Foam Rollers?

I use a foam roller and like it. It's like self-massage. Beware though, just like when a sore/tight muscle is massaged it can be quite painful!:eek:

As for using it in an actual work out? Never heard that one before but I'd be interested to see what that's all about if you get more information!:)

Using a foam roller is one of the best things you can do for your muscles. You can use one before or after a workout but if you're only going to use it once, it's best to use it before (do a few rolls before your warm-up). I started using one several years ago when I was having some knee pain. Using the foam roller back then was intense...it hurt! But over time, it got easier (and more comfortable). Now I use a roller all the time and it doesn't hurt at all. If you experience any pain when using one, that's usually an indication that you need to use one more often. :)

I bought one from Perform Better years ago when I was running high mileage. It worked wonders on my IT band. But the other posters are correct ... a huge ouch factor! My kids hated when I used it because I would make such horrible noises ;)

I had an IT injury a couple of years ago and the foam roller helped it heal. It hurt like heck but it took the pain away. I use it frequently for rolling out my IT band and shins. I don't do an actual workout. I just roll out the areas that need it.

How to?

So does it come with instructions? I saw someone using it for pushups, otherwise clueless.

Most foam rollers don't come with instructions but you could do a quick YouTube search and find plenty of examples. Ironically, I'm about 2 weeks away from debuting my new fitness website and a video of me demonstrating the foam roller for the IT band will be one of the first videos I post.

When you use a roller, you could roll back and forth over a large area of your body but it's best to hover over a specific tender spot for as long as you can tolerate.

I wish someone would put out a good foam roller DVD---not a "workout" focused one, but one that gives you a self-massage session, with lots of pointers.

Mine came with a DVD with exercises that target certain muscle groups. It's like getting a massage from a sadistic physical therapist! I think I got mine at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Does anyone use these? I've heard they're good for both workouts and stretching. True?
I bought my foam roller on Amazon. There were a couple of books on foam rolling as well. One was "On A Roll @ Home," another was "Foam Roller Techniques for Massage, Stretches and Improved Flexibility." Hope this helps.

I use a foam roller after stretching, especially on days where I run 6 or more miles. I didn't start "foam rolling" until I became a runner, but any person who has experienced DOMS would benefit from foam rolling, and I think the best time to do it is when your muscles are warm, like right after a workout.

I also have a Addaday stick that is AWESOME for rolling all parts of my legs. I love Addaday products, Google that !@#$.

I'm looking forward to the instructional video from the earlier poster on how to roll the IT band. I usually concentrate on my hamstrings and calves, although I did use my foam roller last night against the wall for my back since I had to shovel twice this week and my entire back got DOMS from shoveling snow.

bigbadbrandini...I'm actually shooting my foam roller video tomorrow morning but it won't get posted online until after March 1st when my website goes live (which is dependent upon my photo shoot on Feb. 22nd...wish me luck!). I'll post a video link to this thread after my site launches.

I've never tried an addaday stick but it looks like it could really get some kinks out!

bigbadbrandini...I'm actually shooting my foam roller video tomorrow morning but it won't get posted online until after March 1st when my website goes live (which is dependent upon my photo shoot on Feb. 22nd...wish me luck!). I'll post a video link to this thread after my site launches.

I've never tried an addaday stick but it looks like it could really get some kinks out!

Please follow up on this post with a link to your website, I'll be sure to check it out! Thanks!

Does anyone use these? I've heard they're good for both workouts and stretching. True?

True. You can use them for pilates type workouts and to supplement stretching. Check out Kineticflix for videos that you can rent. There is one by Mike Boyle on technique that is on my list. Totalfitnessdvds has 2 pilates type workouts with long clips that will give you an idea of how they are used. Keli Roberts has a stretching video that I used when I first started using foam rollers. The production isn't great but the workout is good for learning what you can do with them.

My favorite IT band stretch is to stretch on my side (from right above the knee to almost hip bone) on the entire length of a half roller instead of rolling back and forth on the regular foam roller. I can apply as much of my bodyweight on the IT band as I can tolerate and hold it for 2 to 3 minutes or longer when I have time. It is like stretching the entire length of a rubber band. This stretch got rid of my lower back pain.

Lucy, if you wouldn't mind a quick question/request for help. I've discovered that my lower back/hip issues are likely due to extremely tight psoas. I've been trying to work out the trigger points w/a TP ball (lie on my stomach, ball 1-2 inches to the side of my navel, come up into a cobra pose to target it. Do you have any advice or should I just persist with what I'm doing.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.