties from this complik8td post? Very curious as to flavor and whether you had to add or subtract ingredients. I love ice cream year round...thanks for input!
I found this recipe just a few days ago, but have not tried it yet. It also uses coconut cream.

Coconut Milk Ice Cream

2. 3 Tablespoons Natural Sugar (or 2 teaspoons natural sugar and a dash or two of stevia or Coco Monkey)
  3. Dash of Salt
  4. 1 Egg
  5. 1 Tablespoon Vanilla
Combine the coconut cream, sweetener, and salt in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the mixture almost boils. Reduce heat to low. In a bowl beat egg. Gradually stir about 1/2 cup of the warm coconut cream mixture into the beaten egg. Slowly stir this mixture into the remaining hot coconut mixture. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until slightly thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Remove from heat and let cool. Use an ice cream maker to cool and create a nice creamy ice cream.

If you do not own an ice cream maker, then pour this into a container to freeze. Ice cube trays work very nicely. When the mixture is almost totally solid (but not too hard) place it in a blender and blend on high. If the cubes are too hard, it will not blend. If this happens, just let it sit out for a few minutes until it begins to melt. Once you have blended the almost frozen coconut mixture you may return it to the freezer and freeze. This blending helps to create fine ice crystals so you will have the texture of commercial ice cream.

Variations:
  1. Coconut Pineapple Ice Cream: Add 1 1/4 C Pineapple Juice and 1/3 cup Toasted Coconut

This is a pretty vague "recipe". most quantities are approximate. because there is no fat, it freezes hard. I like it defrosted a little. when it just comes out of the blender its best. freezing it and defrosting a little in the evening works best for us. Hope you enjoy experimenting to get what you like .

Coconut Milk Ice Cream

3. Dash of Salt
  4. 1 Egg
  5. 1 Tablespoon Vanilla

Variations:
HI!

Just want to thank you for this recipe. Great and healthy alternative!

Simplest recipe I know: Banana "Nice" Cream. Pretty similar to Traildoggie's recipe.

Take 3-4 large OVERRIPE (like turning black overripe) bananas. Peel them and break them into chunks and freeze overnight or at least 8 hours. Chuck them in a food processor and process until it comes to a soft-serve consistency. (Be patient, it can take a while.)

That's the base, but feel free to add stuff in, such as a splash of vanilla, a couple tablespoons of nut butter, chocolate chips, etc. It's pretty versatile. I like making this in the summer for when I'm craving ice cream on warm days. I find it freezes nicely as is and has a scooping consistency similar to normal ice cream.

• 1 can (13.5 oz) whole coconut milk
  • 1 cup original or vanilla almond milk
  • 1/2 cup agave nectar
  • 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1/4 tsp table salt
  • 1/2 cup diced strawberries or other fruit, chocolate chips, sprinkles, (optional)
  1. In a blender, add all ingredients and blend on high until thick and creamy, 1-2 min. Transfer mixture to an airtight container and chill 2-4 hours.
  2. Place chilled mixture into an ice-cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions (might only need half the amount of suggested churn time, as it thickens pretty quickly.) If using add-ins, gently add them during last 5 minutes of churning.
  3. May serve immediately for a frozen custard-like texture that’s ultra creamy, smooth, and soft. Otherwise, transfer ice cream to an airtight container and freeze 30-60 minutes for a firmer texture. If frozen much longer, it will need thaw time at room temp before serving (actual thaw time depends on your room temp.)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.