For Fellow Slow Runners

elsie3

Cathlete
Probably the only time I will pass other runners: I went running on the trail by my home yesterday and ended up in the tail end of a Memorial Day Classic. I was on a 4-mile tempo run, they were finishing up a half-marathon. ;)

You go snail girl!!! Anytime I pass anybody I celebrate...marathoners, military with full packs a pass is a pass..... .I just keep telling myself I'm building my aerobic base....

It is so funny that you posted this today....because today I was out running my 4 mile route (I just started back up again 2 weeks ago). And I always have to talk to myself to tell myself it is ok to just go slow and do what you can....that I am not racing anyone....

So today I got into mile 1.5 and up popped 2 runners about 50 feet ahead of me. Actually, they had just started running and were going at a pretty good clip. I tried to catch them and wanted to pass them but it just wasn't happening, so I had to tell myself to just let them go...that slow and steady wins the race, that it was all right to just do what you can, but it was so hard for me!

Anyway, about a mile up the road, there they were...walking....and I just passed them by on my slow and steady run! Just had to smile to myself....!!! They were just going too fast and only had a mile in them....they never passed me after that.

I was so glad too because when I started out 2 weeks ago, my rate was a 12.5 minute mile......pretty slow...but today I was so thankful to meet my goal of a 10 minute mile (its slow but it's my new slow :) )

Last edited:
I ran my first marathon in 2010 and I remember thinking as I passed people, I saw them a while ago (or should I say the back of them). I'm into the slow and steady method as well.

I'm into 5K and 10K races now, that marathon and the half marathon I completed training for the marathon are not likely to be repeated. I wasn't built for distance running ;)

but today I was so thankful to meet my goal of a 10 minute mile (its slow but it's my new slow :) )

Tracy,

I'm curious why you think a 10 minute mile is slow? It might not be as fast as a 8 or 9 minute mile, but it's certainly not slow.

I stopped calling myself "slow" a long time ago. I did that for years. Slow is only slow when you call it that. Running is running, and speed is irrelevant (unless you're trying to win a race).

I run a 10 minute mile and do it with lots of steep hills to climb. Sometimes going up those hills I feel like I'm running through mud, especially when the heat and humidity is very bad, but I'll never, ever call myself slow! :)

Good job on the running!

Very well said Jeanne...:)

Yes, I used to be faster, but hey I am still out there running and whenever I pass someone it does make me smile!! I saw this bumper sticker one day and thought it was so true: "The older I get, the faster I used to be"....

Very well said Jeanne...:)

Yes, I used to be faster, but hey I am still out there running and whenever I pass someone it does make me smile!! I saw this bumper sticker one day and thought it was so true: "The older I get, the faster I used to be"....

Thanks, Carole!

I just hate to see anybody downplay their running. The only "slow" I can think of is just sitting in a chair. ;)

I think that bumper sticker is funny! I'm not a fan of "bragging" bumper stickers, like the ones that say "13.1" or "26.2", but I saw one recently that made me smile. It said "0.0"! Hee hee! :cool:

Kudos to all you runners! Fast or slow you ALL amaze me. I can't run. I don't know how you do it. My 16 YO DD wanted me to run with her this spring. Down to the stop sign and back is almost 1 mile ~ walk/run intervals? I have to walk most of it. I get sooo out of breath. :( I love Cathe and a good hard bike ride, but I just can't run! I look up to all of you.

Kudos to all you runners! Fast or slow you ALL amaze me. I can't run. I don't know how you do it. My 16 YO DD wanted me to run with her this spring. Down to the stop sign and back is almost 1 mile ~ walk/run intervals? I have to walk most of it. I get sooo out of breath. :( I love Cathe and a good hard bike ride, but I just can't run! I look up to all of you.

Thanks, Mary!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.