Now I am angry...

Dela

Cathlete
Maybe I don't get it, why do we ship SO many jobs off shore, but all day today I see Obama talking about how he is at a loss at how to create more jobs, what???? Stop sending them off shore is a good start.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I don't think this can be fixed by Obama. I often wonder why companies ship jobs overseas. Is it because the company leaders are greedy and want to make the most money possible? Is it because we (American workers) want too much money, benefits, etc? Unless a vast majority of people insist on only "Made in America" products and boycott foreign goods, it will keep happening. I also don't see that happening. Why is WalMart taking over the country and driving little mom and pop shops out of business? Because people want cheap and easy. I cannot think of anything that is completely made in America anymore. Even Harley Davidson, the epitome of American horsepower, style, open road riding, etc. has parts made in China. Very sad!

Carrie

I've discussed this with my dad - in his 60's. I believe he's right - Americans want their/our inexpensive tvs, dvds, clothes etc. but in the long run we don't see what it's costing us. I've challenged myself to shop local and it costs more. Companies can have things made inexpensively in other countries. My DH works in pharmaceauticals and the stories about certain things (especially supplements that aren't regulated here) being made in open-air facilities w/ contamination is incredibly. But we want to go to Wal-Mart - or wherever - and expect to purchase electronics, clothes and whatever and a "good price." What's the real price folks? And I'm not being superior - I'm as guilty as anyone.

Jen

OK, I do get it, the companies save a ton of money by shipping off shore whether for manufacturing, development work, tax prep, call centers, etc. But it still is frustrating to watch the news and see that same clip over and over about so many people out of work.

TAXES

They leave because they're taxed to death. Also, yes, they have cheap labor overseas, therefore, saving even more. Look at the unions and how much money they throw at politicians. Has anyone even considered what unions are doing to the cost of business as well!?

Start reading labels and buy American as much as possible. Stop shopping Wallyworld, even if it hurts, that company has done more to destroy the corner store then anything else, all the while using clever marketing of giving you a better life and flying the flag. Start sending emails to companies that outsource and shame on the television show itself *Outsourced*. I find it incredible that NBC can make a comedy out of displacing American workers. Nothing like the gullible American audience, just get them to laugh and eventually they'll accept the millions of outsourced jobs. Until its yours, that is.

He went to India to bring back jobs. According to the reports he's bringing back 50,000 plus. When I say bringing back I mean India is going to purchase goods from US companies. That is the main purpose of the trip.

I would also like to mention that prior to the mid-terms Democrats introduced a bill to stop giving tax breaks to companies that outsource jobs. It was voted down. Want to get angry some more? WI, OH and NJ were given hundreds of millions of dollars EACH to go towards light rail construction and infrastructure. Each of the governors for those states said, NO! There goes thousands of jobs. And new OH gov won't sign a law preventing outsourcing in his state.

Another reason? more jobs can't be created here until demand increases. If we're not buying, businesses won't be hiring. but I'm broke, so I can't help anyone.

What politicians are too scared to tell you is that many of those 8 million jobs lost between 2001-2008 aren't coming back. We have to look towards new industries, but the old and dying industries have a death grip on our members of congress so the economy is moving slower than it should.

They leave because they're taxed to death. Also, yes, they have cheap labor overseas, therefore, saving even more. Look at the unions and how much money they throw at politicians. Has anyone even considered what unions are doing to the cost of business as well!?

Tsk. Tsk. Don't be fooled. The US has the 8th lowest corporate tax rates in the world at 28%. Average is 36%. Denmark at 59% - that's a lot. US corporations have plenty of loopholes, offshore accounts and lawyers to prevent them from paying all the taxes they owe to the government.

Unions are the reason why we have 8 hour work days, vacations, sick days, benefits and they are reason why our 8 year old children aren't working long hours in factories. Right now I wish I had a union job. What I see in the want ads is appalling. Companies are looking for bilingual applicants who know about 8 computer programs to do entry level work. I saw one ad that wanted someone who spoke Korean and Spanish - huh? Seriously, where do you find that person? I used to think internships taught you their business, now they are asking that you already know all the things that they are supposed to teach you.

I just saw a depressing fact today that our wages (when adjusted for inflation) has gone down or stayed the same since 1978! 1978! We are basically making less money than our parents. American workers are being ripped off and I could care less about corporations and their tax complaints and their record bonuses and the fact that they are sitting on 1 trillion dollars and not hiring is infuriating.

Here is a another perspective on the issue. I dont mean to be contentious, so if my opinion gives offense, I apologise in advance. My only intention is to offer an idea for your consideration if you think it is one-sided to ship jobs overseas.

Obama is currently in India where he inked a large reciprocal bilateral trade deal.

The world is the market for American brands. Most of the profit when a transnational corporation sells globally flows into the country where it is headquartered, irrespective of where some jobs are outsourced.

The four biggest markets in terms of population in the world are China, India, USA and then Indonesia. With the population and economic growth rate of China, India and Indonesia, USA is not just giving jobs away but creating new ones inside her shores from international trade.

From McDonalds to Nike to Maybelline to more upmarket brands, you will find almost all consumer goods from USA available widely in any shopping mall anywhere in the world today.

