Cardio Suggestions with healing broken wrist?

hiho322

Cathlete
Hey all (and hopefully, Cathe):

My girlfriend broke her wrist (2 months out), still in a splint. She needs some kind of cardio workout because she's going crazy, not being able to work out like normal. Can't put any kind of pressure on the wrist, so nothing on the floor. No weights and nothing high impact (low to no impact). No box, obviously. So far, she's been doing the Bonus Barre, most of Turbo Barre, many of the other add-ons, lots of Lean Legs & Abs stuff, lots of core. The only cardio we've been able to find was an old workout by Christi Taylor, which was a live class that pre-dated and influenced "Fit To Dance." Anyone have any suggestions? Of course, she'd prefer Cathe workouts, but she's desperate at this point, as you can well imagine. So any workouts by anyone would be helpful.

Thanks,

Annie

What about some step workouts? Something like LowMax so it's lower impact so her hands aren't swinging as much as high impact. What about walking/power walking/jogging? You can even do walking workouts for free on youtube.

Thanks, firemedic, but she's scared to death to get on a step right now. And we live in the City, so a walking or power walking workout won't work for her. But I do appreciate your input :)

One of the Low Impact Kick Max pre-mixes? Slide and Glide Cardio? All Out Low Impact Hiit, floor and discs only (not picking up the weights, which are very light in any case)? Ripped with Hiit Low Impact Hiit #1?

It's quite tricky, isn't it?

I'm sorry for not understanding: why does living in a city preclude a running or walking workout? I don't see this at all.

Get to a gym: use the cardio machines, especially treadmill. You aren't supposed to hold on to the side bars anyway! Hike up the inclines to max 15% an start walking! Sweat will flow very quickly!! Then, spend an hour taking the incline and speed up and down to suit the tempo of the music and have fun. You can do this every other day for weeks while the /wrist/hand heals and and be in excellent shape by the end.

Clare

I broke my wrist last summer, so I completely understand what your friend is going through. The workouts I was able to do were Turbo Barre, Slide and Glide (minus some of the arm movements), and I think I did Cardio Supersets with a lot of substitutions for any burpees or "hands on the floor" moves. I have an old Nordic Track and was able to do the skiing part and hold the handles instead of doing the arms that would normally be done while using it.

If I think of anything else, I will let you know.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for not understanding: why does living in a city preclude a running or walking workout? I don't see this at all.

Get to a gym: use the cardio machines, especially treadmill. You aren't supposed to hold on to the side bars anyway! Hike up the inclines to max 15% an start walking! Sweat will flow very quickly!! Then, spend an hour taking the incline and speed up and down to suit the tempo of the music and have fun. You can do this every other day for weeks while the /wrist/hand heals and and be in excellent shape by the end.

Clare

Clare, I so appreciate your input, but we don't jog, we don't do any exercise outsude.

Clare, I so appreciate your input, but we don't jog, we don't do any exercise outsude.
and somehow, this got posted before I was ready . We also don't belong to a gym, so unfortunately, that's not going to work either. Great ideas, just no way to implement them. We've only ever worked out to videos and DVDs at home, and for the last few years, pretty much exclusively Cathe workouts.

I broke my wrist last summer, so I completely understand what your friend is going through. The workouts I was able to do were Turbo Barre, Slide and Glide (minus some of the arm movements), and I think I did Cardio Supersets with a lot of substitutions for any burpees or "hands on the floor" moves. I have an old Nordic Track and was able to do the skiing part and hold the handles instead of doing the arms that would normally be done while using it.

If I think of anything else, I will let you know.
Steppin out, thank you so much! Yes Turbo Barre has pretty much become a staple. I'll tell her about your other suggestions!!!!

I was told it was OK to try running early on and I did try it (although I hate running) and it hurt the wrist every time my feet hit the ground! I also don't belong to a gym, but did enjoy some walks around the neighborhood. My workouts are all done at home with Cathe videos, unless I am biking, skiing or kayaking with my family. No biking or kayaking last summer, though :-(

Another video I thought of, maybe parts of SuperCuts? Obviously, no weights, but some parts of that are do-able without using the wrists. I still use a stability ball and alternate side to side wood hops instead of doing the alternating sit outs. Honestly, they bothered my wrists before I broke one!

One thing I did for substitutions for mountain climbers in Cardio Supersets were flutter kicks or bike maneuver. Basically, I would see if I could mimic a move on my back! I think I also tried After Burn, with substitutions and All Out Low Impact HIIT from the Xtrain series. She could try the low impact from ripped with HIIT, but they are so fast moving, it may be tough.

I did do very low impact step with no risers (and very little arm movement), so once your friend feels more confident, they may want to give that a try. Certainly, she should avoid anything she is not comfortable doing right now!

Good luck in the recovery process! I know how difficult not doing cardio with Cathe can be! I had pins put in my wrist and after my surgery I came home and was watching Portions of Cathe videos on You Tube!

Annie, I don't know how long your friend has to heal, but she should focus on what she can do! She can probably do lots and lots of ab work-Cathe has so many choices!. She can do leg work with leg weights on-Cathe has lots of floor weight options. She can also do 1000 walking lunges wearing a weight vest (if she wants to do that many!). Personally, my heart rate gets up with walking lunges and the most I've done is 300, which takes me about 15 minutes. So a good cardio and leg workout could include lots of lunges! Straight cardio is going to be tough without a machine-treadmill, bike, stair master, crossrobic, etc. Good luck. I had to take 6 weeks off after foot surgery and did no cardio-it didn't hurt me though. I learned how to fish! Maybe she just needs to take a total cardio break and explore a good author or something that interests her.

Beth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.