Spinning Bike for Home use/ Fly wheel

Hi Everyone,

I am doing some homework on spinning Bike for home use.

I have to choose between a 13kg/28.6 pound fly wheel and a larger 20kg/44 pound. Being a newbie in choosing my first bike, what difference would it make?

if possible I would like to have a bullet point list of elements to look for when making a purchase decision.

Kind Regards,

I bought a spin bike with a 30 lb. fly wheel. It is a fine bike - but the fly wheel weight isn't really tough enough for me. I think that after working out with Cathe for so many years, I'm much more strong than I thought I was. It took me only about 8-10 workouts to pretty much get used to the resistance (after my butt got used to the seat!).

I bought the Sunny 'http://www.amazon.com/Sunny-SF-B1001-Indoor-Cycling-Bike/dp/B003ZVHK04/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1390836703&sr=8-4&keywords=sunny+spin+bike' and it's pretty good for the money - but I should have purchased something with a more heavy fly wheel.

Obviously, I don't know your fitness level - but something tells me that you, too, would really prefer a heavier fly wheel.

Amazon.com: Sunny SF-B1110 Indoor Cycling Bike: Sports & Outdoors

THis is funny all of us getting the Sunny brand. I got the 44lb flywheel. THis is a new purchase for me.

I just did Cathe Ride and Petal Power with this bike. My quads were screaming LOL in a good way. The seat was a killer. I had butt bruise like pain after first workout. I had to get a good seat cover.

Amazon.com: Schwinn Adult Double Gel Bicycle Saddle Seat Cover: Sports & Outdoors

I went with the heavy wheel and this bike because it was the most similar to the more expensive bikes I was looking at but decided to go with economical just in case spin was not my thing - plus I have a house full of teen boys that I knew would be "playing on the thing" LOL

I'm so loving Spin that I want to do the thing everyday.

Hi Nathalie,
I purchased the Vision VO3 model which is commercial grade and a bit pricey but when I initially bought a lower end spinner from Sears I had nothing but problems and spent more time waiting for repairs to be done than actually spinning. I love my current bike and what I personally thought was important was: fly wheel weight of at least 40lbs, belt driven (as opposed to chain)- which both help in providing a smoother/ quieter ride along with excellent simulation of hill climbs IMO; seat and handle bars that adjust up/down/ forward/ backward. Funny thing was I'd never even taken a spinning class before purchasing this so it's a darn good thing I liked it! :eek: Happy shopping!

Thanks to you all ladies, you have been brilliant helping me out in my homework ;-)

Keep comments coming should you wish to add :)

Last edited:

Personally, I would pick the first one, mainly because it says it is belt driven (although the second one may be too, it doesn't specify) and has a slightly heavier flywheel. I recently threw out my first el cheapo chain driven spin bike with a 13kg flywheel as the noise it made was driving me batty so I would avoid using it - have sworn my next bike will be super-silent, have a heavier flywheel and be belt driven. I really can't imagine that the rear suspension would offer any great benefit but then again I haven't ridden a spin bike which has it so maybe it does make a difference. Are there any reviews for either of these bikes? Good luck with your decision and please report back to us once you've got your new bike!

Oh Ladies ;)

I went ahead finally ordered my first spin bike. I went for the second one based on feed backs. It's a belt driven. phew...:):) I like the design compared to the first one.

I am so Happy. I have been longing for a spin bike since cathe produced her first cycling dvd. All three cathe's pedals are collecting dust! I have attended classes and have been enjoying most of them so much.:cool:

Well now I need a gel cover to put on the saddle. I might need a padded thingy!!! lol:D:D:D I am thinking about the first excruciating pain on the saddle!;)

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Just to update---up today I still have not ridden my first home spinning bike. I had to return the one I ordered cause the quality was poor:(:(:(

I then requested for a replacement and got it delivered yesterday. Quality is much better. Now I just need to set it up. Could not get another belt driven transmission bike but I am hoping this one will be quiet:cool::cool:

Here is the one I received as replacement.

Body Sculpture BC 4612 Pro Racing Exercise Bike [Body Sculpture BC 4612 PRO Racing Style Exercise BikeRacing 'Studio' Style Exercise BikeLarge 18Kg FlywheelChain Driven Transmission SystemAdjustable Micro-Tension ControlPad BrakingAdjustable Saddle &

While we are on this topic of cycling, has any of you managed to get some result training legs?

Have you gained any endurance result, toning, definition through the usage of resistance knob or any other result?

Hope to hear from you ;)

Kind Regards,

Hi Everyone,

Just to update---up today I still have not ridden my first home spinning bike. I had to return the one I ordered cause the quality was poor:(:(:(

I then requested for a replacement and got it delivered yesterday. Quality is much better. Now I just need to set it up. Could not get another belt driven transmission bike but I am hoping this one will be quiet:cool::cool:

Here is the one I received as replacement.

