Again, with the running...(Training questions)

Stephanie0523

Cathlete
Sorry, I know I've beaten this horse to death, but I'm desperate... so HELP!!!

OK, I'm running in a 5-mile run in... ONE MONTH!!! It's my first ever run. Problem is, I don't feel like I'm ready. But I don't want to give up on this. I'll feel like a failure, and it's really important to me. My husband, the runner, has been very sweet, telling me it's a run/walk, so I'll run then walk and all will be well... But I want to run the entire thing... So I need help from my fellow Cathletes!

Can anyone out there help me design a training rotation? Just to let you know what I have as far as DVDs: I recently ordered some new DVDs that I thought would be good to mix in with my running days... like Jackie Warner's new timesaver (it can be done on running days because it's only 30 minutes long) and, don't laugh, but Marissa Tomei's workout, which I think looks great, but haven't tried yet... I also have ordered Cathe's Muscle Max and already have lots of Cathe DVDs, of course (but no step, though--I'm clumsy), Cardio Barre, yoga, etc...

Anyone feel like helping me out? I'd be VERY grateful!!!

Also, any of you guys who have trained for a run before, how have you changed your diet during that time? I know I need to make some major changes in that department, unless candy corn and wine are optimum runners' foods.... :eek:

I'd appreciate any help out there!! Thanks!!!

Stephanie,

What has been your run history to date? I mean, what have you been doing the last x months in terms of frequency / duration / intensity? What's your current longest long run?

In GENERAL, I'd advise running 4x/week, with one of them being a long run (whatever "long" means for you, building up to that 5 mile distance if you aren't already there), the other 3 consisting of 2 moderate/easy runs of a moderate distance for you, and the last being something different - something like fartleks or hill running.

As far as DVD's go, I'd just do whatever you like doing that supports, but doesn't hinder your running. You'll only improve your running by .... running. That said, if you have only been running 2x/week for up to 2 miles at a time, jumping into a 4 day schedule won't be a good idea.

If you can provide the details of your running history it will be possible to fill in the blanks here. :)

Thanks for your reply! I was doing really well until October hit, and it has been a crazy month. Before that, I had gotten up to about three miles a couple of times a week and then some shorter runs in between. I try to run at least three or four times a week, but lately, it's only been at most three and for the past few weeks, the most I've been able to fit in is two miles, shamefully... I run very sloooooooooowly, so finding the time for a long run is hard... The past week, I only ran a mile or a mile and a half and did some VERY quick weight work because time was extremely limited. This week, time will be tight too, but I'm tired of putting this on the back burner. I will HAVE to fit it in! I always feel like I have a lot more left in me when I stop running, but time has hindered my "training." I will up my running to four days a week, like you said, and add in a day of intervals. Ugh. I hate intervals, but you're right, it will build my endurance, I know.

Stephanie,

Have you used the Couch to 5K training program? I know you want to get to 5 miles by next month but they have different training routines for different distances.

I used C to 5k last Spring to get back into running after a 15 YEAR hiatus. It was perfect AND it trains you to run at a 10 min/mile pace doing walking and running intervals. You can choose if you want to use time or distance intervals.

Seriously, it's an extremely well designed program and it only has you running 3 days per week.

If you have a treadmill, that worked well for me for to build up my time/distance. If you have a gymboss, that works well too for outdoor training (or just check your watch).

HTH!

I don't know if it's the c to 5k guy, but I JUST found a great training program by Hal Higdon that is a 10K training program for novices... It's an 8 week program, but I think I'll do weeks three through six (week six is the "five mile" run week). He has you running three days per week... On Mondays you "stretch and strengthen." He encourages lighter endurance weight workouts, then on Tuesday, I'd run 2.5 miles this week, and the rest of the weeks, three miles... On wednesday, 30 minutes of cross training, on Thursdays, 2 mile run plus strength training, Fridays are rest days, Saturdays, 50-60 minutes of cross training and on Sundays the long run... four miles this week building up to five miles the week before the race... What do you guys think? Sounds manageable to me...

Any ideas for workout DVDs on the "cross training" days? He said it's also good to just walk on those days...

Stephanie,

That sounds great! I'd suggest a circuit workout for one of the cross training days since he only has you doing one day of strength training. I suggested a circuit workout so you don't overtax your legs on their day off running.

For the other cross training day, considering doing something other than walking. Walking and running don't have any lateral movement for your legs so maybe something like barre, kickboxing, dancing, or bootcamp type cardio (i.e. Burn it Off from CLX).

That will give the other muscles in your legs/hips/glutes a chance to work and help prevent injury from overuse.

