How to clean stainless steel?

fitdeb

Cathlete
I am so excited, my new stainless steeel appliances were delivered yesterday, finally!

However, the delivery personnel left tons of smudges and fingerprints all over them. I tried a stainless steel "pop-up towelette" cleaner but now the finish looks streaky. :(

Any suggestions on the best way to clean stainless? I am kind of nervous to try anything else.

Thanks for your help,

Debbie Russo

I clean my stainless steel appliances with organic dishwasing cleanser (like Earth Friendly Products) or white vinegar mixed with a little water.

I use Weiman Stainless Steel Wipes. But I've also used other sprays that are all made especially for Stainless Steel. Just go to your nearest Hardware store or a Lowes or Home Depot etc.

But don't use anything that is not made especially for Stainless - water streaks as well.

WD40. Really. The salesman told me that's what they use on all of their appliances in the store to keep them shiny and more fingerprint resistant. I've been using it for over a year now, and it works great.

my step mom uses a special stainless steel spray from fuller brush and and a soft cloth. It really works fabulously.

WD40. Really. The salesman told me that's what they use on all of their appliances in the store to keep them shiny and more fingerprint resistant. I've been using it for over a year now, and it works great.

I'll have to try this!
My SS appliances not only have finger prints, but have doggy nose prints at the bottom.:eek:

This is what I use and what my builder told me works the best!

I make my own spray--approximately 1 part rubbing alcohol to 2-3 parts water and then several drops of lavender oil. I kind of eyeball it. I put it in a spray bottle that used to hold windex. Oh, and I was surprised to find my regular grocery store carries little bottles of lavender oil (among others) in the "natural" products section. Originally thought I might have to go to whole foods for that. (I buy rubbing alcohol from sam's club or costco.)

The spray is cheap and works great on my granite counters and stainless steel dishwasher, microwave, toaster, and oven front. Got the recipe from thsgardenweb forums. Doesn't work as well if you've got stuck on grease or other cruddy stuff, but for everything else is perfect. Not sure how well it repels future fingerprints. (For my granite, I use this on a daily basis but still use an official granite cleaner/polish every 1-2 weeks.)

Pledge & a soft, clean cloth. Pledge is much cheaper than Stainless Steal Cleaners and it works just as good IMHO.

Pam

Glad somebody asked this question b/c I now have SS appliances and am experiencing the same problem.

I will try WD40 and Pledge to see how it works.

Thank you ladies for all the recommendations :)

Footprints

Our new apartment doesn't have SS anymore and actually I'm kinda glad. I was a bit OCD about smudges & finger & foot prints. Yes- footprints. When my DS was younger, he used to hang on the fridge doors :eek:- don't worry, it was built in so it couldn't fall on top of him. Thankfully the little monkey outgrew that stage! LOL!!

I think it depends on the stainless steel you have. Some of my appliances are really impossible to get streak-free. I use a clean, water dampened cloth and wipe in the direction of the steel grain then use a dry one to wipe or *fan* it dry. I look like an idiot doing that! Water has always done well for me.

Try the Mystic Maid micro fiber cloth. It's far superior to others I have tried and works beautifully on stainless steel, mirrors, granite counter tops, etc. everybody I have given one to has become as addicted to them as me. AND it cleans with just water! AND they clean up grease (yes, with just water)! And no, I don't own stock in the company.

Enjoy your new appliances!

Try the Mystic Maid micro fiber cloth. It's far superior to others I have tried and works beautifully on stainless steel, mirrors, granite counter tops, etc. everybody I have given one to has become as addicted to them as me. AND it cleans with just water! AND they clean up grease (yes, with just water)! And no, I don't own stock in the company.

Enjoy your new appliances!

Oh perfect! Thanks for this! I had to edit this...where do they come up with names like that? Mystic Maid...? How about Magic Man, like Mr. Clean. Sorry this is my morning coffee buzz talking.

Oh perfect! Thanks for this! I had to edit this...where do they come up with names like that? Mystic Maid...? How about Magic Man, like Mr. Clean. Sorry this is my morning coffee buzz talking.

You're welcome, and I have no idea where they got the name, but it does clean mystically. Oh, I forgot to add how amazing it is for windows! No streaks, cleans quickly....ah, I love them. You know, I haven't bought any in a couple years. Perhaps it's time to replenish my stock. I'm always afraid they'll stop,producing them or downgrade the quality. Anyway, accept no substitutes. :)

I have GE applicances but the stainless finish is different on them. For the fridge, I just use a microfiber cloth and water, sometimes a little dawn dishwashing if that doesn't do it. For the stove and microwave I use Weiman's spray cleaner and a MF cloth. However, the finishes are all different. The part above the stove with the knobs is very nice-cleans up beautifully-and has a duller finish. The lowest oven drawer is very shiny and impossible to get streak free. So weird.
For my stainless sink I also use Weimans although I "seasoned" it with a lot of canola oil when I first got it (plumber's advice.) It changed it from a shiny to a dull finish, which I wasn't real happy about but at least water stains show a lot less on the dull finish. Hmmm..maybe I should try oil or WD40 on the lower oven to convert it from shiny to dull and less streak prone.
Beth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.