Body Sculpture BC 4612 Pro Racing Exercise Bike [Body Sculpture BC 4612 PRO Racing Style Exercise BikeRacing 'Studio' Style Exercise BikeLarge 18Kg FlywheelChain Driven Transmission SystemAdjustable Micro-Tension ControlPad BrakingAdjustable Saddle &

While we are on this topic of cycling, has any of you managed to get some result training legs?

Have you gained any endurance result, toning, definition through the usage of resistance knob or any other result?

Hope to hear from you ;)

Kind Regards,

The first times I did Ride or Petal Power I couldn't do the jump stuff. My quads/hamstrings were protesting LOL. I've been doing these for about 6 weeks and totally upping the resistance and getting a great burn. I average about 500 calorie burn and my heart rate gets up to the same level as hiit on some of the intervals. My quads are more defined and my pants are more loose in the thighs (my thighs are my fat storage area) The only exercise previous to spinning that slim my thighs was running/jogging. Which I gave up do to ankle overuse injuries. I also started using a paper spin hiit routine from a magazine. It is brutal LOL.

If you haven't figure it out I love spin. I'm hoping Cathe puts a Hiit Spin video out soon. I can do the paper workouts but really like Cathe style any workout.

Thanks Cafelattee for sharing your result on spinning.

I too, would like to see Cathe produce a spinning Hiit.
I will be designing my own too.

I am looking forward to having fun and result from spinning:cool::):)

Hi Nathalie,
I definitely see a huge improvement in endurance and strength in my legs as well as cardiovascular fitness when used in conjunction with my regular workouts. I will say my thighs are slimmer but that can also be from eating better. I add spinning once weekly and have several DVD's I rotate through to change it up. Mindy Mylrea has some awesomely challenging DVD's that also include off the bike training in a circuit fashion to give you the added benefit of cross training. Her music is not as good as Cathe's but I'm working so hard I don't really notice! Good luck - and get that gel seat too...;)
Jamie

On and Off the bike

Hi Nathalie,
I definitely see a huge improvement in endurance and strength in my legs as well as cardiovascular fitness when used in conjunction with my regular workouts. I will say my thighs are slimmer but that can also be from eating better. I add spinning once weekly and have several DVD's I rotate through to change it up. Mindy Mylrea has some awesomely challenging DVD's that also include off the bike training in a circuit fashion to give you the added benefit of cross training. Her music is not as good as Cathe's but I'm working so hard I don't really notice! Good luck - and get that gel seat too...;)
Jamie

Thanks Jamie for your feedbacks on results gained. Slimmer legs as a gain is fantastic:):):) I like the on and off the bike circuit idea very much. Hmmm Can you imagine if Cathe come up with an interval consisting of the same concept, and minimal rest time basis.:eek: Now I am LMOL telling myself" Be careful what you are wishing for":D

I have the 3 Cathe spin DVds but have never had the opportunity to try them, but I've finally decided to buy a spinning bike. The comments here are very useful, thanks everyone. I'm still a little unclear as to what constitutes a spin bike. For example, i was checking these 2 on costco (http://www.costco.ca/Pro-Form®-Tour-de-France-Indoor-Cycle-.product.100014518.html) and (http://www.costco.ca/Mileage-Fitness-Formula-1-Commercial-Training-Bike.product.100130486.html) and the user comments state they are not spinning bikes. Why?? Anyone able to help me understand please? :)

Last edited:
I have the 3 Cathe spin DVds but have never had the opportunity to try them, but I've finally decided to buy a spinning bike. The comments here are very useful, thanks everyone. I'm still a little unclear as to what constitutes a spin bike. For example, i was checking these 2 on costco (http://www.costco.ca/Pro-Form®-Tour-de-France-Indoor-Cycle-.product.100014518.html) and (http://www.costco.ca/Mileage-Fitness-Formula-1-Commercial-Training-Bike.product.100130486.html) and the user comments state they are not spinning nikes. Why?? Anyone able to help me understand please? :)

Hi,

I saw the post hopping someone would reply to your question.
The flywheel must be connected to pedals and to be able to perform cathe's workout, there must be some resistance.
40 pounds heavy flywheel is the least i was told.

Hope this link below help

http://ask.metafilter.com/81620/Wha...spinning-and-regular-stationary-exercise-bike.

Off to do pedal power.

Last edited:
Thanks Nathalie. Still not clear to me why the costco bikes don't qualify. They seem to meet the criteria indicated here. Interesting read though, thanks for the link.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.