Anyone done HC 3x per wk and no weights?

tralaiven

Cathlete
I am wondering what my next rotation will be since I just finished STS double time.... I am thinking about doing Horizontal Conditioning 3x per week and then cardio 3x per week ....having HC being my strength training....

However, I am not sure about this....I like to lift weights, and I don't want to go backwards...but I Know that HC is killer...so I will probably get stronger...what do you think? Have you or are you doing some sort of schedule like this?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I did HC twice per week and had amazing upper body results. My arms and back were lean and defined. My upper body always got too muscular for my liking when I lifted weights. HC really helped with that. I would do 2 of the HC hardcore workouts, 1 leg day, and 2-3 cardio days. If your looking to have muscle size on your arms, I don't think HC will provide that.

I did HC twice per week and had amazing upper body results. My arms and back were lean and defined. My upper body always got too muscular for my liking when I lifted weights. HC really helped with that. I would do 2 of the HC hardcore workouts, 1 leg day, and 2-3 cardio days. If your looking to have muscle size on your arms, I don't think HC will provide that.

I normally have wide shoulders and a broad back so I like to do light weights for shoulders and back, but would like definition in my bis and tris. But I like your suggestion... And maybe for my leg day I will add those there. I also like the idea of HC 2x per week, as the workouts are VERY challenging for me.

Thanks

Hi Tracy ,
I've never done HC , so I hope you don't mind the change of subject , but I'm so interested in how you liked your STS doubles ! I ask because I'm playing around with some ideas for rotations for when I finish Xtrain and I want the structure to be based on strength training each muscle group twice a week . Did you feel like your strength gains and definition were much improved this way ? Did it seem like too much at times ? One of the many things I have enjoyed about Xtrain is the bonus burn sets and 100 rep challenges because adding them really gives you the option to hit those muscles more than once a week . I'd really like to hear your thoughts on the subject !
Thanks ,
Kate

Hi Tracy ,
I've never done HC , so I hope you don't mind the change of subject , but I'm so interested in how you liked your STS doubles ! I ask because I'm playing around with some ideas for rotations for when I finish Xtrain and I want the structure to be based on strength training each muscle group twice a week . Did you feel like your strength gains and definition were much improved this way ? Did it seem like too much at times ? One of the many things I have enjoyed about Xtrain is the bonus burn sets and 100 rep challenges because adding them really gives you the option to hit those muscles more than once a week . I'd really like to hear your thoughts on the subject !
Thanks ,
Kate

I really liked the structure that this "double time"STS offered. However, as you said, it was a bit much for me sometimes...not really physically, but time-wise it did get hard to fit in all 6 STS workouts and then 2 more cardio...so what I did was cut down to 5 sts and 2 cardios. that really seemed to do it for me.

Now in terms of strength gains, I can tell you that I definitely made some strength gains. However, in terms of weight loss...forget about it..it just didn't happen for me as I was hoping. Hope that helps.

It really does help . I've been reading a bit about this approach vs. once a week and it's really something I'd like to pursue . Thanks !

When I first started HC about a year ago I did it 3x/week. And I had to do it for MONTHS 3x/week before it finally got "easier" (which is like waiting for HiiT to some day be easy). Just did HC and cardio and I got really good results. My arms looked great and my physical therapist was most impressed with my core strength. After taking a break from it I did it again a few weeks ago and my arms gave out before my core did :)

I love weights, but have to say after doing STS I ended up with more bulk that I wanted.

Hope that helps. Was trying to decide what workout to do today - think it'll be HC!

Jen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.