I think its time . . .

melagras

Cathlete
to make a job change.

Out of the blue this morning I get called into my real estate attorney's office to bitch about his filing not getting done. (No one at a law firm has time for filing.) He had the nerve to tell me to put his filing over my litigation attorney's work. My lit attorney bills $1 million to $1.5 million every year. I have no intention of putting his filing ahead of billable work. And to add insult to injury, after I got back from lunch I got this e-mail:

I want to be clear with you about our discussion this morning. When you do not have any typing to do for me, I expect you to devote time at some point during the day to my filing. And, I am not authorizing overtime for this. Otherwise, you are working only for Mark and that is just not what is intended or is fair.

He must be joking. He never makes budget, comes in at 9:00 am and leaves at 2:00 pm every day. Mark works his ass off and almost doubles his budget every year.

Do I need to start looking for another job?

Who is Mark, what is his position, does he have the power to wield leverage on your behalf and to support your activities and time division? Maybe let those two duke it out so you stay free and clear of criticism? Why are so many (male) bosses complete egocentric assholes? No-one in their right, money-making, money-saving mind would prioritize filing over litigation attorney work. Don't you just wish you could suggest he do his own bleedin' filing?!?!!!

Clare

Who is Mark, what is his position, does he have the power to wield leverage on your behalf and to support your activities and time division? Maybe let those two duke it out so you stay free and clear of criticism? Why are so many (male) bosses complete egocentric assholes? No-one in their right, money-making, money-saving mind would prioritize filing over litigation attorney work. Don't you just wish you could suggest he do his own bleedin' filing?!?!!!

Clare

Mark and Edley are both equity members - they are equals. I don't like getting Mark involved in petty arguments. He does support me when I complain to him but it really needs to be a serious issue. I don't like to play that card unless I absolutely have to.

If you look at my workload from each attorney, I probably spend 85% of my time on litigation which pays the bills - real estate doesn't.

Should I have a talk with the managing partner or let this blow over? Edley has a tendency to be a pussy (sorry for the language but that is the only word that fits) at times. Evidently he doesn't get enough attention at home.

I've learned that life is short...and if my job starts to suck the life out of me.....I need to go. Its time to prioritize. Is this job a stepping stone to something better, do you feel fulfilled? Is it a great paycheck or just helping you survive?

I took a new job a while ago for a little less pay, closer to home, better benefits and time off. I am a list maker, So Before I made the decision to leave, I wrote the pros and cons down for each job. That's just me and how I figure things out. Perhaps try to be diplomatic in dealing with the issues at work, mindful of company politics if you must. The bottom line should be your happiness with what you do everyday!

Life really is too short to allow such bullheaded people making us miserable!

I've learned that life is short...and if my job starts to suck the life out of me.....I need to go. Its time to prioritize. Is this job a stepping stone to something better, do you feel fulfilled? Is it a great paycheck or just helping you survive?

I took a new job a while ago for a little less pay, closer to home, better benefits and time off. I am a list maker, So Before I made the decision to leave, I wrote the pros and cons down for each job. That's just me and how I figure things out. Perhaps try to be diplomatic in dealing with the issues at work, mindful of company politics if you must. The bottom line should be your happiness with what you do everyday!

Life really is too short to allow such bullheaded people making us miserable!

Stepping stone - no
Fulfilled - no
Great paycheck - yes

As I've gotten older I've become very clear about my needs and upsets - even at work. In this instance, I would likely escalate the issue for clarification to my direct supervisor/manager so s/he can help me figure out a solution to this challenge you are having. The lawyer obviously hasn't read anything by Shawn Achor on happiness in the workplace. The tone of that email was not necessary to get a point across. Kindness just brings better results, more productivity, buy-in etc... Good Luck. Frustration in the workplace dampens spirits.

I don't know anything about law firm practices, so I have to ask. Is lawyer servicing their clients adequately if the filings don't get done? I'm coming at this from the perspective of a possible client that needs work done by a real estate attorney. I'm assuming the filings are being done on behalf of someone that hired him to do something.

Who makes the decision about which attorney you do work for? It seems that person should be consulted to handle this issue. Is your organization set up so that you get to decide if it's okay for you to put one attorney over another? If not, then it seems you could be getting yourself into trouble by making those types of decisions. Again, I don't know anything about law office politics for org structures. I just know in my company it's not my place to decide matters of budget and and who is and who isn't doing this and that. I am given tasks to do that are identified in my job objectives yearly, and if I don't accomplish them it becomes a problem.

Would it be possible for you to sit down with the two of them and get agreement from both of them about how you should spend your time? Maybe outline the demands on your time, what you have been spending it on (and why), and say you need to ensure your priorities agree with theirs. I am not sure if this would fly - it works in my corporate world but I have never worked in a law office.

I think Toni makes some really good points.

Stebby

Would it be possible for you to sit down with the two of them and get agreement from both of them about how you should spend your time? Maybe outline the demands on your time, what you have been spending it on (and why), and say you need to ensure your priorities agree with theirs. I am not sure if this would fly - it works in my corporate world but I have never worked in a law office.

I think Toni makes some really good points.

Stebby

I doubt that would work. It would cause nothing but friction between the two of them and more tension for me. Lawyers don't care about working together and keeping the peace.

Possibly your colleague looking for a scapegoat?

If things had been building to a head about work not getting done on time, etc., I could understand it. But, this came out of the blue.

Let me give you a little background on this idiot:

1.His vision is shot.

If things had been building to a head about work not getting done on time, etc., I could understand it. But, this came out of the blue.

Let me give you a little background on this idiot:

1. His vision is shot.

2. He made the mistake of telling me that he did some hardcore drugs in college which have probably affected his brain.

3. He thinks he has given me instructions on a project - which he didn't.

4. He wanders in every morning around 9:00 am and leaves no later than 2:30 pm. All of the other attorneys put in 8-9 hours everyday.

I could go on. Get the picture?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.