Joe Paterno

Ann Marie

Cathlete
ok, I know he was a great coach, but I can't stop thinking that he had a moral obligation to report to the police. I think that all involved need to go! I can't stop thinking about it maybe because I have three children, and my Christopher is 9! the whole thing makes me sick!
Ann Marie

I too am a parent of two wonderful children and also a Penn State graduate. I totally agree with you. What Sandusky did was horrific, disgusting, I can't even find more words to describe. What the victims and their families have gone through, and will continue to go through is horrible. There is no excuse for Curly and Schultz not reporting it to the police. There is no excuse for Spanier not questioning and taking further action. And yes, when Joe saw that those who should have reported it were not going to he should have stepped in. Just horrible.

They all need to go to jail. Every.last.one.of.them. Period. They all had responsibilities to turn that into the police and no one did. I hope they can live with this for the rest of their lives.

The more I read the more appauled I become. How do you see something like that happen and not say anything to the police about it? Un-freakin-believable. :mad:

I'm glad Paterno got fired. McQueary needs to go too, he was the one who witnessed it first hand.

I'm glad Paterno got fired. McQueary needs to go too, he was the one who witnessed it first hand.[/QUOTE]

I AGREE!!!!! I don't understand why it's different for him???? He should have done more! I don't get it.

ITA!

Since McQueary (a 28 yo man) lacked the basic human instinct to 1) stop the rape of a 10 yo child and 2) call the police, Mr. Honor himself (Joe Pa) should have called the cops and gone to them w/ McQueary once he heard what happened.

Once Joe Pa & his cronies swept it under the rug, McQueary still could have gone to the police & reported what he saw. No, he didn't & that's why he got promoted thru the Penn State coaching ranks. Nothing says teamwork more than covering up child sexual abuse.

For Paterno to LIE afterwards & say that McQueary didn't tell him he witnessed the rape of a child, but rather "horsing around" made me furious!!

BTW, what the hell is wrong w/ McQueary's father?! Geez, he could have told his son to go to the cops first--not Paterno!!

For those who don't know the timeline & details, read this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/opinion/dowd-personal-foul-at-penn.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

I can't believe it took Penn State 2 or 3 days to actually fire Paterno after this all came to light! What the heck? And the other day when Paterno came out and said he would "retire" at the end of the season, I was appalled! He actually thought he could just coast off into the sunset at the time and manner of his choosing. Wrong!

Another thing that is disturbing to me is the way the students are acting. From the reports I've seen there is rioting in support of Paterno. What is there to support? His failure to report what he knew about such a horrific crime negates any and all good he did there over the years. Sorry, but that's the way it works.

My heart goes out to those young boys who were victimized.

OMG!! I have a wonderful 8 year old boy and am totally insensed by the fact that not only did he do those horrific things that so many said/did nothing about it. As a mom I would go after him with every ounce of my being!!! :mad:

Bless the hearts, minds, bodies and souls of those victims!!! May they have peace eventually.

i agree

ITA!

Since McQueary (a 28 yo man) lacked the basic human instinct to 1) stop the rape of a 10 yo child and 2) call the police, Mr. Honor himself (Joe Pa) should have called the cops and gone to them w/ McQueary once he heard what happened.

Once Joe Pa & his cronies swept it under the rug, McQueary still could have gone to the police & reported what he saw. No, he didn't & that's why he got promoted thru the Penn State coaching ranks. Nothing says teamwork more than covering up child sexual abuse.

For Paterno to LIE afterwards & say that McQueary didn't tell him he witnessed the rape of a child, but rather "horsing around" made me furious!!

BTW, what the hell is wrong w/ McQueary's father?! Geez, he could have told his son to go to the cops first--not Paterno!!

For those who don't know the timeline & details, read this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/opinion/dowd-personal-foul-at-penn.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

all I can think of if I saw that happen, I would have screamed at him and called 911! horrific for those boys! and I believe it will affect them forever, reminds me of the Catholic Church, trying to sweep it under the rug! Shame on them all!
Ann Marie

Torture!!