In my childhood we had India-made computers and cars and cosmetics and electronics. Today amost all those Indian brands are dead. I am an Indian who owns an iPad and a Hewlett-Packard computer. All my workouts DVDs (including Yoga which was born in India) are produced in USA. I use a German car and a Korean phone. I bank with the local Citibank. This is the result of globalization. The companies that can produce the best products that optimise quality and cost will be able to sell them across the world.

I buy into the notion that in a few years the concepts of "country" and "patriotism" will change to be more world encompassing. Our future generations will see "community" in a much more inclusive and expansive sense.

Tsk. Tsk. Don't be fooled. The US has the 8th lowest corporate tax rates in the world at 28%. Average is 36%. Denmark at 59% - that's a lot.

According to Wikipedia Denmark's corporate tax rate is 25%, USA's federal tax code is progressive so corportate tax is between 15 and 35% plus between 0 and 12% for state tax.

You know, the big factor everyone either ignores or forgets here is tariffs. Companies like China & India have HUGE import taxes (China up to 240% on certain goods), which makes purchasing imported goods outrageously expensive. And, of course, their export taxes are very low, which encourages manufacture & overseas business.

Compare that to the US, which has little to no import taxes. That's what makes goods that are already made w/cheaper labor even less expensive than they would be with a true import tax. We Americans love to save money while we're spending it, so we've continued to boost other countries' economies while harming our own.

This reduction in import taxes has been going on for about a century, & IMO is probably the main thing that did away w/true manufacturing in our country. I don't think it has anything to do w/party policies, did Bush do this or did Obama do that. It's been an ongoing international trade policy that goes back to the days of Wilson, maybe even TR.

It'd be nice to buy American. Too bad we don't make anything here anymore, other than white money. :confused:

speaking of buying american...

I purchased a new canister vacum this summer and it is a Riccar that is made in St. James, MO. It was very pricey! Everytime I get it out I think "I can't believe I paid $700 for this thing!". But it works better than any I've ever had. So, if your in the market for a new vacum you might check them out. Mine has a 5 yr warranty.

Susan

I was not even thinking about the manufacturing when I posted this, but all of the off shore technology and call center jobs. I believe the sole reason for this is because it saves our companies a ton of money, I have seen the rates we pay consultants here vs. off shore and it is quite a savings. I suppose in the end, it's not different than off shore manufacturing, if the companies can save money, wherever it is they are saving, it makes the company more competitive, and I suppose those savings are passed on to the public (maybe).

Last edited:
During the prior president's administration, changes in tax and other corporate laws made it encouraging to corporations to ship jobs overseas. The current administration has not been able to reverse all of these changes yet.

Until we stop shopping at Wal-Mart and start demanding Made in the US goods, this isn't going to change soon. People don't want to spend money on quality - they want their stuff in high volume, as cheap as possible, which requires cheap (often exploited) labor. How many people here would be willing to spend an extra 10-20 bucks on their next Step? So Cathe selected a Chinese manufacturer for her goods. If we don't hold corporations feet to the fire, they have no incentive to change - especially when the tax incentives encourage them to go oversees, as well. Cheaper costs means a greater profit margin for them. In the late '90s corporations were given huge tax incentives to move their call centers, etc. overseas. We have to create incentives for them to stay here - but politics always gets in the way of rational thought. We also, as a nation, have given up on the idea of "production" in favor of "consumption." That, too, has to change. We need to want to make stuff. Like most major problems we're facing today, this is not one that is going to have an easy fix or a quick resolution.

Maybe I don't get it, why do we ship SO many jobs off shore, but all day today I see Obama talking about how he is at a loss at how to create more jobs, what???? Stop sending them off shore is a good start.
I can think of some public transit systems starved for stimulus money and talented workers who can help improve systems, cut down on pollution, and make millions of lives easier...but that would be too much to ask I suppose.

During the prior president's administration, changes in tax and other corporate laws made it encouraging to corporations to ship jobs overseas. The current administration has not been able to reverse all of these changes yet.

That is actually what I was wondering about, I was not sure if it was only the savings in labor, but I thought I had heard there were even tax incentives for shipping the jobs offshore.

That is actually what I was wondering about, I was not sure if it was only the savings in labor, but I thought I had heard there were even tax incentives for shipping the jobs offshore.

Yes, there were tax incentives. There still might be, I'm not sure, but if there are, corporations seem to know that these incentives won't be around for much longer. For example, Intel announced last month that they are going to build a $6 billion new plant in Oregon; they have plants all over the world, and it is costing them more to build it in the U.S. than overseas, but the political winds have shifted, and somehow they've figured out that investing in the U.S. is in their best interest.

I can think of some public transit systems starved for stimulus money and talented workers who can help improve systems, cut down on pollution, and make millions of lives easier...but that would be too much to ask I suppose.

Amen to that! I work for local govmt & I know "stimulus" is a dirty word, but it does work.............we've had a number of capital projects funded through ARRA. Yep, they were "shovel ready" & they employed hundreds of people.

OK I was trying very hard to stay nonpolitical, but Bobbi-b is right. A bill was introduced that provided tax incentives for companies that kept jobs in the US this session, but it was blocked. :(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.