Something to Crow about

Nanbo

Cathlete
Okay, as part of my Birthday Goal to myself I have made a goal of learning to do The Crow pose. I am NOT a yoga person. But this pose looks SO COOL! I think it would be a great way to develop my upper body so I REALLY REALLY want to do this! I have looked at several videos on the internet to try to figure it out.....to no avail :(! I CANNOT seem to get past the initial lean onto my hands after the starting Frog pose. I just sort of rock forward for a second and can't get my feet off the ground :eek:. HELP!!!! :D

I have the same goal. This pose looks amazingly :cool:, but boy am I ever scared of it. I've just started taking a weekly Vinyasa class, so I hope to get to this point one day. I am not a yoga person either, but I find that I do enjoy the stretching very much. I am glad you asked this question nanbo. I am also eager to hear from others about this. TIA. :)

I regularly do the Baron Baptiste "Unlocking Athletic Power" routine that includes crow pose. I'm working up to hold it for the same time frame that he does. I always use a pillow in front of me because crow pose often ends in face plant pose.:rolleyes:

Yikes. What a way to celebrate a birthday! :eek: Happy Birthday!!!!!

Crow is hard. To master that pose I need to lose a couple of inches off my butt and gain them on my upper body instead. I use a yoga block for crow. I put it exactly where my forehead would land in case I lose my balance as you can see in this blog from this amazingly strong woman named Shelley Journey to Fit: A Fifty-Something's Weight Loss Journey: Wednesday Workout Update - Clothes and Crow I start with my forehead on the block and then hold crow for a few seconds and then rest my forehead on the block again trying to keep my feet and hands in crow position.:rolleyes::eek::p. There's also the baby crow where you leave one foot on the floor. You can work from baby crow up to crow, but you have to keep trying. I have seen modifications where people use blocks to raise their feet. Something like this (scroll down and you will see her bakasana tutorial) Bakasana Archives - Halfmoon

I hope this helps. :)

Edited to add: the link to the pictures of crow pose with a block. The blogger Shelley gave me permission to post it here :)

Last edited:
I regularly do the Baron Baptiste "Unlocking Athletic Power" routine that includes crow pose. I'm working up to hold it for the same time frame that he does. I always use a pillow in front of me because crow pose often ends in face plant pose.:rolleyes:

Omg I love love love (did I say love? Yes I did!) Baron Baptiste. I would love to get my old VHS favorites on DVD, but Collage doesn't have them anymore and Mary from totalfitnessDVDs doesn't have anything from Baron. I should check amazon and maybe I will get lucky. Soul of Strength from his live series is my favorite Baron workout ever.

:eek: Sideways?!?!?! Wow, wow, WOW!!!

Oh no no no. There's no freaking way I can do the crow sideways. I would need to lose at least 20 lbs of butt to even attempt it. :eek: Scroll down, way down, and you'll see her doing a tutorial for the "easier" version of crow which I can hold for a few seconds only, but I have to admit I don't practice it as I should. To master these poses it has to be attempted on a warm body on a daily or almost daily basis. Im thinking I should start practicing after the final stretch of all of my daily workouts even if they're not yoga. Maybe a couple of daily minutes devoted to mastering crow might help me get rid of the blocks after all.

Crow pose is something I've been considering lately. Thanks for all the suggestions. I think daily practice is a great idea. I love the links showing the steps to work towards the full crow pose. I'm going to give it a try & practice every day this week & see how far I get.

Just wanted to revive this post: I had worked my way up to holding the Crow for about a minute, but then I injured my elbow with bad form on band assisted pull-ups. It took several months of healing and during that time (and up til now, several years later!) I had forgotten about The Crow! Time to get back at it! Who else is on board?

Hurt my shoulder doing band pull ups a couple of years ago, still working on it.
Was doing crow back before all that too ( not super well but I could hold it for a bit once I was in the pose ) :p I'm in and on board will practice when I do my stretches and of course add it when I do Yoga Max and Relax !
Sure hope Cathe makes more Yoga workouts, and do the crow with her would be awesome ! :D:cool:

Okay, this is a lot harder than I remembered! So far I am still grounded; but I'm getting better at getting into position. Basically, I'm squatting really well! :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.