That's what child molestation should be called. Everyone should show their anger and disgust. BTW according to a piece on I think "Good morning America" today Elizabeth Smart and another lady both who were sexually molested said this is the FASTEST growing crime today. Driven by their own disgusting lust predators , pedaphiles. The public outrage will hopefully grow and grow. ENOUGH already with all the adulation of coaches, sports stars and any kind of celebrity or politician etc.. Did anyone think about the young children? The fear they felt? BTW..I was molested as a kid 3years old and you never forget. Forgiveness came years later but I never forgot.

I agree that everyone that had any involvement with this should be fired. No matter how little their roll in it. To not report something like that to the police is just unimaginable to me. :mad: :mad: :mad:

What I don't get, is all these people (college students mostly) protesting against the school firing Joe Paterno. :confused: Really? You'd rather have your precious football team, then protect innocent children? Something is really wrong with this society. :(

Heads should continue to roll for everyone involved. There is no excuse for not reporting this to the authorities.

Jonahnah :)

Many, many (((((((((((hugs)))))))))) to you fitatfifty.

Thank-you!!
Sexual molestation does change who you are. Especially in young children. You loose your identity and cannot mature emotionally for years. Because of guilt, shame & just being able to sort your thoughts out and try to grasp what happened. But forgiveness is wonderful & freeing!! It is also the most powerful weapon for self. PEACE. Nobody can take away that away. I'm so thankful for it.

I agree that everyone that had any involvement with this should be fired. No matter how little their roll in it. To not report something like that to the police is just unimaginable to me. :mad: :mad: :mad:

What I don't get, is all these people (college students mostly) protesting against the school firing Joe Paterno. :confused: Really? You'd rather have your precious football team, then protect innocent children? Something is really wrong with this society. :(

Well said Jennie!

Does anyone know if the families reported this to the police after the assaults? I'm wondering if the kids were threatened to not tell so the parents didn't know? My heart goes out to the victims and their families. I've got three boys and if someone did this to them it would kill me.

That Sandusky makes my skin crawl when I've seen him on TV...gross, disgusting monster. It's just so sad that predators can get away w/ the crimes on children they are committing b/c others would actually cover it up for them. I hope they are all sent to prison and that Sandusky is locked away so he can never get near another child.

According to the Grand Jury report there were two parents who knew and reported it to authorities. In one case the parent reported it to the high school of the boy and that school reported it to authorities.

It is sickening that one of the incidents reported to authorities was way back in 1998. So many victims could have been spared. I don't know much about the legal system, but I really can't understand why the District Attorney couldn't do anything and closed the case? There wasn't a rape in that case, but still the police recorded a conversation between the boys mother and Sandusky where he admitted that what he did was wrong and said he wished he were dead. If only they could have sent him away 13 years ago.

That's what child molestation should be called. Everyone should show their anger and disgust. BTW according to a piece on I think "Good morning America" today Elizabeth Smart and another lady both who were sexually molested said this is the FASTEST growing crime today. Driven by their own disgusting lust predators , pedaphiles. The public outrage will hopefully grow and grow. ENOUGH already with all the adulation of coaches, sports stars and any kind of celebrity or politician etc.. Did anyone think about the young children? The fear they felt? BTW..I was molested as a kid 3years old and you never forget. Forgiveness came years later but I never forgot.

Fitatfitfy, you're not alone. I too, was molested as a child. It's taken me many years to forgive the person that did this to me. And sometimes I wonder if I have fully forgiven this person. It kind of makes me wonder if I had not been molested, if I would be a different person today. :confused: If I would of wanted kids and wanted to get married.

P.S. I've been a member of Cathe's forums for years, but didn't want to post under my original name. :)

I agree with everybody on this thread that the law should be pursued to the max, in nailing everybody at PSU who knew about the sexual mosestations on and off campus. We should not forget Mr. Sandusky, who set up a CHILDRENS charity -- and used the charity to abuse young boys. He deserves the fullest punishment possible.