That's so cool you're running the race w/ your DH! Even if this race is a bit longer than you'd like, you're still early your training and there's always more racing opportunities. :)

I love talking about running.

Sorry, I know I've beaten this horse to death, but I'm desperate... so HELP!!!

OK, I'm running in a 5-mile run in... ONE MONTH!!! It's my first ever run. Problem is, I don't feel like I'm ready. But I don't want to give up on this. I'll feel like a failure, and it's really important to me. My husband, the runner, has been very sweet, telling me it's a run/walk, so I'll run then walk and all will be well... But I want to run the entire thing... So I need help from my fellow Cathletes!

Can anyone out there help me design a training rotation? Just to let you know what I have as far as DVDs: I recently ordered some new DVDs that I thought would be good to mix in with my running days... like Jackie Warner's new timesaver (it can be done on running days because it's only 30 minutes long) and, don't laugh, but Marissa Tomei's workout, which I think looks great, but haven't tried yet... I also have ordered Cathe's Muscle Max and already have lots of Cathe DVDs, of course (but no step, though--I'm clumsy), Cardio Barre, yoga, etc...

Anyone feel like helping me out? I'd be VERY grateful!!!

Also, any of you guys who have trained for a run before, how have you changed your diet during that time? I know I need to make some major changes in that department, unless candy corn and wine are optimum runners' foods.... :eek:

I'd appreciate any help out there!! Thanks!!!

Simple rotation breakdown that I use when training for short races (which are my favorite anyway.)

Day 1: Jog/Walk, Yoga (15 min?) or Stretch max
Day 2: Steady State cross train cardio (lower intensity no intervals.) 30 min., + Core (your choice.) This could be a 4DS cardio segment + Core max (of your choice)
Day 3: Jog/Walk, Yoga (15 min?) or Stretch max or a ballet segment
Day 4: off
Day 5: Jog/Walk, Yoga (15 min?) or Stretch max
Day 6: Step Circuit or Whole body workout
Day 7: off

As for your diet, if the candy is not causing a problem worry less about that and more about getting as much health fuel into your body as is possible. This is a time to feed yourself because a race is not a time to be short on calories. Healthy carbs (whole fruit, quinoa, brown rice, millet) and plenty of good oils (needed to help repair). Don't over do the weight training. You need to not be sore all over in order to run. Take an anti-inflammatory if you hurt. Take epsom salt baths when you can. Never, ever skip the post run stretch. That will cause you serious harm.

This is not a time for Imax, Low Max, Imax 2, or Imax 3. Save your intervals for your running.

Don't be embarrassed by having to walk/run. Everybody does! Its a well honored and very effective technique.

I love running, it can be a lot of fun.

"As for your diet, if the candy is not causing a problem worry less about that and more about getting as much health fuel into your body as is possible. This is a time to feed yourself because a race is not a time to be short on calories."

This is the best answer yet. LOL :) Candy corn is a Halloween addiction of mine, so it has become a problem. Ugh... I love it so... As lovely as eating more sounds, I really need to drop some serious pounds. I gained five pounds over the summer so now I need to lose about 15 pounds to be at an OK weight, so I'm hoping I can train AND lose some weight... I won't cut my calories to where it interferes, but I just need to clean things up a bit. Any suggestions, guys?? I read that 50 percent carbs, 25 percent protein and 25 percent fat is the optimal recreational runners' diet... But I have no idea how to adhere to this on a vegetarian diet, no less... Any suggestions??

Thanks for all of your replies!! Keep them coming... I'm getting psyched up about this run!!! :)

ETA: Don't know why the quote wasn't in blue above... oops!

I don't know if it's the c to 5k guy, but I JUST found a great training program by Hal Higdon that is a 10K training program for novices... It's an 8 week program, but I think I'll do weeks three through six (week six is the "five mile" run week). He has you running three days per week... On Mondays you "stretch and strengthen." He encourages lighter endurance weight workouts, then on Tuesday, I'd run 2.5 miles this week, and the rest of the weeks, three miles... On wednesday, 30 minutes of cross training, on Thursdays, 2 mile run plus strength training, Fridays are rest days, Saturdays, 50-60 minutes of cross training and on Sundays the long run... four miles this week building up to five miles the week before the race... What do you guys think? Sounds manageable to me...

Any ideas for workout DVDs on the "cross training" days? He said it's also good to just walk on those days...

Ooooh - this is a great idea!!!!! I like having a set schedule - this could really help you with your motivation and "finding time." You'll have a schedule to reach your 5mile goal - treat it like an appointment with yourself and simply MAKE the time, no excuses!!!! Especially on those running days. If you simply HAVE to skip a workout to accommodate other things going on in life, try to make it a non-running workout.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.