What is done is done -- but if anything, Mr. Paterno and his cronies who knew about this abuse will soon realize that their once stellar careers and supposed fame are now simply destroyed. They will live in shame. As well, they will be facing civil suits and enourmous lawyers' fees for the rest of their lives. I am glad that they will.

p.s. I was born and raised in western PA, and have family in central PA not far from State College, and they are all saddened and disgusted with this.
-- David

Hi Tiggertoo ((HUGS))

Fitatfitfy, you're not alone. I too, was molested as a child. It's taken me many years to forgive the person that did this to me. And sometimes I wonder if I have fully forgiven this person. It kind of makes me wonder if I had not been molested, if I would be a different person today. :confused: If I would of wanted kids and wanted to get married.

P.S. I've been a member of Cathe's forums for years, but didn't want to post under my original name. :)

The pain and confusion & anger goes deep. Sometimes it rears it's ugly head just when you think your fine. But moments flash within our lives that trigger those emotions all over again. That's why forgiveness is an on going process. It's within these pivotal emotional moments ( fear, shame, anger)that we allow to come and then they do go away. They begin to loose their power because we grow and mature in hind sight. I hope I'm making sense?? Your healing is what changes you for the better. You wonder if you have fully forgiven. That is a huge burden to place upon yourself because you can't control those involuntary emotions. Forgive by really concentrating on yourself & who you are. Allow me to share a bit about me. I was sexually molested for 3 years as both my parents were alcoholics & they abandoned me physically & emotionally.
It was not until I was in my late 30's that I finally got professional help and the Doctor showed me that I was paralyzed emotionally as a survival need but I could only concentrate on the abuser and not on my own needs & growth because of the shame & confusion& guilt. I was SO CONFUSED all the time. I was in an emotional FREEZE!
I started to write down what happened, every detail, every negative feeling and it opened doors for me for the first time ever. Doors of understanding & freedom, yes it was very freeing. I finally understood that I am a worthy loving kind human being. Key word here 'worthy" Forgiveness has been the best teacher and life changer for me. Forgiveness releases the most unbearable stress that we as humans are not created to carry. It has taught me empathy & gratitude & compassion & a peace that is like my very own private weapon.
Tiggertoo, you are in my prayers for continued healing & freedom & peace that passes all understanding. HTH

The pain and confusion & anger goes deep. Sometimes it rears it's ugly head just when you think your fine. But moments flash within our lives that trigger those emotions all over again. That's why forgiveness is an on going process. It's within these pivotal emotional moments ( fear, shame, anger)that we allow to come and then they do go away. They begin to loose their power because we grow and mature in hind sight. I hope I'm making sense?? Your healing is what changes you for the better. You wonder if you have fully forgiven. That is a huge burden to place upon yourself because you can't control those involuntary emotions. Forgive by really concentrating on yourself & who you are. Allow me to share a bit about me. I was sexually molested for 3 years as both my parents were alcoholics & they abandoned me physically & emotionally.
It was not until I was in my late 30's that I finally got professional help and the Doctor showed me that I was paralyzed emotionally as a survival need but I could only concentrate on the abuser and not on my own needs & growth because of the shame & confusion& guilt. I was SO CONFUSED all the time. I was in an emotional FREEZE!
I started to write down what happened, every detail, every negative feeling and it opened doors for me for the first time ever. Doors of understanding & freedom, yes it was very freeing. I finally understood that I am a worthy loving kind human being. Key word here 'worthy" Forgiveness has been the best teacher and life changer for me. Forgiveness releases the most unbearable stress that we as humans are not created to carry. It has taught me empathy & gratitude & compassion & a peace that is like my very own private weapon.
Tiggertoo, you are in my prayers for continued healing & freedom & peace that passes all understanding. HTH

Thank you.

I've never thought of doing that, but the thought of it scares the crap out of me. :confused:

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread. :)

Does anyone know how light was shed on this? My mom said it was a reporter who kept putting articles in the paper but was getting ignored. She said he wrote something that got the attention of police or DA or something and the investigation began. Anyone here how this came to the media attention and then to us?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.